This is not a smuggling thread...

Cruise Junky

But...does anyone have any experience bringing liquor onboard to take home? We both have the Premium package so smuggling would be stupid but I want a bottle of vodka from Hawaii that I can't get at home

Thanks

When you bring the bottle on board one of two things will happen:

1) They won't notice!

2) If they do notice they'll take it away from you and give it back on the last night of the cruise.

Not a big deal. I picked up two bottles of Scotch in Montenegro last summer. They took them from me when I boarded and gave them back the last night. Still enjoying them! Not smuggling.

When you bring the bottle on board one of two things will happen:

1) They won't notice!

2) If they do notice they'll take it away from you and give it back on the last night of the cruise.

Not a big deal. I picked up two bottles of Scotch in Montenegro last summer. They took them from me when I boarded and gave them back the last night. Still enjoying them! Not smuggling.

Excellent. Thank you I'll be very open with them and not try to hide it, we truly want it for home

We have always declared alcohol bought in similar situations but have found that it is dealt with in two different ways. If the port is one where purchasing alcohol ashore is common [e.g. Maderia], they are set up to expect it and will take the bottles away until the final day, as described above. However, if you make the purchase in a port where it is unexpected, they just say "oh, keep it with you".

We have always declared alcohol bought in similar situations but have found that it is dealt with in two different ways. If the port is one where purchasing alcohol ashore is common [e.g. Maderia], they are set up to expect it and will take the bottles away until the final day, as described above. However, if you make the purchase in a port where it is unexpected, they just say "oh, keep it with you".

We bought bottles of Madeira last cruise and kept them with us the whole time. No rhyme or reason.

But...does anyone have any experience bringing liquor onboard to take home? We both have the Premium package so smuggling would be stupid but I want a bottle of vodka from Hawaii that I can't get at home

Thanks

It won't be a problem as lots of passengers purchase alcohol for bringing home after the cruise. I bought two fifths of rum and one of banana liquor and none were confiscated in Barbados/St Maarten and I willingly sent the bags through the scanner with no challenges.

It MIGHT be confiscated and brought to you the last night but it won't be permanently taken if that is your concern.

But make sure you get a receipt when/if it is stored.

We bought a bottle of wine in Key West last year for use on a back to back sailing and somehow it was lost. We were given a substitute bottle but I suspect someone enjoyed our bottle.