CD question

LadyCruisers

On an Insignia cruise we took about three years ago we had a CD by the name of I believe Dave or David last name escapes me. He was standoffish and not my favorite. Was wondering if he was still with Oceania. With a three week cruise coming up on Nautica I would hope he would not be our CD.

On an Insignia cruise we took about three years ago we had a CD by the name of I believe Dave or David last name escapes me. He was standoffish and not my favorite. Was wondering if he was still with Oceania. With a three week cruise coming up on Nautica I would hope he would not be our CD.

You're probably referring to David Peterson; he can be a bit abrupt, but we've found him to be excellent at his job, which is directing the cruise activities and activity staff and not necessarily being an entertainer. He's been with Oceania at least since our first cruise with them in 2006; I don't see any reason why he'd be leaving.

When you receive your document package it will list the CD. In the meantime, if your TA is any good, he/she should be able to find out who is scheduled. Will it make a difference whether you keep the booking?

Edited by hondorner

David Peterson was a last-minute substitution for Roy Perez on our January Riviera cruise. It is my understanding that he will not be sailing for long because he has been promoted to supervise the Cruise Directors and based shoreside in Miami.

Here's my opinion excerpted from my cruise review:

David Peterson is very efficient, well-organized and has a very dry sense of humor, but he was not one of those warm and friendly guys who would greet you in the hallway. He had his first morning show shot with him sitting behind his office desk, and he made a point of turning back to his keyboard while still on camera at the end, so I knew immediately that this was a CD with a very different attitude towards his role than I previously had experienced onboard Oceania.

I am a trivia fan, and David’s insistence on flying through the questions, even while adding varying amounts of bonus points to each of the 20 questions asked, plus marking all the papers himself, then showing off his mathematical skills by adding everyone’s scores in record time at the afternoon trivia, really was a downer for me, and we ceased attending after the first two days onboard.

Edited by CintiPam

David Peterson is was. I would never consider altering my plans because of the CD. Recent posts re CD's just aroused my curiosity because his name was never mentioned anywhere along the way. I don't expect any CD to be an entertainer, my friend or anything else other than to do what he/she is employed to do and to do it well. However, I would expect a courteous hello or good morning back from any ship officer/employee rather than a grunt when you are the only two in the elevator. I walked out of the elevator feeling invisible and not a welcomed guest of Oceania. It was surprising. This was my personal experience. Sounds like the promotion to head of CD's and shoreside will be a good fit. Whenever we cruise (and it's frequent), I always look forward to cruising with different CD's. They all lend their different personalities to the experience. Some are just more enjoyable than others. Every cruise is an experience I look forward to.

...It is my understanding that he will not be sailing for long because he has been promoted to supervise the Cruise Directors and based shoreside in Miami...

Pam, that makes a great deal of sense because David is a terrific administrator and manager.

Despite the coldness he appears to have, the incredible fact is that he is a dedicated philanthropist, working with various charities, visiting orphanages and devoted to "giving back", especially to children. We personally saw his interaction with the children of Boca da Valeria as Santa Claus (in sweltering heat) delivering gifts from the crew of Regatta.

105730.jpg

Edited by hondorner

Are you asking how Dottie is doing physically (after her recent illness) or how she is as a CD?

If the latter, she's marvelous. And we personally tend to ignore the CDs. (They might be more important to us if we did Trivia, however!)

Her husband is also an excellent comic. Friends dragged us to his show and we were sure we wouldn't care for it, but he had us laughing. Maybe because we're New Yorkers and he's from New Jersey ...

Maybe!

Mura

Are you asking how Dottie is doing physically (after her recent illness) or how she is as a CD?

If the latter, she's marvelous. And we personally tend to ignore the CDs. (They might be more important to us if we did Trivia, however!)

Her husband is also an excellent comic. Friends dragged us to his show and we were sure we wouldn't care for it, but he had us laughing. Maybe because we're New Yorkers and he's from New Jersey ...

Maybe!

Mura

That's good as she's listed as the CD on our Regatta cruise next week.

We're not on the entire world cruise, just 55 days, but have idly wondered about CD and crew changes during the 180 days. I don't recall how long the contracts are, but hope that Dottie will be there for us. She's our very favorite, and we are so happy she is back on O anywhere. Marlene

We and the friends we have cruised with on multiple occasions would be ecstatic if Dottie were the CD on the ATW cruise. She has been the CD on at least 6 of our Oceania cruises (including a 35 and a 45 day cruise) and there is no one we would rather have on board for a lengthy cruise. We are crossing our fingers.

Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tom (Drake) is hilarious. He's fantastic at ad lib comedy. One of his favorites is to go over the passenger list and look for unusual hometowns. When he spotted our town of Okeechobee, he let loose -- fast and funny comments about red necks, bars, cowboys, etc (Okeechobee is the largest cattle raising county in Florida, which is the largest cattle raising state east of the Mississippi). He was dead on. After the show, I asked him how he was able to pin our town so accurately. He said that in his earliest days as a stand-up comic, he played at the Brahma Bull, a Redneck cowboy bar in Okeechobee!

If you're from McKeesport, PA, don't miss Dottie's show warm-ups. She likes to give a bottle of sparkling wine to those from her hometown. Betsy won a bottle because she's from Greensburg, PA, right down the road from McKeesport and a sister city.

We love Dottie and Tom, and agree they should be on at least a portion of the World Cruuise in early 2015. We've already heard a strong rumor that our favorite captain will be on board at least part of the cruise!

I loved sailing with David Peterson. Sad to hear he will no longer be on board. I was hoping he might be cd one one of my next three o cruises.

So who is left?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I too wonder who is left. You leave the sailing before ours. Perhaps Dottie?:D

We are on the 7/27 sailing to Alaska. It is our first with Oceanic. Do the doc come directly to you at home or to your TA?

Hope you give us an account of your cruise. Hints on what to see and do... Hints to enjoy the ship.

Thanks.

Louise

We are on the 7/27 sailing to Alaska. It is our first with Oceanic. Do the doc come directly to you at home or to your TA?

Hope you give us an account of your cruise. Hints on what to see and do... Hints to enjoy the ship.

Thanks.

Louise

First, you are on Oceania, not Oceanic (I hope)

The documents come to your home.

As far as what to do and see, join your roll call and connect with fellow cruisers now. Join private shore excursions or just learn what your fellow passengers are planning Go to Oceania Roll Calls, Regatta Roll Calls and search for your roll call there.

Hints to enjoy the ship are many and you can find them by searching or trolling the many threads. Way too much to post.

Thanks.

Louise

It may depend on how your TA has it set up

Some are sent to the TA & they contact you or send them on

some are sent directly to you

You get the cruise Planner booklet about 4-6weeks out then about 3 weeks out you get an email of final invoice

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

The CD doesn't make or break a cruise for me since I don't play Trivia, but it's true that the CD's personality can add to the overall vibes.

Dottie was CD on my first Regatta cruise, to NE/Canada/Bermuda during Hurricane Sandy. Her upbeat, enthusiastic personality really helped when the cruise had to change ports several times (and skip Bermuda altogether) and some passengers grumbled. She was very involved with the ship's activities, even handing out water bottles when we debarked for excursions. (Although it was only October, she'd wear earmuffs!) I hope she is doing well after her recent illness.

David Peterson was CD on my Regatta cruise to Alaska last May. Definitely a much more subdued personality. However, I was impressed by the brightly colored ties and matching pocket hankies that he wore on his daily TV briefings!