A letter from the "absent" parent?

amber381

My DH, DD 14 and I are cruising next week, DH may not be able to go due to work.

We all have passports.

If he can't go, I am just going to tell them at check in that he will be arriving later.

In that case does anyone know if I should have the letter with me or is it OK because DH is on the booking as well?

Thanks!

Toni

My DH, DD 14 and I are cruising next week, DH may not be able to go due to work.

We all have passports.

If he can't go, I am just going to tell them at check in that he will be arriving later.

In that case does anyone know if I should have the letter with me or is it OK because DH is on the booking as well?

Thanks!

Toni

Just curious, why are you going to lie & say he will be arriving later if he won't be?

Better be safe to have the letter, especially since it's easily attainable since you are both the parents.

We sailed last month on Carnival Dream & even though we went through HELL to get the signed letter from the kid's mom, it gave me piece of mind knowing we had it! We weren't asked for it, but they easily could have and i didnt want any issues!!! Get the letter so it's one less thing to worry about!!!

We only had a birth certificate for the kid while me and my bf had passports.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Edited by shane_paula2014

We got the letter, but was never asked for it. I wasn't going to take any chances though, so it was worth the trouble for me.

I am beyond thrilled that the next time I cruise with both of my children, they will both be over 18 and I don't have to ask him for #&! $! As a matter of fact, I think I may just start looking for an 18th birthday cruise in January! LOL.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

We got the letter, but was never asked for it. I wasn't going to take any chances though, so it was worth the trouble for me.

I am beyond thrilled that the next time I cruise with both of my children, they will both be over 18 and I don't have to ask him for #&! $! As a matter of fact, I think I may just start looking for an 18th birthday cruise in January! LOL.

That IS exciting! ! Anytime we don't have to deal with the EX it's a great day! !! Haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

We cruise with my children, who have a different last name than mine as I'm remarried. We bring a notarized letter of permission from my ex-husband, their father, and would not travel without it. We've never been asked for it but I would not take a chance. If you have no contact with the absent father, I'm not sure what document you might use? I would post on the family forum.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

When my son went to the Dominican Republic with his bio dad I sent along a notarized letter just in case. He has traveled internationally with his dad many times but they have never requested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Marcie and Jay

Five kiddos ages 2-15

Grand Rapids,

Michigan

Carnival fascination 2001

Disney fantasy 2011

RCCL Allure of the Seas 2013

Is there a father on the birth certificate? I live in the States and there is no father listed on my daughter's birth certificate. When I went to get her passport, I was able to get it with no problem.

I asked the woman at the passport office if I would need anything else while traveling and she said no, the passport would be sufficient. I wonder if I should take a copy of her birth certificate too from now on, just in case.

We went to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman and Honduras once and they didn't ask any questions. Have been to the Bahamas several times and no questions.

Yes, take the birth certificate as proof. If they ask (which they do at times. It's a customs thing, NOT a Carnival thing) and you don't have proof they could not allow you on the ship.

One thing that I didn't realize until my kids were teenagers is that if you have FULL custody of your kids you do NOT need the letter. I take my notorized custody papers with me at all times when we travel showing that I have full custody and it is not an issue. I also used this when applying for their passports. I was so happy when I found that out cause getting a letter from my ex was a huge PITA.

Cheers to that!!!

We were on a cruise last week with a 16 y/o friend of my son's. We had a letter of permission of travel and a medical release signed and notarized from his parents. We were never questioned. I would not have left home without the proper paperwork. Better safe then to have an issue while gone.

My daughter and grandson are going with us next month on the Dream.

Both of them have a valid protection order for one year against the biological father that is signed by a judge and filed by the clerk of court. I think this document would suffice!

I just have to add our experience. My oldest is now 18, she has been on 4 cruises with us, she has a different last name than my husband, and youngest daughter and I. I have had the notarized letter of consent and her passport with us each time we traveled. Once we were questioned extensively, it was not pleasant and it scared my daughter. When they were satisfied we had not kidnapped her and answered all of their questions we were on our way. Not fun. I cannot imagine what would have happened without the notarized paper.

for the record, carnival recommends it for any child under 21. its in their documentation and in a previous thread, someone called and confirmed they recommend it for anyone under 21

Daughter and I cruise occasionally without husband and son. I always take the notarized letter. Have only been asked for it one time. Glad I had it.

This coming June I will be taking my daughter on a cruise without hubby, what should I include in this letter? Thank you.

Unless they are also "recommending" that parents with sole custody also obtain permission from the other parent ... they can't really enforce a custody order that no longer applies. Which is what happens when a child turns 18.

Which is what all of my documentation in my divorce decree from the State of Texas says, anyway.

But, they will still be booked in the adjoining stateroom until they are 21 or 25 or whatever. :)

Edited by christyran1228

We did a closed loop Disney cruise back in 2008 while husband was deployed to Afghanistan. Went through the whole thing with writing up the letter, sending it to him, having him sign it and get one of the officers to notarize it, send it to the US, etc. With two biological kids and two adopted from China (was also advised to bring the entire adoption paperwork mess) I was ready for a paperwork nightmare. No one asked for anything once the passports were handed over.

Doing a solo trip on Princess with oldest son in May. Will still get a notarized letter just in case. Better to spend the 14 bucks rather than be denied boarding if someone thinks I might kidnap a kid who's six inches taller than me and looks like he's 20 because we spend one afternoon in Canada.

All this yapping to say-- better safe than sorry. If you can get the letter, do it. My experience is --and I took the two older kids to Morocco on one occasion and Europe alone no one asked for anything besides passports-- they don't ask. But you don't want to be the one person they decide to ask.

I traveled with my DS (10) on the Splendor out of NY in March without my husband and was never asked for the travel letter either from the airline that we flew or from the cruise check in desk or anytime when returning to the boat after a port day. I always had the letter with me just in case though

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work in Amsterdam for several international airlines, and for some destinations we were required to ask for a notarized letter at check-in, and refuse passage if not available. You should not only think about getting the child out of your own country, but also getting him/her into another country and out of that other country again. Unfortunately, there is a lot of child trafficking out of third world countries for illegal adoptions, sex trade, etc., so authorities in those countries do check, even if the border patrol in your own country does not. If the child looks as if it is remotely possible that (s)he could be a national of that country, it is defo a good idea to carry a letter. Countries that check and double check thoroughly for example are the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Venezuela, to name just a few. If you are on a cruise, chances are you will not even see an official in port to ask you difficult questions, but if you are travelling home or transiting from/through a foreign country, that could be a different matter all together.

My experience is I have ALWAYS been asked for this letter while traveling to and from Mexico and Canada. I just took my daughter and her friend to the U.K. I had my husband's death certificate and the friend's parents had signed a permission to travel letter (it was notarized).

I was asked for both documents at passport control at Heathrow, and told if I didn't have these documents, I would have been denied entry and put back on a plane to the US.

Last week I returned with my DS and DD from a trip to Italy. I was asked for nothing. The agent stamping our passports as we entered Italy didn't even look up as he stamped the pages.

You just never know. Bring the paperwork!

Yes! Have that paperwork and notarized letter!!

Isn't it better to have it and not be asked, than to be asked and not have it?

Our first two cruises for my son and I without my husband I had the letter both times. First trip I was asked for it at the port, the second trip I wasn't.

This summer, my son is 18, and I won't need the letter of permission.

Last names don't matter. Sole custody doesn't matter.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day