Grand Cayman: Margaritaville or Skip It?

TxTGirl

The best excursion we have ever taken was in Grand Cayman. We went with Fat Fish Adventures and rode jet skis out to Stingray City. It was a lot of fun. It was a little expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. They also took us by a local brewery for free tasting of their beers on the way back. http://www.fatfishadventures.com/our-tours/jet-ski-stingray-city-tours/

I like Margaritaville but they are everywhere. I wouldn't spend a lot of time there unless the weather isn't good for any water type excursions.

We found many better places to go. Going there is like going to McDonalds on vacation.

But McDonald's in different countries also cater to a local clientele.

The McCafe near the Spanish Steps in Rome rivals many pastry shops. Going down the scary hallway to the burger counter one can find an excellent balsamic salad dressing and other odd Italian things.

The one's in Asia offer truly different things :)

We usually avoid restaurants catering to the American tourist crowd.

Edited by SadieN

Stopped by Margaritaville in GC last month .

After ordering 2 (so-so) Margarita's for $27 total :eek:, been there , done that .

Not a lively place in the afternoon at all . Skip it and all those same/same tee shirt shops downtown. Spend your time @ the 7 Mile beach .

Guess I'm the minority here but several years ago just as we got off our tender boat we heard Jimmy was going to be playing at Margaritaville that day. We figured it was a rumor to get customers.

Turned out to be true, he island hops in the winter months doing acoustic shows in his restaurants. We had a great table right next to the stage & he put on a great show. We spent about $120 on food & drinks over a 3 hour period for 3 of us. Considering what concert tickets to for, we feel we got a great deal.

There are no Margaritaville's near us so we usually stop & have a drink when in Grand Cayman.

Edited by MicksMom

But McDonald's in different countries also cater to a local clientele.

The McCafe near the Spanish Steps in Rome rivals many pastry shops. Going down the scary hallway to the burger counter one can find an excellent balsamic salad dressing and other odd Italian things.

The one's in Asia offer truly different things :)

We usually avoid restaurants catering to the American tourist crowd.

I have to say I have been in that McCafe. I saw it on tv on one of those travel shows and wanted to see the inside of it. It is definitely not a normal McDonalds. We ate at one in Copenhagen and in Estonia as well. It is a nice quick place to stop to get a drink and a quick snack when you are touring. It is interesting to see the different things that they have compared to the US ones.

The last time we went to Grand Cayman was 1996:eek::eek:

Clearly, I need to get back there.....

At that time, the movie, The Firm, had just come out, and we wanted to go to the Hyatt (parts were filmed there, drinking).

TWO daiquiris = $25 And that was 1996!!!!

lol

With that being said, we did spend time at Margaritaville in Turks, and enjoyed it, but it is EXPENSIVE.

Just looked on Margaritaville's website, at their Caribbean locations, and it looks really nice. They have a water slide, which T&C does not.

If nothing else, pop in for a drink, or FIVE, and then move on to other things.

It really is a tourist trap, but at the same time, it is a fun atmosphere.

Enjoy!!!!!:D

We like going to Margaritaville some places ... but there are so many other better options in Grand Cayman that we would skip it.

To those who complain about pricing: Every place in Grand Cayman tends to be expensive. ;)

LuLu

~~~

Here's the deal. If you're question is "Should I spend all my time and money at Margaritaville while in Grand Cayman" of course the answer should be no. If you are asking if a stop in there at the end of the day for a drink, snack of souvenir, then go for it.

It's actually a pretty nice Margaritaville (and coming from WI, where it's not available....at all) it's not considered an Applebees or McDonalds. To us, Margaritavilles are part of the vacation. It's a great place to grab a drink at the end of your day on Grand Cayman because it's right near the tender piers, it tends to get fairly lively and fun nearing the end of the "cruise" day and if you watch from the balcony, you can see when your tender line is short and head over.

So go on and enjoy the beach, stingrays, turtles, tiki bars, etc. and if you are still in the mood for a drink or a snack before hitting the tenders.....stop in. It's right there, so you don't need to make a big day out of it.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Beachbum53, did I read you right, that you rented a golf cart in Grand Cayman at Nathans' Golf Carts? If so, what was the charge per hour? Was there anything that you seen/did while driving around in the golf cart?

I have done the golf cart in Catalina Island, and that was great, not too expensive, but I have a feeling it might be here???:confused:

Yeah, I am a big parrot head and go to JB shows every year. Ive been to many Margaritaville restaurant including Grand Caymen. I walked in there and there were girls on the bar dancing to very loud rap music... I was like ummmm.. no. I also ended up on 7mile beach at Calico Beach. Way cheaper and right on the beach. Normally at port of calls, I usually only go in there to grab a fast drink and hit the gift shop for a tshirt... This one is small and I wasnt impressed. The best experience Ive been at was the Cozumel and Original Key West.

Yeah, I am a big parrot head and go to JB shows every year. Ive been to many Margaritaville restaurant including Grand Caymen. I walked in there and there were girls on the bar dancing to very loud rap music... I was like ummmm.. no. I also ended up on 7mile beach at Calico Beach. Way cheaper and right on the beach. Normally at port of calls, I usually only go in there to grab a fast drink and hit the gift shop for a tshirt... This one is small and I wasnt impressed. The best experience Ive been at was the Cozumel and Original Key West.

Yes, the music can really be random. Once there was GREAT music playing, lots of people dancing and enjoying. The next time there was not a soul in the place, but we still enjoyed ourselves. The last time the music was awful (just really bad rap) and we didn't stick around long. I suppose it has to do with whomever is working that day and what they want to listen to.....unfortunately.