Going early to Lisbon, need visa?

VUCruiser

We are thinking of traveling to Lisbon a few days in advance of the November 9th Prisendam transatlantic. We know you do not need a visa if going directly to the ship, but will we need one if we are there 2-3 days before? Not planning on leaving Portugal, just traveling around a bit. Thanks.

We are thinking of traveling to Lisbon a few days in advance of the November 9th Prisendam transatlantic. We know you do not need a visa if going directly to the ship, but will we need one if we are there 2-3 days before? Not planning on leaving Portugal, just traveling around a bit. Thanks.

Re Visa, wouldn't think so but would suggest a valid Passport.

Hello there VU Cruiser, I am going to be on your ship and I live in Portugal (actually where we will have one of our port days—Ponta Delgada). If you have any questions about Portugal or PD, please ask.

Also, there is a roll call thread, but it hasn't been too active. And have you read the "Europe" boards?

susana.

Hello there VU Cruiser, I am going to be on your ship and I live in Portugal (actually where we will have one of our port days—Ponta Delgada). If you have any questions about Portugal or PD, please ask.

Also, there is a roll call thread, but it hasn't been too active. And have you read the "Europe" boards?

susana.

Susana,

I didn't realize that you live in Ponta Delgada. One of my favourite ports!!!!

(Horta is a close second.)

My first time in PD was in 1969!!!!

Stephen

Is Ponta Delgada anywhere near the vicinity of Sintra or Cascais?

We've had some wonderful times in Portugal and I'd go back happily. I find Lisbon to be a very intriguing city....unlike any others we have visited.

I live in the group of Portuguese islands called the Azores (in English) and the Açores (in Portuguese). We are very approximately, 2000 miles from America and 1000 miles from Portugal and very approximately on the same latitude as Washington, DC. The Azores are composed of 9 islands, I live on the largest, which is São Miguel (15k by 80k). Our capital of the island is Ponta Delgada. Summer temperatures go up to 80 degrees and winter time down into the low 50s.

Most of the HAL ships are now stopping here on their transatlantic cruises. And although the Economic Powers That Be are doing everything they can to develop us into a tourist island, we are very quiet 10 months out of the year. Development has pretty much stayed in the city and we really appeal only to eco-tourists are there are no real historic sites, wonderful museums, great shopping, or any other normal tourist destination highlights.

We are about 15 miles away from Ponta Delgada, in a rural area. From one side of my house I see the ocean, from the other I can see all the way up to the rim of the volcano.

Prinsendam, I would have loved to have seen these islands in 1969. The changes just in the 6 years that we have lived here have been enormous. I could talk about this place for ages.

susana.

susana.

Thank you, Susana......

The Azores (and your island) sound glorious. Certainly could not ask for better weather. I hope I someday have the opportunity to see it for myself.

Susana - We took a Transatlantic cruise to Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. Our first port of call was in the Azores. Probably one of the most pleasant surprises experienced. We loved the stop there. It is beautiful, and leaves one with the feeling that we must go back.

Regarding Lisbon -- No ifs ands or buts....passports necessary in Portugal. I love Lisbon. It is beautiful, interesting, fascinating. I've been there three times. Twice by land and once on a cruise. Anyone cruising there must plan on a full day's tour to get some appreciation of the city.

Prinsendam, I would have loved to have seen these islands in 1969. The changes just in the 6 years that we have lived here have been enormous. I could talk about this place for ages.

susana.

susana.

In 1969 I sailed out to Bermuda from Southampton on a tug called the GATCOMBE. I was the deck Boy. Sick as a dog most of the way! We called at Ponta Delgad for bunkers en route.

Anyhow, the tug spent the next 19 years in Bermuda operating as harbour tug and tender to cruise ships under the name BERMUDIAN.

In 1988 the tug was sold to a UK firm and I was sent out to Bermuda to bring the ship back to the UK... has her captain! Our voyage was to sail direct to ponta Delgada for bunkers and then up to Dartmouth in the south of England. We came over from Bermuda.... howling gales all the way and picked up our pilot just outside the breakwater. On the way in the pilot said to me, "Captain, have you been to Ponta Delgada before?" I said, "Ummmm yes. Nineteen years ago. Same ship. On the OUTWARD voyage!" Don't think he knew what to make of that!

We were in port for 24 hours. I stayed on board to look after the ship with the Chief Engineer who was taking bunkers. I had the agent send two taxis to the ship to take the rest of the crew on a sightseeing tour for about six hours... just as I had done in 1969.

I have since been back several times on various cruise ships.

Susana, have you ever heard of ship called the GOLDEN RULE? She was a small brig that sailed from Ponta Delgada to Bermuda in... 1863. She brought over the first migrant workers to Bermuda. As you prpbably know there is a very strong connection between the Bermudas and the Azores. Heck, even the weathermen talk about the 'Azores High' and the 'Bermuda High'. I'm not certain how large the Portuguese commumity is in Bermuda... something like 5,000. Anyhow, if you visit the Bermuda Maritime Museum you will find on display a large painting by me of the GOLDEN RULE.

Do you live on San Miguel all year?

Stephen

Thanks to all for the info. We have valid passports so it sounds like we should be fine.

Susana-Thanks for the offer of Portugal information. We'd love to go up to Porto while we are in Lisbon, is the train up and back in the same day possible?

We are guessing that taxis will be easy to get at our hotel to the pier the day we leave. Is this correct?

Ponta Delgada sounds wonderful. May be in touch as we get closer.

VUCruiser: The train ride from Lisbon to Porto will take you about 3 hours each way, so it really wouldn't make a very good day trip. For a one day trip, people usually go to Sintra. In the middle of summer, it is overrun with tourists, but is probably good in November.

http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/costadelisboa/sintra/

Taxis are available everywhere in Lisbon and it isn't far to the pier. I would recommend that you find out the name of the pier (there is more than one) and that you print out the name in advance. When I don't speak the language, I find that this is much easier. And European handwriting and American handwriting are very different.

I have written up a lot of information about Ponta Delgada and it is available on the Europe board. I can't get over to it right now, but it's called "Do-It-Yourself Ponta Delgada". We will be seeing you on the ship, but please ask. susana.

Prinsendam, you were here very much in the old days—and at work! It probably was much more enjoyable on the cruise ship stops. I have a German friend who lives here, who is a freighter-ship captain. He tells me about where he has been, but that in the last few years, he pretty much has to stay in the port and never gets to enjoy the traveling part of the job. That would be so difficult.

I haven't heard about the Golden Rule, but have learned a lot about the emigration from the island. Those going to Bermuda appear to be from the eastern end of the island, while from where I live (western tip) went to Canada (Toronto and Cambridge) or to New England (Fall River and New Bedford). There were also large migrations to California and Hawaii. Families now travel, en masse, back and forth to the island to visit grandparents and for the local festivals.

It is interesting that when I announced to my Michigan friends where we were going, they were shocked that there were habitable islands in the middle of the Atlantic. I took an old grade-school style map and circled the Azores in red marker. The only people who were familiar with the islands were those in the military.

I do live here, full-time. We sold our house in America when we moved, though we travel back annually for family visits. This year we will be on the Prinsendam. We figure that we'll stop and see the dog on our port day.

susana.

Archived