Thoughts on Izumi?

I thought the prices were somewhat lower than landside sushi prices, just like all the specialty restaurants are a little less than the equivalent landside meal due to the fact that costs are supplemented to some degree by you NOT eating that meal in one of the free (as in included in the base fare) venues.

• 3 weeks later...
Another vote for Izumi. We went while we were on Grandeur and absolutely loved it. The staff were fantastic, we had sushi, hot rocks, and I think something else -- everything was great, but the sushi rolls were honestly some of the nicest I've ever had! I was really surprised, as I am a huge sushi lover. The hot rocks were fun -- might skip it next time but the novelty was a big one for us so we really enjoyed it. Definitely had plenty to eat as well!

Do you remember if they are open for lunch? My family is booked on the Grandeur at the end of this year. When I saw "Japanese restaurant", I shuddered because of all the cruises i've taken, the one thing across the board between Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal Caribbean before Izumi's was horrid nasty sushi. As much as I love cruises, the one thing I generally avoided on ships, was sushi (and yet i keep trying them and regretting it).

This blurb excites me as i will probably want to try Izumi's when i'm onboard.

Do you remember if they are open for lunch? My family is booked on the Grandeur at the end of this year. When I saw "Japanese restaurant", I shuddered because of all the cruises i've taken, the one thing across the board between Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal Caribbean before Izumi's was horrid nasty sushi. As much as I love cruises, the one thing I generally avoided on ships, was sushi (and yet i keep trying them and regretting it).

This blurb excites me as i will probably want to try Izumi's when i'm onboard.

Izumi is open for lunch, however the menu is greatly reduced. No tempura, no hot rock, no sukiyaki.

Izumi is open for lunch, however the menu is greatly reduced. No tempura, no hot rock, no sukiyaki.

Ditto -- not worth going for lunch, in my opinion. We originally booked lunch and when I arrived and I saw the reduced menu, I asked if we could change it to a dinner reservation. They were only too happy to do so. Dinner was AMAZING.

I love interactive food. The Hot Rock concept was fun but my server just put all of my meat on the rock rather than let me do it. I personally feel this ruined the experience for me.

I was underwhelmed to be honest with the flavor. You are given tongs to flip the meat and you can see that they sprinkle kosher salt on the rock which seasons the meat. You are given a bowl of rice to pile on the meat and veggies. There are several dipping sauces.

So glad I did it once but I cant say I would the hot rock dish again.

The sushi was nicely plated and was tasty. Sadly I cant remember what I ordered. I enjoy sushi but not a sushi expert. I would like to try other items on my next trip on Allure.

sushione.jpg.1d051788cd38114537de57374738291e.jpg

hotrockone.jpg.80e4ca7120596810a8fd683ad3338e1b.jpg