los angeles to hawaii

kllychpmn

My wife and have done a few coastal cruises but we have heard the seas can be a bit rougher on the Hawaii trips. I dont get sea sick but even with a patch my wife gets nervous about it . I understand that any trip can hit weather , but as a rule should we expect to be effected . Thanks in advance for any info

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

A little reading on the Hawaii board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

would reveal it will typically be rougher (and cooler) the first couple of days out, and the last couple of days coming back.

Realistically, you must be prepared on any day on a ship. Seas can be rough anywhere, any time.

There's a current your ship needs to cross that can cause rougher seas. It's not for sure -- we've had slightly different experiences on our three Hawaiian cruises (all taken in late December to early January). On our first one, it was relatively smooth returning back to the west coast.

So I would definitely bring your bag of remedies if you're like me and are susceptible to motion sickness. Both my hubby and daughter aren't bothered at all by the motion.

For a Hawaiian cruise, I would definitely recommend booking a midship cabin and mark your booking "no upgrade." We did get an aft inside on our last cruise as the midships were already booked, and that actually worked for me too. There were plenty of forward cabins, but I wouldn't accept any of those (did have a far forward on our Alaskan cruise, but that was very smooth).

thanks we alway do book mid ship and as low a deck as possible . the info on the mid ocean current was interesting and makes a bunch of sense thanks. All though I hate airports We might have to bite the bullet and take a cruise out of Florida thanks again for the help

Yep I would have thought that but I had heard that the sailing around the islands could be tough as well . Last week I saw a lady taking snacks from the buffet back to her room in those bags

If you have time to fly to/from Florida why not explore a full transit of the Panama Canal? Usually about 14 days, which is comparable to a Hawaii itinerary.

It's a great trip....our trip in November '12 was smooth sailing on both sides of the canal....Pacific and Caribbean.

I used ginger gum (CVS drugstores have) on trip around Australia and south island New Zealand (serious seas!). Ginger gum, if you use it before you feel seasick, works really well. Also, green apples which steward will get for you.

Seas don't have to be rough to cause seasickness. My daughter suffers terrible motion sickness. I live in Southern California and took her on a short cruise to Puerto Vallarta. As soon as we left the breakwater in Long Beach, she started complaining of not feeling well. She ended up 3 days sicker than a dog in the cabin. I wouldn't say it was smooth as glass, but no rough seas or unusual waves, I was not bothered at all.

So if you are going to cruise, be prepared with treatments.