Need a rental car in Honolulu on a sunday... suggestions?

brianlojeck

5/4/14 (Sunday), 7:00am, we dock at Pier 2 in Honolulu on the Grand Princess.

If we can get our butts to the North Shore by 10:00am we can get into a shark cage. We'd be back around 1:30 or so.

Between the places closed on Sunday and the places that close at noon on Sunday (so I can't return the car), I can't find a place within walking distance of the port.

Am I out of luck? Is there a rental company that has a shuttle from the cruise dock that's dependable enough for me to not worry about getting left behind in the evening?

Any advice is appreciated...

Your best bet is to rent at one of the Waikiki Hotels that contain rental car agencies. We have rented at both Budget and Avis locations there and both offered the option of returning your car after hours with a key drop. You will need to take a taxi as they don't offer shuttle service, but in my estimation it's still a good deal as renting a car is the best way to get around outside of town and really see Oahu. I think we generally paid about $10 each way from the port to the hotel rental locations.

Edited by karatemom2

You are arriving in the Downtown/Financial District on a Sunday. This is where your problem begins. It is probably just as far to a Waikiki office as it is to the Airport places. Keep in mind, if you rent from the Airport, you will have an additional fee tacked on.

It is also a good 60-90 minute drive to the North Shore (or check out Kaneohe Bay for shark cages too).

And I hope that the Grand will not have an immigration/customs inspection for its passengers. Even though you are docking by 7, the ship still will need to clear Port Authority before allowing passengers to disembark.

Displaced Local Girl

Your best bet is to rent at one of the Waikiki Hotels that contain rental car agencies. We have rented at both Budget and Avis locations there and both offered the option of returning your car after hours with a key drop. You will need to take a taxi as they don't offer shuttle service, but in my estimation it's still a good deal as renting a car is the best way to get around outside of town and really see Oahu. I think we generally paid about $10 each way from the port to the hotel rental locations.

Silly main-lander that I am, I keep thinking Waikiki and Honolulu are different cities. :-)

The thrifty is only 3 miles from the dock, if I can't catch a cab I can walk. Many thanks!

We rented a car at the airport. These rental places run shuttles to the port. We were in the berth next to the tower. We had to wait a while for shuttle both going to and coming from the airport. But we made it back to the ship in plenty of time even thought the shuttle took a longer route back. I would do it again. I would think they would be open on a Sunday being located at the airport. But better check.

Edited by dfields1814

Silly main-lander that I am, I keep thinking Waikiki and Honolulu are different cities. :-)

The thrifty is only 3 miles from the dock, if I can't catch a cab I can walk. Many thanks!

I live here in Honolulu.

The city bus line stops right in front of Aloha Tower that can take you to the airport to get a rental.

You can also get a cab... Faster. The Cab (808) 422-2222 is one I always use.

You are really taking a chance that you can do this all in an 8 hour span. Honolulu has the worst traffic in the US and Sundays are relatively better than a weekday, but you can get delayed.

If you're ships' next port of call is a neighbor island (Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii Island), you can take one of the many commuter flights if you miss you boat..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I live here in Honolulu.

The city bus line stops right in front of Aloha Tower that can take you to the airport to get a rental.

You can also get a cab... Faster. The Cab (808) 422-2222 is one I always use.

You are really taking a chance that you can do this all in an 8 hour span. Honolulu has the worst traffic in the US and Sundays are relatively better than a weekday, but you can get delayed.

If you're ships' next port of call is a neighbor island (Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii Island), you can take one of the many commuter flights if you miss you boat..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Grand will probably be docked in Honolulu until 11 PM. They should have plenty of time to get back to the ship. I am more concerned about them getting to their activity. Traffic downtown and around the airport should not be bad in the morning. Don't know when the Airport ViaDuct work will begin, but H-1 is going through some major repairs with restricted lane closers.

If they do miss their departure, they will also be fined for the PVSA fee. Lots of discussion on this on other threads. Don't think this is a concern.

Doable? Yes, if everything is in their favor. Good luck and have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Enterprise has an office on Ala Moana Blvd about 1/2 mile from the ship. We rented from them in Feb. on a Sunday and everything went great. They are open 8-5 Sundays.

Enterprise, although not the cheapest, if you reserve and then call them, will come pick you up, run the half mile back to finish paperwork, and you will be off.

At the end of the day, they will bring you back to the pier. Very accommodating.

I don't live there now, but was there for 14 years. I'm amazed today at the terrible traffic situation today, and, as a local mentioned, I do believe it to be the worst traffic in the United States.

Enjoy your cruise, and day on Oahu.:)

Aloha,

Rick

Enterprise has an office on Ala Moana Blvd about 1/2 mile from the ship. We rented from them in Feb. on a Sunday and everything went great. They are open 8-5 Sundays.

Agreed, our family uses them every time we are in port. It's a quick walk to and from and they also run shuttle buses to and from the ship.

Usually, one person leaves the ship first thing and then returns to Aloha Tower to pick up everyone else with the car.

have fun

As it turns out, the shark-tank people offer a shuttle service, so we're doubly good.

Thanks again, all...

Very glad this worked out for you. It is worth the shuttle cost to get you out there and back (and not have to worry about the time and driving).

Enjoy your excursion. Ask if they can drop you off in Waikiki or some other destination so that you can visit some other part of town. I am sure they will have drop offs at other hotels in the area.