Bait and switch with sales?

portx5

I am SOO upset... well, more disappointed, I guess, in Carnival. Every time I see mention of some great sale, I go try to do a "booking" to see if the rates have changed or OBC was added or some sort. We are booked Early Saver so I know that we can get a better rate/OBC if it is available for our room type.

With this last sale with the $150 OBC I checked EVERY DAY for our cabin type (4K) to be available, and it wasn't. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Figured they had sold out.

Well, today, I checked again and doing nothing different and well, lo and behold, there are now 11 4K cabins available. I just could not believe it. How could that happen?

I am so disappointed that we will not be able to take advantage of the sale with the OBC because of this, and I believe it would have had a lower rate than what we booked at. I am curious, though, has this happened to anyone else?

Just sign me...

Venting away in Virginia...:(

We sail June 22, so final payment for us is around the end of May. I don't know, the previous poster may have been correct, but I tried every price point and could not find those cabins. Oh well... maybe I am just paranoid! Thanks for the idea about the TA!

This is not at all uncommon, although it's hardly a "bait and switch". You were not promised one product for a price and then switched to an inferior product for the same price.

You already booked under one promotion: the Early Saver rate. Getting that rate PLUS a different promotion that comes with OBC would be considered double dipping. You either get the lower rate OR get the OBC at a higher rate.

And probably the reason why you didn't see any cabins in your category when you clicked on the OBC promotion was simply because the category wasn't available under it. I bet that if you had unselected the promotion, you would've been able to see the cabins in your category again. I see this all the time when I try to book under a work related promotion that I qualify for. Not all categories are available.

But now that you know that your category isn't sold out, keep checking rates for actual price drops (not added perks like OBC's). If you see a price drop, then you have a claim. But don't expect Carnival to offer you an OBC if it's a perk associated with a higher rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I am SOO upset... well, more disappointed, I guess, in Carnival. Every time I see mention of some great sale, I go try to do a "booking" to see if the rates have changed or OBC was added or some sort. We are booked Early Saver so I know that we can get a better rate/OBC if it is available for our room type.

With this last sale with the $150 OBC I checked EVERY DAY for our cabin type (4K) to be available, and it wasn't. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Figured they had sold out.

Well, today, I checked again and doing nothing different and well, lo and behold, there are now 11 4K cabins available. I just could not believe it. How could that happen?

I am so disappointed that we will not be able to take advantage of the sale with the OBC because of this, and I believe it would have had a lower rate than what we booked at. I am curious, though, has this happened to anyone else?

Just sign me...

Travel agencies reserve blocks of cabins for their clients, especially if they have group cruises planned. Then after a certain date they have to release these cabins back to the cruise lines. This is why the cabin category you wanted wasn't available at the beginning but came available later.

Hopefully you will get what you want the next time.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Are you sure about your final payment date? Final payment is usually 60-75 days prior to departure date depending on the number of days of the trip. If you are sailing June 22, final payment would be due sometime in April, not the end of May. Just don't want you to miss paying it late!

Just sign me...

What exactly is the "bait and switch" you're claiming? Either the cabins weren't available, or the rate you wanted to compare to wasn't eligible for any of the rates you hoped to match. Do you really think Carnival would withhold 11 cabins so that others couldn't take advantage of price drops? Come on now.

We have booked a cruise that was over 450 days out and could not get early saver for it an 8A , at the moment still over 250 days still can not get early saver for it. When i called, i was told the room our room type an 8A still does not qualify for early saver. It does though for fun select which is what i am booked under, If we did not like my room location as much as we do i would move. I have learned so far.. early saver will not be available when you book out as early as I did. Not sure if i should wait it out and hope for early saver to pop up.. for the room type or if there will be a sale for our 8A room

Are you sure about your final payment date? Final payment is usually 60-75 days prior to departure date depending on the number of days of the trip. If you are sailing June 22, final payment would be due sometime in April, not the end of May. Just don't want you to miss paying it late!

I'm also cruising a 7 day on June 22nd & my final payment is the end of May. They recently ran a special which was $50 deposit with final payment due 30 days before sailing.

Edited by Westbank is bestbank

Some sales are 30 day final payment.

I'm also cruising a 7 day on June 22nd & my final payment is the end of May. They recently ran a special which was $50 deposit with final payment due 30 days before sailing.

Correct I have seen this promotion with the 30 day final payment date.

However, any agency blocked space would have been under the standard earlier payment contracts. So these cabins, now available could still have been unsold group space.

Not bait and switch.

Edited by Budget Queen

We have booked a cruise that was over 450 days out and could not get early saver for it an 8A , at the moment still over 250 days still can not get early saver for it. When i called, i was told the room our room type an 8A still does not qualify for early saver. It does though for fun select which is what i am booked under, If we did not like my room location as much as we do i would move. I have learned so far.. early saver will not be available when you book out as early as I did. Not sure if i should wait it out and hope for early saver to pop up.. for the room type or if there will be a sale for our 8A room

I was going to suggest booking an 8B since they can be booked early saver and would probably save you money vs. a fun select rate but I see you like your location.

Bill

Last month I booked a B2B on the Liberty for Nov 2015 at the Early Saver rate.