Amtrak Fort Lauderdale Station

cruisincorgi

Hello. I will be sailing this summer on the Caribbean Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. Decided to take Amtrak from Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale (tired of flying). Was wondering if anyone has ever done this, and what their experience was? I will be traveling in one of their roomettes. Also, could anyone comment on the ease, accessibility, etc. of getting a taxi from Fort Lauderdale station to the cruise port hotels. Thank you very much.

Hello. I will be sailing this summer on the Caribbean Princess out of Fort Lauderdale. Decided to take Amtrak from Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale (tired of flying). Was wondering if anyone has ever done this, and what their experience was? I will be traveling in one of their roomettes. Also, could anyone comment on the ease, accessibility, etc. of getting a taxi from Fort Lauderdale station to the cruise port hotels. Thank you very much.

You shouldn't have a hard time finding a cab, the station is on Broward just on the other side of I-95. What hotel are you staying at? I wouldn't arrive the day of my cruise because Amtrak is notoriously late. Like eight hours at times.

As far as traveling by train, it is one of my favorite ways to travel. I think you'll really enjoy it.

I am also planning to take the train to Fort Lauderdale. The train get there too late to catch the ship so you have to stay overnight in a motel when you arrive. I'll give you three close to the train station. Call and ask ?'s. Quality Inn & Cruise Port North, 954-463-2500, Rodeway Inn Airport & Cruise Port, 877-792-8181 and Ramada Inn Airport & Cruise Port, 800-509-9854. They are all in the same zip code as the train station. You will have to take the late train after the cruise to make it. Hope this helps.

This is a recent thread about taking Amtrak from Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale that might have some useful info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1998270&highlight=amtrak+to+fll

I am also planning to take the train to Fort Lauderdale. The train get there too late to catch the ship so you have to stay overnight in a motel when you arrive. I'll give you three close to the train station. Call and ask ?'s. Quality Inn & Cruise Port North, 954-463-2500, Rodeway Inn Airport & Cruise Port, 877-792-8181 and Ramada Inn Airport & Cruise Port, 800-509-9854. They are all in the same zip code as the train station. You will have to take the late train after the cruise to make it. Hope this helps.

All three are crap motels that I would never feel safe staying in. You can easily get a cab to a better part of town.

The train station is not in a nice neighborhood and those motels are some of the worst rated in Fort Lauderdale.

If there are no taxis just call 954-777-7777 for Yellow Cab.

I have taken that route on the Amtrak to Fort Lauderdale, I enjoyed my train ride .I had a roomette one time and the sleeper bedroom next. The train can be noisy and rattle but if you have ear plugs that will help. Also use the face towel to calm to rattling of the doors. If you do this the room is much quieter and the sleep is better. They serve meals on the train and having a roomette your meals are included, the meals are really good and they are hot cooked meals. There will be taxi at the Amtrak station on your arrival and they will take you to the hotel for between20-30 dollars. I booked a room at the Hampton Inn and they provided me with a shuttle to the port no additional charge. Enjoy your cruise

We are taking Amtrak next January. There is a Hampton Inn on North Andrews in Dwtn (not too far from the station)that I think offers a shuttle to the port. Contact the hotel to make sure. Unfortunately the hotel is not available when we are travelling.