Is "bargaining" usual while shopping in these ports?

tbmrt

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

Barbados

St. Maarten

Dominica

Not into the usual cruiseport jewelry shops, etc, but do enjoy shopping at small shops and flea market type stands.

Is bargaining usual in any of the above ports?

Thank you!

Yes, bargaining is pretty standard. And the usual kinds of things apply - the more ships in town, a little farther from the cruise terminal and the later in the day, the better the bargains! Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!

It's actually expected.

Remember steer clear of the shops that the cruise line recommends. You know those shops PAY the cruise line to recommend them. They are no better than the non-recommended shops and in many many cases you can get better merchandise and better "deals" at the others. Particularly steer clear of anything with "international" in its name. <---------horror stories ---

We tend to like to purchase only local handcrafted items and many of those can be found right near the ship - particularly in Dominica - check out the baskets just to the left as you exit the ship. I LOVE mine! However in some ports, if you're looking for a really great deal on fine jewelry, there ARE some jewelry stores that are tried and true by locals and others who are in the business. Ask around - I'm not sure if we can mention names here.

And honestly, we spend very little time shopping. I like to see the countries and get a little taste of the life there - literally and figuratively.

Depends on where you are.

The chain stores (international ones) - like say Pandora or Sunglass Hut, there will be little success in bargaining (but go ahead and try anyway).

In the jewellery stores - absolutely.

In the souvenir shops, you can bargain. Sometimes, I bargain for the fun of it, but I often end up paying full price. Ex. ... the wood carvings in Falmouth ....he's been working hard whittling away .... the few extra dollars that I bargained mean more to him than they do to me.

In the souvenir shops, you can bargain. Sometimes, I bargain for the fun of it, but I often end up paying full price. Ex. ... the wood carvings in Falmouth ....he's been working hard whittling away .... the few extra dollars that I bargained mean more to him than they do to me.

I never actively bargain. If they try selling me something and I think it is too expensive, I just say no. Many times the first price that they say is within the price I had already set in my head, so I just go and pay it. I figure that extra $5 or $10 is going to go much further to support their needs.

At outdoor "flea market" type places - always try to bargain

At tourist arcades where everyone is selling the same things - always bargain

At jewelry stores - always bargain

However, if my wife is with you, don't even bother to try....she always says something along the lines of ...if you like it, just buy it ....when I'm trying to get the price down :)

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

Barbados

St. Maarten

Dominica

Not into the usual cruiseport jewelry shops, etc, but do enjoy shopping at small shops and flea market type stands.

Is bargaining usual in any of the above ports?

Thank you!

I've found that if prices aren't marked, bargaining is fair game. If you're in a place where many shops sell the same or similar items, you'll have better luck since everyone is vying for your business.

Don't be afraid to tell them what you're willing to pay, pretend that "all I have left is $10," or ask for additional discounts for buying more than one of something. If you don't have luck at one place, try another, and don't be afraid to say you'll come back later (even if you don't mean it). It will give you a chance to browse first to make sure you can't get a better price elsewhere.

I've found that if prices aren't marked, bargaining is fair game. If you're in a place where many shops sell the same or similar items, you'll have better luck since everyone is vying for your business.

Don't be afraid to tell them what you're willing to pay, pretend that "all I have left is $10," or ask for additional discounts for buying more than one of something. If you don't have luck at one place, try another, and don't be afraid to say you'll come back later (even if you don't mean it). It will give you a chance to browse first to make sure you can't get a better price elsewhere.

Everyone has their own bargaining technique (except my DW), but the one that seems to work the best is using your feet.....make a final offer and, if refused, then say thank you and walk towards the door. You'd be amazed at how many deals close at the door (or on the street just outside the door).

Depends on where you are.

The chain stores (international ones) - like say Pandora or Sunglass Hut, there will be little success in bargaining (but go ahead and try anyway).

In the jewellery stores - absolutely.

Absolutely agree with you!

LuLu

~~~

However, if my wife is with you, don't even bother to try....she always says something along the lines of ...if you like it, just buy it ....when I'm trying to get the price down :)

OMG, sounds like my husband:D....doesn't stop me from doing my usual bargaining.