Pirate Day!

MichelleChell

International Talk Like a Pirate Day has been around for almost 20 years and my state is one that recognizes it..yay! I fail to see how this idea is "gimicky" or "stealing from Disney" simply because Disney made a very popular series of movies. The Caribbean has a rich history that includes some of the most infamous pirates in history; Disney didn't create that.

Carnival bills itself as the "Fun Ships" and I guess if people are that turned off by the idea, they can sail other lines, or not sail in September. I think it's a neat, new addition :)

It sure has - WOW...

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

It seems to be getting an awkward reception over there as well. It appears oit took getting 24 CD's together to copy other lines ideas instead of something new and inventive. Maybe next they'll have the horn blowing Hickory Dickery Dock during sailaway.

Perhaps life size Fruit of the Loom furuit characters is next. Those 4 guys need some more exposure, and fit fight in.

You seem like such an unhappy negative person. Do you just not like anything and always grumpy? or do you do it to get a rise from others? Its not really working.

You seem like such an unhappy negative person. Do you just not like anything and always grumpy? or do you do it to get a rise from others? Its not really working.

No, I don't like second rate Johnny Come Lately copycats.

NCL did it in their early years, copying every little thing CCL did, but poorlly. It didn't work for them, and luckily, they dropped it and became innovators.

Its painful to watch CCL do the same thing now.

Great idea if you are 6. but for adults?......pleeeese. Hey Carnival quit wasting money on stupid stuff and bring back the steel drum bands for caribbean cruises. NOT cartoon characters.

No. No no no no no.

The steel drum bands were AWFUL. What is wrong with you people? Are you ALL tone deaf? Sheesh.

Yeah, guess what people? Disney did not invent pirates. I know. Hard to believe. Disney didn't create a lot of their characters. Just one reason why I dislike the Disneyfication of kids. I have no idea why everyone thinks everything Disney has done or will continue to do is so wonderful. THEY stole other people's ideas/creations.

Oh, but never mind that!

Anyway, I think the Pirate Day sounds like fun. I don't dress up (even when I sail on Halloween). But I have no problem with something like this.

Here I thought I was the Oldest Fogey on these boards. Some of you guys need to just relax! :p

Krispy Kreme has been doing International Talk Like a Pirate Day for years. Go in and talk like a pirate, get a free doughnut. Go in dressed like a pirate, get a free dozen doughnuts. They even publish the minimum of 'dressed like a pirate' on their website (minimum of so many items off a particular list), so it's apparently pretty popular. I certainly wouldn't accuse them of copying Disney.

Yeah, I got a free dozen doughnuts for the office last September. My coworkers loved it. Then again, I also wore a mask to dinner when I was on the Epic for Mardi Gras in 2013, and the cruise director had totally forgotten it was Mardi Gras, so there wasn't anything official on the ship.

It's a vacation. Have fun with it, and let other people do the same.

NCL did it in their early years, copying every little thing CCL did, but poorlly. It didn't work for them, and luckily, they dropped it and became innovators.

Maybe someday I will see you have a positive reply to a post because I have never seen that.

Yes, the World Cup celebration is right up there with Umbrella Day.

The World Cup is one of the biggest sporting events in the whole world. Billions of people watch it. In some countries it is like a religion. Just because you don't have an interest in something does not make it unimportant for others.

I realise that your negative persona is all about getting a reaction (and congratulations, you got one from me) but you should at least try and base it on reality.

With the multitude of posts from people saying they don't wear long pants or shoes to the MDR because they have no room in their luggage, how are they going to be able to fit in a costume?

And what is a pirate without a hook or a sword. They are not going to let those items on even if they are made of plastic. And if they do, can you see the new rum runner collection of swords with a hidden tube for booze?

I for one will not be be taking part but I know for some it will be fun. So enjoy.

pretty sure you just like complaining about anything carnival does . go somewhere else:D

What, exactly do you assert they are "copying"? My boys dressed up as pirates for fun and Halloween well before Pirates of the Carribean came out, as have generations of other kids. :rolleyes: I guess I missed the memo where Disney had a lock on "all things pirate". You may wanna advise the people in St. Thomas, who run a pirate themed attraction, and let them know they are copycat's too.

You know what I'm not a fan of? People who dislike something, complain about it constantly and don't DO anything about it. If you don't like Carnival, stay off the CCL boards. It's very simple.

BTW-Your pirate name is Captain Grumpy Pants and the crew has decided ye shall walk the plank!!! Now pass me the rum!!!

What, exactly do you assert they are "copying"? My boys dressed up as pirates for fun and Halloween well before Pirates of the Carribean came out, as have generations of other kids. :rolleyes: I guess I missed the memo where Disney had a lock on "all things pirate". You may wanna advise the people in St. Thomas, who run a pirate themed attraction, and let them know they are copycat's too.

You know what I'm not a fan of? People who dislike something, complain about it constantly and don't DO anything about it. If you don't like Carnival, stay off the CCL boards. It's very simple.

BTW-Your pirate name is Captain Grumpy Pants and the crew has decided ye shall walk the plank!!! Now pass me the rum!!!

Here's the dirty little secret about marketting.

Make the visuals, or even the sounds so obvious, that when you see or hear it, your mind actually goes back toi the product.

Simply see a whale tail? Simply see a mouse, simply see funship Freddie? Simply hear Lust For Life? What do you then see?

Now, see a pirate, and what do you think of?

Make the visuals, or even the sounds so obvious, that when you see or hear it, your mind actually goes back toi the product.

Simply see a whale tail? Simply see a mouse, simply see funship Freddie? Simply hear Lust For Life? What do you then see?

Captain Morgan!! DUH! LOL!!!

I don't think this pirate thing has anything to do with their Marketing strategy, it is just another themed party night.

I think we should suggest that they copy Disney and have a Snow White night. You could be Grumpy. :D

I don't think this pirate thing has anything to do with their Marketing strategy, it is just another themed party night.

I think we should suggest that they copy Disney and have a Snow White night. You could be Grumpy. :D

Or a Harry Potter theme night and she could come as a Troll.....oh wait... :)

No!!!!!!!! That'll ruin my good reputation! :p

Honestly, if ya'll would just ignore it, it would not get any satisfaction.

Back in the days of smaller cruise ships, every night was a different theme night in the dining room (when there was only one of those) with the wait staff in the appropriate costume and the decorations throughout the dining room. Made for a very festive atmosphere. Some passenger dressed to match the theme night.

The late buffets (remember those as well) were themed as well. Depending the setup of the ship, some were held on and around the pool (catch the reruns of Love Boat).

So, Carnival is not really copying Disney, just reverting back to the days of ole.

MARAPRINCE

Back in the days of smaller cruise ships, every night was a different theme night in the dining room (when there was only one of those) with the wait staff in the appropriate costume and the decorations throughout the dining room. Made for a very festive atmosphere. Some passenger dressed to match the theme night.

The late buffets (remember those as well) were themed as well. Depending the setup of the ship, some were held on and around the pool (catch the reruns of Love Boat).

So, Carnival is not really copying Disney, just reverting back to the days of ole.

MARAPRINCE

Of course they are copying Disney, just like they copied NCL with the electric white night or whatever CCL calls theirs.

Doesn't make it a bad thing. They see it working for others so they are going to try their version.

CCL in recent times is always reacting to what the other lines do instead of just coming up with their own ideas.

Plenty of peeps love CCL so it's not a bad thing I guess. :)

Bill