\new to Cunard - differences from Princess and P&O?

caber

This is my experience as well. When I travel in the Grills, I certainly don't make a point of mentioning it unless it comes up in conversation, such as: "What sitting are you on?" I get the impression that others in the Grills keep a low profile about their accommodation.

Regarding the QE and QV there have been comments from some that those in the Grills proudly display their "key cards" on the lifts. Well, that is inevitable as you must insert the card in the control panel in order to gain access to the Grills deck. But this not required on the QM2.

In five voyages on QV and QE I've never noticed that, but then I'm never very observant when I'm in a lift, I generally just stand in the corner and try to avoid eye contact. I'll look out for it next time out.

J

In all my readings and travels, I've never heard of a cruise line where people announce their cabin category. Can you imagine? "Hello, I'm traveling in an inside cabin, you?" "Oh, I'm in a deluxe balcony excuse me while I find someone more appropriate to talk to."

The outside perception of Cunard is that it is a class system. I have yet to speak to an actual Cunard cruiser who felt discriminated against traveling Britannia and not the Grills. Most Cunarders are happy just to be traveling.

As a retired librarian I can attest that the library on the QM2 is very good. The books are in good repair and new ones added frequently and there is definitely order to their shelving.

What area on deck will I be banned from and is it well signed?
On QM2, this bit... QM2 "Grills" open deck area Deck 11

(the starboard side is immediately downwind of (and directly below) the outdoor "walkies" area of the kennels :eek: :eek: )

And yes, it is signposted.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

The comments on here do a lot to put my mind at rest about the class differences.

What area on deck will I be banned from and is it well signed?

I am less worried as well but my wife thinks I am a class of my own.:D

On QM2, this bit... QM2 "Grills" open deck area Deck 11

(the starboard side is immediately downwind of (and directly below) the outdoor "walkies" area of the kennels :eek: :eek: )

And yes, it is signposted.

Hope this helps :)

LOL, thanks for the pics.:D

In all my readings and travels, I've never heard of a cruise line where people announce their cabin category. Can you imagine? "Hello, I'm traveling in an inside cabin, you?" "Oh, I'm in a deluxe balcony excuse me while I find someone more appropriate to talk to."

The outside perception of Cunard is that it is a class system. I have yet to speak to an actual Cunard cruiser who felt discriminated against traveling Britannia and not the Grills. Most Cunarders are happy just to be traveling.

I am never quite sure what people mean by Class system, on Cunard it not kind of upper, middle or lower class, bpeople from all walks of life book inside, balcony and grill cabins, and trust me, I have met many staying in grills that have no class :eek: and many in isdie who think they have, but only think.

also having sailed on quite a few other lines, I have never yet heard the word "Class" but"Segregation" is often used, and this happens on other lines and do it better, MSC Yacht club is something to wonder at, it knock spots of Cunard grills.:)

Edited by rob6852

They were even talking about class on the local radio this morning. It seems to completely escape people that many cruise lines have different eating arrangements according to whether you've purchased a suite or not. Same with flying. And that is not an issue of class as anyone is free to buy whatever accommodation they want.

They were even talking about class on the local radio this morning. It seems to completely escape people that many cruise lines have different eating arrangements according to whether you've purchased a suite or not. Same with flying. And that is not an issue of class as anyone is free to buy whatever accommodation they want.

Spot on

DH and l sailed on QE2 many many times when the class system was enforced.

Those were the days of course and l hasten to add we never had the luxury of sailing in the Grills on board her, but rather enjoyed her quirky cabins with just a porthole....forget about a balcony!

We did venture on board QM2 for quite a few sailings after, both in PG and also QG.....but it was never the same and the 'old' rules were never enforced.

Many a time we saw one and all venturing on to the grill decks, taking advantage of the comp drinks and helping themselves to the blankets. This was never a problem to us but it begs the question?

As far as 'old' money and 'new' money is concerned, l think that is the business of those who choose to sail and let all their voyages be wonderful.

We did venture on board QM2 for quite a few sailings after, both in PG and also QG.....but it was never the same and the 'old' rules were never enforced.

Many a time we saw one and all venturing on to the grill decks, taking advantage of the comp drinks and helping themselves to the blankets. This was never a problem to us but it begs the question? .

Not sure how recently you sailed the grills on qm2 but they have cracked down on this. They are quick to ask for ID

.... venturing on to the grill decks, taking advantage of the comp drinks ...

What comp drinks? I've been in the Grills on all 3 current ships as well as QE2 and have never seen comp drinks served in public areas. The only form of comp drinks I know of is the in-suite bar set up for Queens Grill passengers.

Not sure how recently you sailed the grills on qm2 but they have cracked down on this. They are quick to ask for ID

I have a feeling I will be excluded from Grills, whatever that is.

Is that the sunbaking area?.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

What comp drinks? I've been in the Grills on all 3 current ships as well as QE2 and have never seen comp drinks served in public areas.

Maybe you need to befriend some of the crew. :p. They are very interesting people to chat with.

The Captains function has free drinks in Queens Ballroom and there are other loyalty functions as well.

Mic, Grills areas are for those who book the Grills suites. They have two separate restaurants which you can look into (if you feel the need to do, but in parts can't avoid doing so) when walking around the Promenade. There is also a deck space reserved for them in the aft of the ship but plenty of decks for the rest of us. Grills people don't usually dine in Britannia but I believe they can request this from time to time.

Edited by Pushka

Maybe you need to befriend some of the crew. :p. They are very interesting people to chat with.

The Captains function has free drinks in Queens Ballroom and there are other loyalty functions as well.

Mic, Grills areas are for those who book the Grills suites. They have two separate restaurants which you can look into (if you feel the need to do, but in parts can't avoid doing so) when walking around the Promenade. There is also a deck space reserved for them in the aft of the ship but plenty of decks for the rest of us. Grills people don't usually dine in Britannia but I believe they can request this from time to time.

Thanks,

Now, how can I recognise these people easily, do they have special insignia on their collars? Do I have to salute or bow to them when they come near?:p

Thanks,

Now, how can I recognise these people easily, do they have special insignia on their collars? Do I have to salute or bow to them when they come near?:p

It's funny you should ask that. We had an hilarious incident whilst onboard. We were on a hosted table (just 2 in the MDR - we were lucky) and the evening before had dinner with an officer from Engineering. On formal nights they wear dress uniform which is "tux", stripes with any medals so you know who they are.

The next day I was relaxing on the promenade deck chair and he walked past. We were talking for a while when this quite well dressed lady came to him and asked if he was the Doctor. We thought someone needed assistance. But then she started stroking his shoulder stripes (whatever they are called). And then she said "oh no, your stripes are the wrong colour" and off she walked. We just looked at each other and mouthed the usual "WT" was that all about then burst out laughing. To this day I have no idea what happened there.

The crew from top to toe are delightful. Just smile.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks,

It's quite easy to pick the Grills passengers out in the evening, and distinguish between the two Grills.

PG ladies wear their tiaras and the QG ladies their crowns. Obviously not before 6pm so unfortunately it's impossible to see who's who during the day.

The gentlemen, by accompanying their ladies, are thus easy to spot. You're on to a sticky wicket with solo gentlemen around the ship unless of course they have their man with them to hold the doors open, brush the seats, cut up their food and generally 'do', although that's usually QG rather then PG.

No bowing or saluting is expected although a discrete touching of the forelock wouldn't go amiss.

What comp drinks? I've been in the Grills on all 3 current ships as well as QE2 and have never seen comp drinks served in public areas. The only form of comp drinks I know of is the in-suite bar set up for Queens Grill passengers.

On the grills deck there used to be a small table set up with comp soft drinks.

It's funny you should ask that. We had an hilarious incident whilst onboard. We were on a hosted table (just 2 in the MDR - we were lucky) and the evening before had dinner with an officer from Engineering. On formal nights they wear dress uniform which is "tux", stripes with any medals so you know who they are.

The next day I was relaxing on the promenade deck chair and he walked past. We were talking for a while when this quite well dressed lady came to him and asked if he was the Doctor. We thought someone needed assistance. But then she started stroking his shoulder stripes (whatever they are called). And then she said "oh no, your stripes are the wrong colour" and off she walked. We just looked at each other and mouthed the usual "WT" was that all about then burst out laughing. To this day I have no idea what happened there.

The crew from top to toe are delightful. Just smile.

Lol, very funny. :D

BTW, the stripes on the shoulders are normally called epaulets. :D