Specialty Dining on the Spirit?

We will be sailing next month and would like to try some of the specialty dining options. Do we really need to reserve ahead? I know Teppanyaki books quickly, but what about the rest? Not sure if there is a difference with sailings in the Med. Thanks in advance :)

Up until now, there has not really been a need of pre-booking any of the specialty restaurants. But that might change now, after they started selling the UDP's (ultimate dining packages). But if you can be a little flexible regarding dinner times, then I would still believe that it is no problem waiting until you are on board.

Just a tip regarding the Sun though:

The Italian restaurant on board is actually the nicest designed restaurant on board, with all tables having a window view. We were on board the Sun both in July 2012 and January 2013, and after 15 NCL cruises on 7 different ships so far, my DH and I both decided that the Italian food served on the Sun was even better than the rest of the fleet. And the crew on the Sun the friendliest crew (and officers) that we have ever met on any NCL cruise.

This was a year ago, and I know they have changed one (or maybe both?) captains since then - but hopefully the rest is like it was then. If so - you really have something to look forward to! :)

Our favorite NCL specialty restaurant - on any ship - is Le Bistro.

Edited by TrumpyNOR

If you want to do the Chef's Table then book that straight away.

Unfortunately I don't think you can book that before you are on board the ship - at least that was the case last year when I asked my PCC to book it for me... But as it is (or at least was) "first come first serve" and it fills up pretty quick - the earlier you are on board on embarkation day the higher the chances of getting a couple of seats...

Edited by TrumpyNOR

I think you can book it in the cruise terminal at Barcelona......thru security, past the check in desks, just before the duty free......oops there goes another Barcelona secret!!!

It was the same set up in Malaga - we checked in - saw the dining reservations desk and booked the Chef's table before we were on the ship.:D Well worth it - a superb evening.

Up until now, there has not really been a need of pre-booking any of the specialty restaurants. But that might change now, after they started selling the UDP's (ultimate dining packages). But if you can be a little flexible regarding dinner times, then I would still believe that it is no problem waiting until you are on board.

Just a tip regarding the Sun though:

The Italian restaurant on board is actually the nicest designed restaurant on board, with all tables having a window view. We were on board the Sun both in July 2012 and January 2013, and after 15 NCL cruises on 7 different ships so far, my DH and I both decided that the Italian food served on the Sun was even better than the rest of the fleet. And the crew on the Sun the friendliest crew (and officers) that we have ever met on any NCL cruise.

This was a year ago, and I know they have changed one (or maybe both?) captains since then - but hopefully the rest is like it was then. If so - you really have something to look forward to! :)

Our favorite NCL specialty restaurant - on any ship - is Le Bistro.

I hadn't even thought about the impact that UDP might have! As we have a very intensive port schedule, I was hoping to have some flexibility with dining times. I will have to take another look at our schedule and perhaps do some advance booking.

Le Bistro is the one I am looking forward to most!

I think you can book it in the cruise terminal at Barcelona......thru security, past the check in desks, just before the duty free......oops there goes another Barcelona secret!!!

I won't tell anyone else if you don't :D BTW, I love your signature!

It was the same set up in Malaga - we checked in - saw the dining reservations desk and booked the Chef's table before we were on the ship.:D Well worth it - a superb evening.

Thanks for the feedback! This is our first time sailing NCL, but we just loved the Chef's Table on Carnival.

Thank you very much for that information - now I learned something new that I will definitely take advantage of on our next cruise in a couple of months time.... :D

Edited by TrumpyNOR

I frankly have to wonder how much people will take advantage of the UDP.

I would not spend an extra $238.00 per couple for the privilege of eating in a specialty every night and I enjoy the specialty restaurants. There are enough good free options without locking into this. Yes, I might eat in two or three on a seven night cruise. I am disappointed that they did away with the three night plan.

On the Epic in January, I was amazed at how easy it was to get into one at just about any time you wanted.

I have to agree it is not worth it for us - between the two of us we have the two platinum free dinners at Le Bistro (or 'equivalent'). The MDR offerings tempt us most nights so we can squeeze in the odd speciality when we feel like it. We sometimes do sushi for dinner if we do not feel hungry - not fully covered by the UDP.

I think one might feel 'forced' to do a speciality restaurant each night to get one's moneys worth (a bit like the UBP). They would need a wheelbarrow to get me off the ship!

Edited by SteveH2508

We will be sailing next month and would like to try some of the specialty dining options. Do we really need to reserve ahead? I know Teppanyaki books quickly, but what about the rest? Not sure if there is a difference with sailings in the Med. Thanks in advance :)

We were on the Spirit in March and we thought that the specialty restaurants were fairly busy by seven o'clock. Le Bistro seemed popular. The Spirit only has one Teppenyaki table which holds ten, so if it is something you really want to do, keep that in mind. They also offered Teppenyaki for lunch on sea days, but again make sure you have a reservation. We ate at the Italian restaurant on POA and thought it was very good. Unforunately it wasn't very good on the Spirit, though some of the seating was by the window so we had a nice view. We enjoyed the other specialty restaurants. Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Spirit in March and we thought that the specialty restaurants were fairly busy by seven o'clock. Le Bistro seemed popular. The Spirit only has one Teppenyaki table which holds ten, so if it is something you really want to do, keep that in mind. They also offered Teppenyaki for lunch on sea days, but again make sure you have a reservation. We ate at the Italian restaurant on POA and thought it was very good. Unforunately it wasn't very good on the Spirit, though some of the seating was by the window so we had a nice view. We enjoyed the other specialty restaurants. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much for the info! We have a comped meal at the Italian restaurant so we will at least give it a try :). There are no online options I have seen for reserving Teppanyaki which I would imagine is due to limited seating. It is very helpful to know to try and get to places early. I just hesitate to make too many reservations as after a long port day we might just want to hit the buffet! Did you try Le Bistro or Cagney's? I would like to book somewhere special for DH's birthday :). Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Shhhhh. Froggitt, I will be on in Nov and would love to get a small bottle on gin for the cabin, as I never manage to drink a litre on a cruise. I know, light weight. Did the duty free carry spirits or just wine?

The Chinese and le Bistro were both excellent in December, and neither was more than half full. However as above, that was before the UDP came along.

I agree, we were on the Spirit about a year ago, Le Bistro had folks in there, but in Chin Chin, the Asian, I think we were the only folks in there, and both were excellent. Enjoy.;)

Thanks so much for the info! We have a comped meal at the Italian restaurant so we will at least give it a try :). There are no online options I have seen for reserving Teppanyaki which I would imagine is due to limited seating. It is very helpful to know to try and get to places early. I just hesitate to make too many reservations as after a long port day we might just want to hit the buffet! Did you try Le Bistro or Cagney's? I would like to book somewhere special for DH's birthday :). Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We tried both (we had the UDP). My favorite is Le Bistro and my husband favors Cagneys. We couldn't reserve Teppanyaki online either and decided not to worry about doing it, but then I saw it offered for lunch and we decided to reserve for one of the sea days. I am sure you can make reservations on board for any of the specialty restaurants if you are willing to be a little flexible with the times.

Shhhhh. Froggitt, I will be on in Nov and would love to get a small bottle on gin for the cabin, as I never manage to drink a litre on a cruise. I know, light weight. Did the duty free carry spirits or just wine?

I wondered if anyone would pick up on the "real" secret in my post!!!

Yes its a full duty free.....there are two of them opposite each other just after the Chefs Table table.........spent half my spends on wine, gin, beer, fags, whisky and squandered the rest......

Our "group" had a prohibition party in one of the cabins one evening, drinking everyones smuggled booze :)

Another source of free booze that cruise was the 80s music quiz. I was quietly reading my newspaper on the iPad in Champagne Charlies, when it suddenly filled up with people for the quiz. None of my friends were around, so I entered myself as my own team. 20 questions later I am in the tie break, against a team of five or six people, and five tie break questions later, Im one bottle of bubbly better off. We drank it an hour later before dinner. :D

It is far from a secret. It's been discussed on here many times.

I don't know about the Spirit, but it isn't guaranteed when boarding at Barcelona. On the Epic they often have scanners as you board the ship, and will find anything you bought from the duty free. It seems to be something of a lottery whether they check or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wondered if anyone would pick up on the "real" secret in my post!!!

Yes its a full duty free.....there are two of them opposite each other just after the Chefs Table table.........spent half my spends on wine, gin, beer, fags, whisky and squandered the rest......

Our "group" had a prohibition party in one of the cabins one evening, drinking everyones smuggled booze :)

Another source of free booze that cruise was the 80s music quiz. I was quietly reading my newspaper on the iPad in Champagne Charlies, when it suddenly filled up with people for the quiz. None of my friends were around, so I entered myself as my own team. 20 questions later I am in the tie break, against a team of five or six people, and five tie break questions later, Im one bottle of bubbly better off. We drank it an hour later before dinner. :D

We were just on the Spirit, and now instead of prizes (like a bottle of bubbly!) for the winners of trivia and other events, you get a card to be initialed by the social staff person hosting the game. If you win he or she will initial it many times, if you participate they initial it less. At the end of the cruise you turn in your initialed cards for prizes. The more initials, the more junk (I mean prizes!) you can get. So even if you participate but don't win, you can earn prizes. But a bottle of bubbly wasn't offered!

I frankly have to wonder how much people will take advantage of the UDP.

I am disappointed that they did away with the three night plan.

On the Epic in January, I was amazed at how easy it was to get into one at just about any time you wanted.

I agree. We loved the Triple Dining choice too, and wish they had kept it as an additional option.

Oh well, lots of choices. Is the Chef's table around $80 pp? If so, it might be something to consider on our next cruise.

We were just on the Spirit, and now instead of prizes (like a bottle of bubbly!) for the winners of trivia and other events, you get a card to be initialed by the social staff person hosting the game. If you win he or she will initial it many times, if you participate they initial it less. At the end of the cruise you turn in your initialed cards for prizes. The more initials, the more junk (I mean prizes!) you can get. So even if you participate but don't win, you can earn prizes. But a bottle of bubbly wasn't offered!

Back in December, they gave the fizz to the winner, and everyone who wanted got initials on a card. No idea what they got for initials.