New Mexican cruise home port being built-Rocky Point

tjcletsgo

It looks like a really great itinerary but the negative that comes to my mind is how easy and inexpensive would it be fly there pre-and post-cruise.

This could be so cool. We can fly down on about 20 gallons each way:D

I thought I read that they built an airport? Or is one just planned? If the price was right I'd fly to Phoenix, change planes and fly to Rocky Point. You could be there by noon.:D

We could leave the house at 9:00 be at the airport at 9:05 ... be in the air by 9:15 and arrive before noon :D

Edited by MauiLvrs

One thing to take into consideration is that you'd have to have either a passport card or book. You wouldn't be able to get to the ship with just a birth certificate and ID.

Having done the 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise r/t from LA less than a month ago, I think this would be an interesting itinerary but probably not one for a big ship as there isn't a lot to do or a big variety of things to do in these small towns.

We think (but cannot prove) that there is more to this story then it appears. California adopted ship anti-pollution rules that forced cruise ships to burn a special low-sulfur fuel that costs a lot more then normal "bunker" fuel. (these rules will soon go nationwide) In addition, the demands of the Longshoreman Union have done nothing to reduce the cost of the cruise lines. And then there are the constant hassles from the US CBP folks which can make turning around a cruise ship even more difficult. And then there are the various restrictions resulting from the Passenger Vessels Services Act (PVSA) which is a 19th century US Law still imposed on cruise lines.

So along comes Mexico (our winter home) with an attitude that welcomes cruise ships and their business. Rather then throwing up more an more rules and regulations, Mexico is business-friendly and truly wants the business.

Unless their is a major attitude change in the USA towards the cruise business, we can envision more and more cruise ships moving their home ports outside the USA. There are already non-USA ports in the Caribbean (such as Antigua and Aruba) that are capable of acting as home ports. The cruise lines are going to do whatever is in their best interest which means maximizing their bottom lines.

Hank

Good observations you make here.

Have to make a point to take this itinerary before the cruise ports have two Diamonds Internationals and the obligatory Margaritaville or Carlos and Charlies.

We did almost this itinerary in an RV crossing over to the Baja in a Ferry that was like a mini cruise ship. We loved Matzalan, La Paz and Loreto...not Cabo so much (too touristy). I live in Al. and if the flights could be worked out would love to do this again. I agree with someone above, we spent 6 weeks in Mexico in our RV. It was a wonderful experience and the people were absolutely the kindest, sweetest people we have ever met in our travels.

:confused: Are there other ships currently home porting from a Mexican port? maybe Rocky Point will just be a port call. I just can't imagine ships making this port home.

Sent using Forums mobile app

I don't beleive so. Not any major ones anyway.

The shift is coming. Mexico is building a very large container terminal that will be served by the KCS and Mexican railroads. That could also attract cruise ships as well as divert container traffic from the ports of LA and Long Beach.

The requirement by US ports for ships to shut off their engines and use electricity as power while in port is an expense some of the lines may choose not to do. That, along with the cleaner burning fuel restrictions has caused some to begin charting their future and Mexico is a viable alternative.

Edited by swedish weave

The airport will see regular service when the cruiseport opens.

Also, there may be another port on the horizon that is an old military outpost. I could see this one being more akin to a private island (Isla Santa Margarita off the west coast of Baja), and given that it is on an island, it would solve much of the "Security" problems that cruise lines have struggled with in many ports.

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/carnival-corp-interested-new-cruise-tourism-initiative-mexico-34161

Obviously, Rocky Point construction has begun, so the likelyhood of it being completed is much higher than Puerto Cortes at this point.

The airport will see regular service when the cruiseport opens.

Also, there may be another port on the horizon that is an old military outpost. I could see this one being more akin to a private island (Isla Santa Margarita off the west coast of Baja), and given that it is on an island, it would solve much of the "Security" problems that cruise lines have struggled with in many ports.

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/carnival-corp-interested-new-cruise-tourism-initiative-mexico-34161

Obviously, Rocky Point construction has begun, so the likelyhood of it being completed is much higher than Puerto Cortes at this point.

Very interesting, thanks for posting~

Like 8X more expensive:eek:

The cruise lines have somewhat got around this. the "Scrubbers" installed on the exhaust systems of a few HAL, PCL, and X ships seem to be working. Although a high initial investment, it allows the ships to burn the sludge that is so polluting normally, so over time, they may actually come out saving money by burning dirtier fuel than they have been. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Hi all, I live in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) construction started on the breakwater for the homeport Dec 2013. I sit on the balcony of my condo and watch the progress every day. it is only about 1/2 mile down the beach from where I live. It will be the first home port in Mexico. Rocky Point is about 200 miles from either Tucson or Phoenix....Phoenix is closer for California residents. we do have an airport, at present only Aeromex and charter flights come in, but I am sure that when change when the port is completed. Rocky Point has beautiful beaches, all the water sports, whale watching tours and many other interesting things to see and do. It is a lovely place, hope all of you will come visit us when the port is finished. If you have any questions about my little piece of paradise, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Brenda

Hi all, I live in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) construction started on the breakwater for the homeport Dec 2013. I sit on the balcony of my condo and watch the progress every day. it is only about 1/2 mile down the beach from where I live. It will be the first home port in Mexico. Rocky Point is about 200 miles from either Tucson or Phoenix....Phoenix is closer for California residents. we do have an airport, at present only Aeromex and charter flights come in, but I am sure that when change when the port is completed. Rocky Point has beautiful beaches, all the water sports, whale watching tours and many other interesting things to see and do. It is a lovely place, hope all of you will come visit us when the port is finished. If you have any questions about my little piece of paradise, I will be happy to try and answer them.

Brenda

Must be so exciting to see this happening. We hope to be on one of these cruises in the near future. :)

Living in Tucson, a couple of misconceptions on the thread need to be clarified.

First, there is regularly scheduled flights from LAX to TUS. United has a jungle jet. And American Airlines also flies small jets to and from Tucson to Los Angeles. Southwest makes connections in Las Vegas for Tucson to Los Angeles.

Aeromexico technically still has access to gates in Tucson. They haven't been used in about 10 years but there is still an International Terminal and facilities for CBP at Tucson International Airport. (small planes do make the trip over the border all the time.

You do need a passport or passport card to cross the border (except sometimes like spring break, CBP will just caution you.)

However, you do not need Mexican Auto Insurance to drive from Phoenix or Tucson to Puerto Penasco, although it is probably a good idea. Your US Insurance usually will cover you in Sonora, but not if you are driving through Baja California (Norte).

Crossing the border can be a pain, but it is usually coming from Mexico to the US where the hold up is. Having the proper papers always helps. And don't try to bring back any contraband. (We used to buy a bag of oranges, since we knew they were not allowed to cross the border and just handed them to the CBP. Seemed to make a difference in that it appeared that we knew what was allowed.)

Can't wait for a Home Port 3 hours away from Tucson.

By the way the drive from Tucson (and to a lesser extent from Phoenix) travels through some of the most beautiful Desert areas available (Including right through the Middle of Organ Pipe National Monument.) On the other side, just to the west of the highway to Rocky Point is the Pinacate Natural Area (Mexico's sort of National Park) with dramatic cinder cone Volcanoes.

And American Airlines also flies small jets to and from Tucson to Los Angeles.
I don't think anyone said there weren't flights to/from LAX. My issue is that to fly from LAX instead of SNA would take me an extra two hours to get there for an about 1-hour flight and cost me a lot more to get to LAX. Not worth it to me. I don't mind that for a 6- or 11-hour flight as it's worth the inconvenience. I use AA miles and haven't paid for a flight, including First Class to Beijing and again to Venice this year. Yeah, picky, picky. :)

I wonder if one of the cruise lines will do a one way to Hawaii from there. Wouldn't that be nice. One or two stops in the sea of Cortez then across to Hawaii, get off the ship and spend a week in Hawaii. You could even catch a cruise back.

I wonder if one of the cruise lines will do a one way to Hawaii from there. Wouldn't that be nice. One or two stops in the sea of Cortez then across to Hawaii, get off the ship and spend a week in Hawaii. You could even catch a cruise back.

It's possible. I think the new popular hawaii routes will be from Vancouver since a foreign call won't be necessary. They could be extended to end or start in Seattle too.

I don't think anyone said there weren't flights to/from LAX. My issue is that to fly from LAX instead of SNA would take me an extra two hours to get there for an about 1-hour flight and cost me a lot more to get to LAX. Not worth it to me. I don't mind that for a 6- or 11-hour flight as it's worth the inconvenience. I use AA miles and haven't paid for a flight, including First Class to Beijing and again to Venice this year. Yeah, picky, picky. :)

You could also take the short drive to Tijuana and take the flights from there.

I'm hoping for direct flights from San Diego. Drive to Oceanside, catch the Amtrak and take a taxi to the airport. Easy peasey. Yeah, John Wayne is very convenient for people living in the OC but for me it's not. There is no airport 15 miles from home for me. I'll settle for a convenient 1 1/2 hour treck.

I'm going on this cruise, whenever they finish it and wherever it sails. The Sea of Cortez is worth it for the fantastic ocean creatures. I want to sail it before it becomes just like Cabo and Puerto Vallarta (love those ports too):D

Go back 30 years or so and look at CUN and the Mayan Riviera. No ports. Very few cruise ships, CUN a small airport. Now look at the area. Mexico could have homeports on both coasts before you know it. PPE has the potential to be a new CUN. "Build it and they will come".:eek::D:D

Go back 30 years or so and look at CUN and the Mayan Riviera. No ports. Very few cruise ships, CUN a small airport. Now look at the area. Mexico could have homeports on both coasts before you know it. PPE has the potential to be a new CUN. "Build it and they will come".:eek::D:D

Jim Avery,

From your lips to God's ear.........:D

Jim Avery,

From your lips to God's ear.........:D

Not sure I have those types of connections.:eek::D I do think voyages from Mexico would have the added attraction of not needing a "throwaway" stop to satisfy the Jones Act (as it is commonly known). How about a one way Sea of Cortez ending in Hawaii? Lots of possibles.:D

Not sure I have those types of connections.:eek::D I do think voyages from Mexico would have the added attraction of not needing a "throwaway" stop to satisfy the Jones Act (as it is commonly known). How about a one way Sea of Cortez ending in Hawaii? Lots of possibles.:D

I think Hawaii would be great! I also would love a 10 Day Mexican cruise to San Philpe, Loreto, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. 6 ports in 10 days is my kind of cruise!:D

The point being we will have a lot more options with this added port and I love Mexico.