What was your favorite excursion and why?

It seems like there is very little info on various shore excursions--and/or independant excursions. I thought it would be fun and informative if we could all list our favorites.

Mine is Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman. We did the half day trip with him and so far that has been the best snorkeling trip we have gone on. The kids had a blast swimming with the stingrays and it was hilarious when grandpa rubbed his hands on his face---because the stingrays kept rubbing up on his face. We also enjoyed being on a small tour as opposed to the overcrowded group we saw on the ships tour.

What is your favorite excursion?

Don't be too jealous of me. Last year we were scheduled to go to Key largo when Hurricane Francis hit and destroyed the marina at the condo (we were going there so we could use our boat). This year we rescheduled and....hurricane Dennis came and we could not get into the keys so once again we have rescheduled for October. Hopefully the third time is the charm?

If you get a chance to go to Grand Cayman--go! I think it is a beautiful port.

Yvonne

We missed Grand Cayman too!:( No hurricanes, just wind and high seas that the tenders couldn't handle. An excuse to go back I guess!! Anyway, our BEST shore excursion was the America's Cup Regatta in St Maarten. What a feeling!! So much fun. Don't pass this one up!

Our favorite was a snorkeling excursion booked privately with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. Only a few of us (5 snorkelers, 3 scuba) in the clearest water I have ever seen. Wonderful guide Raul who carried a 4 year old girl on his back for the entire time we were in the water. And when we were finished with our two dives, they dropped us off at a hotel so we could catch a cab to Pancho's Backyard and we did not have to wait for the scuba folks to do their last dive. A wonderful lunch at Pancho's and good shopping. Our best day to date.

Looking forward to more adventures this year................

Our favorite excursion on the Mariner (western) was the White River tubing trip in Ocho Rios. The water is unbelieveably clear and refreshing. Guides were great. The trip was relaxing for everyone in our family group (ages 11 thru 60). We booked independently - the trip booked through RCI appeared crowded.

We're all headed to St Martin next year on the Serenade - looking forward to the regatta.

I have four: listed in no particular order:

Swimming with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman

Kukoo Kunuku bar crawl in Aruba

BOB Underwater Adventure in St. Thomas

America's Cup Regatta in St. Maarten

I have three.

I did the Golden Eagle Catamaran in St. Marteen. It was a snorkle and beach stop, with nothing too fancy. I remeber there was great wave action that was fun to swim around in and the guides were very friendly. I just loved the afternoon we spent on that tour.

Tulum with a stop at Xel Ha from Cozumel. I wish we would have had more time to spend at both places. There was so much to see and do. it was just amazing to see the ruins. It was absolutely breath taking. Xel-Ha had the best snorkeling too.

Xcaret was another favorite in Cancun. There were so many animals so see and the cave snorkle thing they had there was a lot of fun.

I would like to do all of these things again!

Our favorite excursion is Eli's Eco-Tour, in Antigua, no question about it. We've done it 3 times so far, with a 4th planned for January, although we might be doing his new, X-Treme, tour, instead. Eli and his crew are nice people, and fill the day with interesting stories about Antigua, it's ecology, and politics. They offer you the opportunity to do things not offered on ships' tours, and provide something other than the cookie cutter tours you find offered on just about every island.

Favorites on other islands include Frank's tour on St. Lucia, Capt. Marvin on Grand Cayman, going to St. John to snorkel when we're in St. Thomas (although the Buck Island Snorkeling excursion ranks high, too), Mandoo in Grenada (we were there on Empress before they dropped that port from the itinerary), and the America Cup regatta in St. Maarten.

Randi's Happy Horses in Matzeland (?sp). We were on the Vision and book this tour with advise for other CruiseCritic partners. It was our first privately booked tour so we were a little leary..but we were NOT dissappointed. That cruise was in 2003 and we still talk about the ride with Randi.....

We missed Grand Cayman too!:( No hurricanes, just wind and high seas that the tenders couldn't handle. An excuse to go back I guess!! Anyway, our BEST shore excursion was the America's Cup Regatta in St Maarten. What a feeling!! So much fun. Don't pass this one up!

Totally agree. Even more special, since it was during our first cruise...SS Norway.

We have 2.

1. Altun Ha ruins in Belize with Nacho and his wife, Cynthia with NCQ Belize adventures. While not the best ruins, Nacho kept us more than entertained and was full of information of his country, Belize.

2. Playa Del Carmen. It is such a neat little town. It was our first cruise, and while not an "excursion", we had a blast just walking the streets at night, after a total blast at Senor Frogs.

When we were in Antigua we enjoyed the Eco Tour but I don't remember if it was booked as an excursion named Eli. I do know the one we went on had a website http://www.antiquapaddles.com. It was alot of fun. In Barbados we liked the photography tour - with stops along the way at a few roadside rum shops. The rain forest in Martinique was nice. Alot of the islands we just go about it on our own and if we do a tour - we generally only do one for no more than 3 or 4 hours long.

Our absolute favorite excursion has been to the Sante Wellness Spa in Roatan. It's one of the few times I have booked a "private" tour (I'm one of those worriers so it's just more relaxing to me to book thru the ship!). My husband and I both got a full massage, salt glo and mud wrap (about 2 1/2 hours of pampering) for about what a massage costs on the ship - plus learned about Roatan and had a great lunch. One of the truly most relaxing days we've ever had.

to Familycruises, yes, these are private tour excursions. If you go to Ports of Call boards for Antigua and do a search for Eli's Eco tour, you will find information on how to contact him and go to Costa Rica board and search for Oscar Brown to find how to contact him also. I think Eli is at adventuresantigua.com, but not sure.

Archived