Tipping for private excursions?

calteacher

We have all private excursions planned for our Mediterranean cruise. We nearly always tip when on a HAL excursion, but aren't certain what is expected on a private excursions. Basically these are independent entrepreneurs so they set the price for the excursion as the owner. What, if any, tip is expected for these tours in Europe?

Tipping 10-20% is not considered standard in Europe. Guides and drivers earn a decent wage and do not depend on tips. Locals certainly wouldn't tip that much.

Also, "Europe" isn't one country with one norm. It might be best if you do some Google searching on the norms for specific countries you'll be visiting.

Some will say there is no harm in bringing our American tipping habits with us when we travel, but I disagree. We upset the local custom, and guides/drivers/waiters learn to expect larger "American-style" tips from everyone...

We did mostly private tours on our TA/Baltic cruise last spring. One of our roll call members organised the tours and, as she posted the tour details on the roll call, she also posted the suggested tip for each one. These amounts were given to her by the tour company owners or, in some cases, the taxi company owners.

My point being, if you are doing your own organising, you could ask the person you are dealing with for some direction or, if someone on the roll call is organising, maybe you could ask them to post guidelines.

It was very helpful to know in advance what all the costs would be as I was able to do up cash envelopes in advance with the tour cost plus tip. Each day I just took the envelope of the day with us as we left for our tour.

Edited by sapper1

Tipping 10-20% is not considered standard in Europe. Guides and drivers earn a decent wage and do not depend on tips. Locals certainly wouldn't tip that much.

Also, "Europe" isn't one country with one norm. It might be best if you do some Google searching on the norms for specific countries you'll be visiting.

Some will say there is no harm in bringing our American tipping habits with us when we travel, but I disagree. We upset the local custom, and guides/drivers/waiters learn to expect larger "American-style" tips from everyone...

I agree completely from my experience of living in Spain about two months a year. Unfortunately, in a venue exposed to a lot of American tourists, service personnel have gotten used to tips and expect one. In restaurants and cabs, I generally round off to the nearest euro.

We did a cruiseline tour to Ephesus/Sirince (I think that's the spelling) on a large bus with 40 passengers, they had a tip jar at the front and the tour guide said any tips would be split between her and the driver. It was left to your own discretion how much to put in the jar.

For our independent tours (arranged with others on our roll call, between 4 & 6 of us on a tour), we generally tipped 5 EURO pp.

For our own independent tour in Naples (just the 2 of us) we ended up having such a great day, we each tipped our driver (not a licensed guide) 10 EURO for the 8 hour day.

SO whatever you feel their services were worth is what you give. I tip regardless of where I am, and I've never had a tip returned.

...One of our roll call members organised the tours and, as she posted the tour details on the roll call, she also posted the suggested tip for each one. These amounts were given to her by the tour company owners or, in some cases, the taxi company owners...

... they had a tip jar at the front and the tour guide said any tips would be split between her and the driver.

I really do understand the concept of tips and can be quite generous when the situation warrants it.

I do however have one hard and fast rule that I follow religiously when it comes to tipping: "If they in any way ask for a tip, they have just proven to me that they do not deserve one!". When applying the rule and the affected party gives me a dirty look (which has happened very rarely) I inform them of the rule. I have never had a comeback! ;)

p.s. I find asking for a tip as tacky as the old way Cruise Directors had of asking for "9's" on the survey. If you ask for a 9, you definitely do not deserve one!

Edited by taxmantoo

I really do understand the concept of tips and can be quite generous when the situation warrants it.

I do however have one hard and fast rule that I follow religiously when it comes to tipping: "If they in any way ask for a tip, they have just proven to me that they do not deserve one!". When applying the rule and the affected party gives me a dirty look (which has happened very rarely) I inform them of the rule. I have never had a comeback! ;)

>SNIP<

Does that include a tip jar? I personally appreciate having a tip jar visible, indicates that a tip is appropriate. Badgering me for a tip during a tour isn't appropriate IMHO but having a tip jar visible makes it apparent that tipping is appropriate.

Does that include a tip jar? I personally appreciate having a tip jar visible, indicates that a tip is appropriate. Badgering me for a tip during a tour isn't appropriate IMHO but having a tip jar visible makes it apparent that tipping is appropriate.

Tip jar is quite OK as long as they don't tell me four times where it is ;)

I tip regardless of where I am, and I've never had a tip returned.

Not sure I understand this part of your post at all.

If someone came to these boards from Europe and said about traveling in the US, "I don't tip regardless of where I am, and I've never had someone complain," folks would be all over them about conforming to the cultural mores of the place they are visiting. "When in Rome" and all that....

But somehow, because you are OVERtipping, you think it's okay and no one's suffering. However, you are changing the local environment by coming in and playing the wealthy American who feels entitled to tip "no matter what" local practice dictates. The people who live in that city year-in and year-out eventually have to adjust their own practices, thus eroding local culture.

Edited by cruisemom42

We have all private excursions planned for our Mediterranean cruise. We nearly always tip when on a HAL excursion, but aren't certain what is expected on a private excursions. Basically these are independent entrepreneurs so they set the price for the excursion as the owner. What, if any, tip is expected for these tours in Europe?

We tipped 10-15% last year in the Med. The tour guides are not the owners and rely on tips, however tipping is more moderate in Europe vs. US.

We did mostly private tours on our TA/Baltic cruise last spring. One of our roll call members organised the tours and, as she posted the tour details on the roll call, she also posted the suggested tip for each one. These amounts were given to her by the tour company owners or, in some cases, the taxi company owners.

My point being, if you are doing your own organising, you could ask the person you are dealing with for some direction or, if someone on the roll call is organising, maybe you could ask them to post guidelines.

It was very helpful to know in advance what all the costs would be as I was able to do up cash envelopes in advance with the tour cost plus tip. Each day I just took the envelope of the day with us as we left for our tour.

Sapper that was very considerate of the organizer..Good idea about your envelopes..

I happen to agree with cruisemom about tipping in Europe..I've been going to Europe since the late 50's & I'm alsways careful about over tipping..

Rick Steves has info on-line about tipping in Europe..Suggest those who are unsure should read it..This is a quote about tipping in Restaurants..

http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/tipping-in-europe

Tipping in Europe by Rick Steves

In most of Europe, a 5 percent tip is adequate, and 10 verges on excessive.

By Rick Steves

Tipping in Europe isn't as automatic and generous as it is in the United States, but in many countries, tips are appreciated, if not expected. As in the US, the proper amount depends on your resources, tipping philosophy, and the circumstances. That said, there are big tippers and there are misers the world over. Tipping varies widely by country, but some general guidelines apply.

Tipping at Restaurants

Restaurant tips are more modest in Europe than in America. At restaurants, check the menu to see if service is included; if it isn't, a tip of 5–10 percent is

normal

In most places, 10 percent is a big tip. If your bucks talk at home, muzzle them on your travels. As a matter of principle, if not economy, the local price should prevail. Please believe me — tipping 15 or 20 percent in Europe is unnecessary, if not culturally insensitive

Unquote

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Not sure I understand this part of your post at all.

If someone came to these boards from Europe and said about traveling in the US, "I don't tip regardless of where I am, and I've never had someone complain," folks would be all over them about conforming to the cultural mores of the place they are visiting. "When in Rome" and all that....

But somehow, because you are OVERtipping, you think it's okay and no one's suffering. However, you are changing the local environment by coming in and playing the wealthy American who feels entitled to tip "no matter what" local practice dictates. The people who live in that city year-in and year-out eventually have to adjust their own practices, thus eroding local culture.

I haven't traveled as extensively as you have cruisemom42. But I do not feel I am overtipping on an excursion that costs me 200 EURO to leave a 10 EURO tip. Nor when I pay 115 EURO for a hotel room for 3 nights to leave the maid a 5 EURO tip. Nor when I was in Australia, to not leave a tip of a dollar or 2 in a sit down restaurant. Now if I'm eating at a McDonalds or Pizza Hut, I don't leave a tip. Or throwing big bucks around as a wealthy American. I am by no means wealthy and my Med cruise put quite a dent in my finances, but I do still feel that whoever is providing a service to me deserves my thanks in the way of a gratuity. Sorry if you don't!

I haven't traveled as extensively as you have cruisemom42. But I do not feel I am overtipping on an excursion that costs me 200 EURO to leave a 10 EURO tip. Nor when I pay 115 EURO for a hotel room for 3 nights to leave the maid a 5 EURO tip. Nor when I was in Australia, to not leave a tip of a dollar or 2 in a sit down restaurant. Now if I'm eating at a McDonalds or Pizza Hut, I don't leave a tip. Or throwing big bucks around as a wealthy American. I am by no means wealthy and my Med cruise put quite a dent in my finances, but I do still feel that whoever is providing a service to me deserves my thanks in the way of a gratuity. Sorry if you don't!

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. Since you didn't give percentages or totals it wasn't possible to tell if you tipped 10 euro on a tour you paid 40 for, or 400 for.... I was just taking you at your word that you tipped at will, regardless of local custom, as that's what your last sentence implied.

To my mind, not having traveled extensively isn't an excuse anymore for not knowing the customs of the places one plans to visit, with information so readily available online and in dozens of guide books.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. Since you didn't give percentages or totals it wasn't possible to tell if you tipped 10 euro on a tour you paid 40 for, or 400 for.... I was just taking you at your word that you tipped at will, regardless of local custom, as that's what your last sentence implied.

To my mind, not having traveled extensively isn't an excuse anymore for not knowing the customs of the places one plans to visit, with information so readily available online and in dozens of guide books.

We consider ourselves fairly well traveled, and I do just as you suggested, and research the tipping customs in advance. My biggest quandary to date was Australia. We stayed in the Circular Quay area of Sydney, and dined at several nice restaurants. We ended up tipping 10%, which, as best as I was able to determine, was the custom for nicer restaurants. However, I do recall reading various online forums where some Australians were quite adamant that tourists shouldn't leave any tips, as it was skewing the culture.

Edited by RJ2002

We consider ourselves fairly well traveled, and I do just as you suggested, and research the tipping customs in advance. My biggest quandary to date was Australia. We stayed in the Circular Quay area of Sydney, and dined at several nice restaurants. We ended up tipping 10%, which, as best as I was able to determine, was the custom for nicer restaurants. However, I do recall reading various online forums where some Australians were quite adamant that tourists shouldn't leave any tips, as it was skewing the culture.

I have a good friend that lives just outside Sydney, and I've visited her twice. When we have gone out to nice restaurants, she does leave a tip but only for exceptional service.