Any really good Hawaiian BBQ in walking distance of Nawiliwili Harbor?

brianlojeck

we've got some time, I figure drinks at Duke's won't take too long... and all I've had it L&L... any really great "Plate Lunch" places in walking distance of the cruise dock on Kauai?

If you follow the walkway along the harbor, and then turn toward Lihue there is a shopping area with a few restaurants. Don't know how good they are. You can't really walk any further into Lihue, there is no pedestrian access. You would have to take a cab to go into town. We did what you did, stopped at Duke's for a light snack and a few beers.

I'm not sure about BBQ. There's a sports bar type restaurant right on the water at the Anchor Cove (?) shopping center which is right next to Dukes. They have some Hawaiian type food on their menu. Across the street is an older two story mall which has a Mexican restaurant upstairs and a bar that serves food downstairs. I've only eaten at the Mexican restaurant.

You can walk into Lihue, I've done it, there are grass verges to walk on, but there's no point, there's nothing better in Lihue than there is at the port.

I've eaten at the restaurant in Anchor Cove, the food was completely blah and uninteresting. I think you need to get away as far as Poipu or Kapaa to find good local food.

The Rainbow is worth the walk and it will kill some time try the LocoMoco you will be able to say you were really in Hawaii.

We stayed on the island 8 days before we got on our cruise last fall this was one of the places we now tell friends to try.

http://rainbowdrivein.com/

Directions - you can walk back by the water front so do a circular route.

http://www.yelp.ca/map/rainbow-drive-in-honolulu#start=521%20Ala%20Moana%20Boulevard&mode=driving&swapped=false

Reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g60982-d434182-Reviews-Rainbow_Drive_In-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

Aloha

The Rainbow is worth the walk and it will kill some time try the LocoMoco you will be able to say you were really in Hawaii.

We stayed on the island 8 days before we got on our cruise last fall this was one of the places we now tell friends to try.

I agree that the Rainbow Drive-In is a great place to go for a plate lunch. But it's located in Honululu, and the OP was asking about a place to walk to from Nawiliwili Harbor in Kauai.