Gifts for Room Steward

tlsearay

I was a "lowly" cruise ship worker for 8 years' date=' trust, me, most have no interest in being patronised with an email address.. [/quote']

Yeah, I trust some random internet person claiming to work on a ship....

I trust you about as far as I could throw you.

We know how hard they hustle on changeover day. They have the linens in your cabin the night before so they can get a jump on things. They have just a few hours to clean up your cabin before the next people embark. Now imagine giving a $2 bill, perhaps the least-exchanged currency and definitely the least practical when you factor in that they might be using it in a Caribbean island, folded into some impossible little origami. It's almost a joke.

I have no problem with people giving items because they want to go above and beyond mere cash and into the realm of the truly heartfelt. But the best bet is cash, the normal way one would have cash in their wallet- straight, and a sincere verbal thank you the night before or day you disembark.

You are simply rude. All of the CC Members (and YES! I have been a Member for 16 years), regardless of if they are past employees or regular cruisers, or new cruisers, or all of the above, come here because of their love of the industry. I find it SO hard to sit here at times and listen to people on MANY of the threads that are supposed to be fun being so NASTY!

NO ONE DIED AND MADE ANY OF YOU GOD OF CRUISING, GOD OF KNOWLEDGE OF EVERYTHING CRUISING, OR JUST PLAIN GOD TO PASS JUDGEMENT!

I truly miss the days when people could come here for information, to talk about and anticipate their vacation, to help each other gather information and get excited, and to pass ideas that you could either take or not. Also, to meet people that you will be on board with. It is nasty people that take the fun out of this.

I TRULY miss the days of making good friends on here! Thank goodness I have learned almost exactly WHICH posters to ignore! Because almost everything they say is going to be negative or nasty, and almost everything they are going to post is a slam! SAD!

Dawn

I too don't understand this, it's very patronizing and problematic to treat people of color in the service industry like little children by giving them treats for a job well done. especially when the gesture is really a way for you to appease your guilt at having someone clean up after you all week. If you want to do something for exemplary service tip them extra or make note if it in your post cruise survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why are you playing the race card.....People are just trying to do something that they feel is a nice gesture...just because it is something that you wouldn't want...doesn't mean that it is patronizing and racist. Yes, cash and comment cards are great and are always first on their lists of wants....but don't judge others hearts!!!!!

Huh? What's "people of color" have to do with anything?

It has nothing to do with it IMHO. It is just so many people including the poster who first mentioned it are so caught up in drinking the "kool aid" that they have no clue what is really racist and what is not.

Now affirmative action is really a racist concept. Why should any group at all be given preference over any other group anyway?

And asking race and ethnicity question on forms is racist

And asking if someone is Caucasian or Hispanic is racist. Why? Because that is the comparing apples and oranges

Caucasian is a race. Hispanic is an ethnic culture. Just like Irish German Italian. Some Hispanics identify as Caucasian some as African etc

It should also be remembered that spa innards aka castilians are Caucasians and European and are not identified as Hispanic. Nor do brazialians for the most part identify as Hispanic as they are for the most part Portuguese whic too is not Hispanic.

Does anyone now underdtand why we really need to stop the race card and just learn and understand where people are from and learn about the 4 major races on earth as well as the hundreds if ethnicities in the world.

No one seems to get this not seems to care but jump on the racist wagon because it is politically correct. To ignore race and ethnic background would actually be the intelligent thing to do and to just have an Interest in someone ancestry would be so mature and enlightened

But describing someone based on what they look like is not racist. It is just a description.

How exactly would you describe someone from the Philippines? Or from Norway? Or from Uganda?

I know how I would physically describe them. Which is how they look.

Edited by Crusin6

They are only voicing their opinion! Why so angry? I personally would only want to receive cash or a letter to my boss if I worked in that type of work but I have no objection to people giving staff other gifts. I haven't usually done that for staff that are in a service capacity but have done so for staff of medical office since they do not work for tips. Actually in my line of work I'm not permitted to accept cash or anything of great monetary value is it would be deemed a bribe for drugs or better treatment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

I created a Thank You card with "thank you" in different languages (hopefully theirs is on it!) and thanking them with our names and cabin number. I let them know that we were honored to have them as our cabin steward, assistant, waiter, etc. We then put in an extra $20-$40 to match the job they gave us. They all seem to love that...the money, I mean. One bartender we used every night, who knew what we wanted after the first night, loved the card as much as the money. Said he was going to keep the card!

They can use the money to purchase what they need in the ports, or do whatever they need to with it. I have also e-mailed Carnival's CEO about a particular cabin steward which he forwarded to the cabin steward, who in turn e-mailed me back thanking me. He was so excited that the CEO had e-mailed him with compliments!

This is huge for them. I do speak to the crew a lot and get to know them and while I have never asked them about buying gifts, it is a HUGE deal for them to be mentioned positively in post-cruise surveys. Since I don't seem to get surveys after sailing on Carnival, I left notes at Guest Services for the department heads mentioning the great jobs a couple of the people did.

Great idea! I don't surveys anymore either and I miss that!

Why are you playing the race card.....People are just trying to do something that they feel is a nice gesture...just because it is something that you wouldn't want...doesn't mean that it is patronizing and racist. Yes, cash and comment cards are great and are always first on their lists of wants....but don't judge others hearts!!!!!

Huh? What's "people of color" have to do with anything?

Ignoring the inherent dichotomy between the pax and stewards just perpetuates the problem. But in the interest of making everyone feel more comfortable, never mind my comment

Ignoring the inherent dichotomy between the pax and stewards just perpetuates the problem.

Love it... d@mned if you notice, d@mned if you don't notice. :rolleyes:

What exact problem is perpetuated?

Remindes me of:

Dennis the Peasant
: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

41LtTQdvRKL.jpg

Edited by dd2355

I have two thoughts on this:

1. On my second cruise, my BF insisted on bringing a space shuttle coin to give to the room steward. I told him it was silly, but he would not listen (he worked at NASA and thought it was cool). He gave it with a $20 tip, and I could tell the room steward did not really understand the coin and probably just threw it away - a waste of $3.95.

2. What does it hurt to leave a candy bar or something with a cash tip? Who cares if someone does this? They are less than $1 at Wal-Mart. I work in education (not a teacher) and I would love it if one of my students brought me a candy bar or something as thanks. That would be nice! It's just a gesture, what is the big deal?! If they don't like it, they will most likely give it to someone else (bet the guys in laundry would love a candy bar). Worst case scenario, it gets ground up for fish food with the rest of the waste all over the ship, no big deal.

Well aren't you just charm personified:eek:

TBH it really doesn't faze me if people choose to believe I worked on CCL from 01-09, the OP came on asking a question, based on my knowledge and experience from being there and working with thousands of crew over the years, based on that, I answered.

I understand that Cash is the most universal "thank you"

but My boyfriend works in the service industry (waiter) and he has gotten a number of extra items as part of his tip that he has enjoyed. Medieval Times tickets, movie tickets, some chocolates from Switzerland after having a conversation with an older couple who were here visiting for the birth of their grandchild. Honest thank yous are also appreciated, yes it is their job and yes they are working to do you a service but that does not mean they are lesser than you and leaving someone a chocolate bar in addition to a cash tip is hardly demeaning. ( No, that is when you say "Thanks you did an amazing job!" even write a note on the receipt, but only tip $.50 on a $80 check :confused: ....that is demeaning...)

We are going to leave extra cash tips for a job well done but we wanted to bring something they might enjoy that they cant get, on the boat. It doesn't make me "feel Better" I just want to make them feel like a person, not just someone who is there to "serve me"....just my opinion... So I might waste $2 bringing them strange "American candy" but I might not....every individual is different, Some may appreciate, some may not but that is person to person

Ignoring the inherent dichotomy between the pax and stewards just perpetuates the problem. But in the interest of making everyone feel more comfortable, never mind my comment

I was a sociology major, I get where you are coming from, and I think realities regarding POC need to be pointed out. The problem is that many stewards are from Eastern Europe and I really don't think people are approaching it with "gee, what should we get that little Asian guy as a treat" in mind. I could be wrong. It's more "gee, what should we get that super sweet, always smiling guy running around cleaning all day as a treat."

You've taken some heat here, I think your words were misplaced, but is commend you for being strong enough to come back to the conversation and aware enough to have the subject on the brain. <3

Next cruise I'm going to keep some $1.00 bills with me, for those working in the buffet dining area. They work just as hard.

Are you planning on handing cash to the omelet maker the sirloin slicer the pizza guy the ice cream scooper while they are doing their job with plastic gloves on?

Seriously all of those people including the guy cleaning the tables are already sharing in the dsc.

Next cruise I'm going to keep some $1.00 bills with me, for those working in the buffet dining area. They work just as hard.

I hope not. The filth of the money would be spread around a food prep area.

Just the ones cleaning the tables. This last cruise I notice how rude some of the cruisers can be to these servers. One day I had a server cleaning my table and a guy at a table behind snapped his fingers, pointed to the mess on his table to be cleaned. I was like how rude and demanding. We had such wonderful service when we went to the buffet for breakfast or lunch. I thought how nice it would be to leave a little extra.

I hope not. The filth of the money would be spread around a food prep area.

This.

Plus they're included in the tip pool anyway.

I think it is a good idea if you want to tip those who are clearing tables in the buffet area - I don't think the any germs from the money would be a problem on the dirty dishes.

How do you know that everyone who is working in the buffet area is included in the auto tips? It could be a guy sweeping the floor or emptying the trash that doesn't normally get tips. It is possible that they could be included but I don't think we should assume that everyone in that area is.

You are simply rude. All of the CC Members (and YES! I have been a Member for 16 years), regardless of if they are past employees or regular cruisers, or new cruisers, or all of the above, come here because of their love of the industry. I find it SO hard to sit here at times and listen to people on MANY of the threads that are supposed to be fun being so NASTY!

NO ONE DIED AND MADE ANY OF YOU GOD OF CRUISING, GOD OF KNOWLEDGE OF EVERYTHING CRUISING, OR JUST PLAIN GOD TO PASS JUDGEMENT!

I truly miss the days when people could come here for information, to talk about and anticipate their vacation, to help each other gather information and get excited, and to pass ideas that you could either take or not. Also, to meet people that you will be on board with. It is nasty people that take the fun out of this.

I TRULY miss the days of making good friends on here! Thank goodness I have learned almost exactly WHICH posters to ignore! Because almost everything they say is going to be negative or nasty, and almost everything they are going to post is a slam! SAD!

Dawn

I'm trying to find the "Like" button...

I spoke with a friend who worked for a cruise line. She said " believe it or not they like to receive smelly soaps and toiletries". Hope this helps

"She" likes smelly soaps. I can't imagine a "he" showering with scented soaps. :)

I think it is a good idea if you want to tip those who are clearing tables in the buffet area - I don't think the any germs from the money would be a problem on the dirty dishes.

How do you know that everyone who is working in the buffet area is included in the auto tips? It could be a guy sweeping the floor or emptying the trash that doesn't normally get tips. It is possible that they could be included but I don't think we should assume that everyone in that area is.

Well then we should all start tipping the washy washy person. The pool towel person The guy grilling on the lido barbecue. The guy vacuuming the elevator waiting area

Really that is the point of the dsc so you do not have to concern yourself with who gets tipped and who doesn't.

It is not my place to question how much lower level crew get paid. If I feel it is " slave labor" my choice is to not patronize a cruise.

Tip the waiter and steward extra ok I get it but when you start tipping everyone who crosses your path then it is obvious you feel guilty for being able to cruise and quite possibly a better way to spend your time off is helip the poor and malnourished in Central America Africa India etc.

Edited by Crusin6