Tentative Itinerary given to us by TA

All - for what its worth, my mom thinks he should upgrade to business class too....but its worth mentioning that he and my parents traveled coach to Israel and survived just fine - that was a much longer flight than our first flight from IAD to Heathrow.

I mentioned business class to him and the advise of well seasoned and prior regent customers here on this board..., but he is a tough nut to crack!

I'm pretty sure he will change that connecting flight....but i'll have to wait and see later - he is supposed to talk to travel agent today sometime.

Does anybody know if the $500 BC upgrade for roundtrip flights or only One Way?

Each way per person :( so $1000 for both of you to go over and a $1000 coming back..... $2000 total, but if he would just do it going over he could arrive fresh for the trip. So then it would be an extra $1000.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

I'm quite sure it's 499$ each way. We just did this for a different cruise and it came out to just short of 1000$ round trip for each person. I just looked at what "normal" out of pocket cost would be for our flights (Newark to Stockholm) and it's just obscene! 6000$ plus per person EACH WAY in BC.......bringing the grand total to more than 24,000$ dollars for both of us if we booked it online without a deal.

I've been following your thread and I understand what stick in the muds can be like to deal with. I feel for you. Any way you can throw in a couple of bucks yourself to "ease Grandpa's pain"?

No matter what you do, you'll have a wonderful time on the ship! Enjoy every minute!

I agree with all the comments about talking your granddad into upgrading to business. One of the nice things about Regent is that upgrading to business is not that much. If you can upgrade for $499/each way, I would snap that in a minute. It makes such a difference! You arrive rested and your legs are not cramped. We always upgrade to business and is worth every penny. The new seats in business class are lie flat (for most airlines) and I always manage to catch a few hours sleep. 8 to 10 hours in coach is torture and more so for an older person. Again, this not my business but is truly worth it to spend the extra $$$ to upgrade. I hope you can talk your grandfather into it. Have a great cruise.

Poor Sarah, I have spent years as care taker for a much much older member of our family. The only way I can described this much loved member of our family is Stubborn! I am certain as Sarah reads all our well meaning advice...in her mind she is thinking

"not a chance in hell" grandpa is not going to spend an extra cent and the more he is pushed the more stubborn he will get!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No, but a lot less what you were quoted. $499.00 is the Regent fare each way. I would snap that up in a heartbeat.

We did snap that up! Feeling very smug! Can't wait as we've never experienced business class! OOOO,EEEE, baby!

Tina -- I also apologize for getting this thread off track.:o

I do have a question. After reading the Oceania board, something apparently happened with the art auction people and art that was purchased on board was not delivered to passengers -- the orders were cancelled (and passengers were reimbursed). Someone currently on the Riviera says that there are no art auctions on board. You can probably guess what the question is......... have their been art auctions during your cruise?

Thanks.

TC,

I think your last post was in the wrong thread. As far as the art auctions go, I have my fingers and toes crossed that they disappear from Regent ships. :D Sadly, however, on my Voyager cruise last month the art auctions were well attended. Until passengers stop attending the auctions, I fear they will continue.

TC,

I think your last post was in the wrong thread. As far as the art auctions go, I have my fingers and toes crossed that they disappear from Regent ships. :D Sadly, however, on my Voyager cruise last month the art auctions were well attended. Until passengers stop attending the auctions, I fear they will continue.

You're right - wrong thread. Oops! Just wonder what happened on Oceania to stop them???

Any way you can throw in a couple of bucks yourself to "ease Grandpa's pain"?

No matter what you do, you'll have a wonderful time on the ship! Enjoy every minute!

I can't help him with $$. The only reason I'm going is bc he needed a traveling buddy and he was paying.

I work full time and I'm in grad school part time. My husband and I barely make enough to keep up with mortgage and other stuff and pay tuition to get thru school debt free.

I also don't get paid for vacation time. So there's that and I'm taking off 7 days for this trip

I'm fine traveling coach. Always done it. gramps can do whatever he feels - it's his money.

I have no doubts that BC is a good deal. But he may just not be willing to pay it. I'm easy going and go with the flow...

We did snap that up! Feeling very smug! Can't wait as we've never experienced business class! OOOO,EEEE, baby!

Well you will enjoy a decent meal and be able to stretch out and get some zzzzzz's. Just sit back and relax and enjoy your cruise and arrive somewhat rested. Enjoy!

I can't help him with $$. The only reason I'm going is bc he needed a traveling buddy and he was paying.

I work full time and I'm in grad school part time. My husband and I barely make enough to keep up with mortgage and other stuff and pay tuition to get thru school debt free.

I also don't get paid for vacation time. So there's that and I'm taking off 7 days for this trip

I'm fine traveling coach. Always done it. gramps can do whatever he feels - it's his money.

I have no doubts that BC is a good deal. But he may just not be willing to pay it. I'm easy going and go with the flow...

We all hope you make your connection on the return flight. Let us know.

Sarah, I have no doubt you would be fine in coach, just like my sons would be. They would be happy for the trip, and deal with coach. But I think you need to put your foot down and say that grandpa has to be in business class. You are the person who is going to have to be taking care of and dealing with him. Business class will make the trip SO much easier for both of you. And truly, if he gas enough money for a cruise on regent, he can spare $2000 for business class.

Rachel, no one responding to Sarah has had a different mindset. My kids same age as yours, I think (well, mine in 30's), are happy just to GO, they've never flown anything but economy. Biz class would be so nice for both Sarah and grandpa. But she has already said that she's never had a trip given to her from grandpa, can you imagine that? I guess I am putting grandpa at the age of my own parents, who would now be about 110 years or older ;-), children of the depression.

He just might think she is smacking the gift horse in the mouth if she "put her foot down"? I'm not sure I would want to face him down either!

Sarah, here you have a bunch of people probably a generation older than you telling you what you should, but you came here and asked a question. We're well meaning, only trying to help you AND grandpa enjoy it more.

You seem like a go with the flow person. I hope grandpa is too, since he's never been in biz class, and made it fine all the way to Israel. When I look back on my travels, I don't remember the flights nearly so much as I remember the trips. Hey, keep saving those miles and don't waste them on hotels or gift certificates. With your Chase Sapphire, you already have 40K miles!

haha, Sarah, present all this with him, and he makes the choice, no matter what you think he will say.

Let him read it all, the whole thread! He chooses. Then, if there are problems, you'll do fine, go with the flow and enjoy the trip. And he won't have anyone to blame but himself if things go awry.

I just don't want Sarah to get over to Europe, and Grandpa end up sick due to no rest because he was sitting in coach for what is a very long trip or worse have a DVT or pulmonary embolism. And she would have to deal with him either sick or in the hospital.

We went on a river cruise with very good friends last fall. The husband is a bit older than us and his wife. They were in that new better than regular coach but not business class (can't think what it is called, premium coach perhaps, but you get more legroom) on the way over and business on the way back. He got very sick due to what I think was just exhaustion and actually considered coming back home because he felt so bad. I convinced him that that would make him feel even worse, and he just rested for the first 3 days of the trip and after that was ok. But he basically lost the first 3 days. Coming back, he was fine because he was able to fully recline and get some rest on the flight. But he says he is never going to fly that far again because he just can't handle it--and he used to fly all over in coach just a few years ago.

I just don't want Sarah to get over to Europe, and Grandpa end up sick due to no rest because he was sitting in coach for what is a very long trip or worse have a DVT or pulmonary embolism. And she would have to deal with him either sick or in the hospital.

We went on a river cruise with very good friends last fall. The husband is a bit older than us and his wife. They were in that new better than regular coach but not business class (can't think what it is called, premium coach perhaps, but you get more legroom) on the way over and business on the way back. He got very sick due to what I think was just exhaustion and actually considered coming back home because he felt so bad. I convinced him that that would make him feel even worse, and he just rested for the first 3 days of the trip and after that was ok. But he basically lost the first 3 days. Coming back, he was fine because he was able to fully recline and get some rest on the flight. But he says he is never going to fly that far again because he just can't handle it--and he used to fly all over in coach just a few years ago.

Rachel, I am glad you brought up the DVT issue which can be very serious and even fatal. I am a retired 27 year flight attendant with AA and I have seen this over the years. Anybody can get this but people with restrictive mobility are far more at risk on long flights.

Two things I advise, don't cross your legs for extended periods and if you can walk after the service do it. Also, hydrate yourself with water. The cabin pressure will make your body swell and you will feel bloated and it does affect your legs and feet.

All airlines are equipped with first aid kits and medical kit which can be only be opened by a doctor if you are lucky can open or an EMT' or RN. We are highly trained how to deal with medical situations and have to go back to training every year for recurrent. We must know CPR and how to use the AED and evaluate the passenger. If it is critical we call for a code red on the interphone and request certified medical assistance at seat # whatever.

If the passenger can be stabilized by a medical professional we keep going. If not we deviate and land. Try doing that on the long pond ....the Pacific crossing to Narita.

I have delivered a baby on the aircraft, prevented a chocking and attended to a heart attack situation and even a death onboard.

The reason for my rant is to be aware of your medical issues before you leave or plan a vacation. And for God sakes get good travel insurance that includes evacuation.

I have attended to several medical emergencies on board flights over the years (including a full code blue--with myself, an internist, and a cardiologist--very impressed with the medical equipment aboard that AA flight--we diverted to Shannon Ireland, but unfortunately later learned the man who we had resusitated passed away later, probably IMO because he had been hypoxic in the bathroom too long before being noticed away from his seat).

At any rate, I definitely prefer to not have to deal with that ever again if possible. A doctor friend of mine dropped dead in Atlanta airport a few years back after getting off a plane from South Africa--and yes, he was flying coach to save money.

I have attended to several medical emergencies on board flights over the years (including a full code blue--with myself, an internist, and a cardiologist--very impressed with the medical equipment aboard that AA flight--we diverted to Shannon Ireland, but unfortunately later learned the man who we had resusitated passed away later, probably IMO because he had been hypoxic in the bathroom too long before being noticed away from his seat).

At any rate, I definitely prefer to not have to deal with that ever again if possible. A doctor friend of mine dropped dead in Atlanta airport a few years back after getting off a plane from South Africa--and yes, he was flying coach to save money.

Rachel, I am sure you know we must continue CPR unless a Doctor or EMT pronounces them deceased. I have seen issues in the airport as well. My.horror story was working to HNL and I chatted up this family who were very nice and so excited about going to Hawaii. Well half way through the flight I get the code red at their seat row. Grandpa is not responding and his head was on the tray table. Trust me everybody goes into action. My duty as Purser was to make a PA for medical assistance and just pray you have one onboard. We did have a doctor onboard and we had all our equipment ready. My flying partners already had the AED on this gentleman and doing CPR. We are using the AED and it kept saying administer shock. The doctor told us to stop and then he tried the adrenalin. No such luck.

We were all devastated and of course the family. The flight was completely full and all we could do is cover him with a blanket and let his family mourn. We have so much paper work to do when this happens. What a sad ending for something that was to be so special and it was over Christmas.

We have a great support team at AA and they check on you for any trauma event as well as the family.

Rachel, I am sure you would respond if something happened on your cruise to a fellow guest.

Oh definitely, I was called upon on our AMA cruise last Nov. Thankfully the gentleman had just had a bit to much to drink and was fine, but everyone got a bit of a scare.

My son's future father in law was head of one of the post trauma teams for AA for years ( not sure what the actual name is, but he was in NYC of over a year post 9/11 dealing with the issues). We in tulsa love our AA.

(Sorry, mods, for taking this too far OT!)

Grandpa wears compression hose to help blood flow in his legs.

He also gets up to go to the bathroom a lot.

He doesn't like to drink water.

Don't worry, I will bug him about getting up and walking around and drinking water when possible on the flight.

I am a big water drinker - but I tend to drink less on flights b/c I don't like having to make the aisle person get up and down for me and my bladder - esp on international flights!!! :rolleyes: BUT if gramps is in the aisle with me, then I'll just tell him to nudge me when he is getting up to potty. teehee.

He survived a much longer flight to Israel in Coach. I have no doubt he can handle this 8 hour flight to London...

He did call the TA on Monday - not sure exactly what he was inquiring about specifically, but she would get back to him.