LIVE forn the JEWEL of the SEAS, Lots of Pictures, Island reviews and more!

MDSue

Now that I've finished our tour of El Yunque and Luquillo Beach, I'm going to skip back to our hotel and the Old San Juan area. We also walked all around El Morro National Park, and, of course, I have lots of pictures from there as well.

I will get back to the ship and the islands, I promise, but one of the best parts of sailing out of San Juan is getting a bonus island. I know some people are on a tight vacation schedule, but it is really worthwhile to fly in a few days early and enjoy all that Puerto Rico has to offer.

Whenever I read posts from people who think San Juan has nothing to offer or they are simply going to stay on the ship really haven't done their homework. Although the economy is suffering in many parts of the island, there is much beauty and plenty to see and do there.

On our first visit to San Juan, a friend who lived in Rincon, Puerto Rico recommended the Howard Johnson's located in the heart of Old San Juan (there are two, and the one she recommended was in a 400-year-old building; nothing like any typical Howard Johnson's I've ever seen. Since our first visit, we've stayed there 3 times. It is now called Plaza De Armas Hotel and it is no longer part of Howard Johnson's.

We were eager to see whether it was still a decent place to stay under the new management and for the most part, we were quite pleased. The staff was very attentive and helpful. The lobby was clean and a mix of modern mixed with historic touches. The elevator is about as old as they get and can barely squeeze in 2 adults and a little luggage. It is definitely a trip back in time.

The benefit of staying at Plaza De Armas is it's location- right in the heart of Old San Juan right by the Plaza of the same name. We always book a balcony room which has doors that open onto small wrought iron balconies that overlooks the square.

The downside is the noise! If you want a quiet peaceful room, then perhaps one of their windowless rooms further back in the building would be more fitting, but we like the fresh air and balconies. There is no escaping the city noises though and believe me, there is a lot going on all night long. However, we don't mind it and have even slept with the balcony doors open on occasion.

The place could use a fresh coat of paint and perhaps a bit of modernizing, but the historic charm is undeniable. I also like to stay at the more resort-like hotel of the Condado Hilton Plaza in Condado, which is much more luxurious than Plaza De Armas, but we enjoyed our stay within walking distance of everything in town. There is no pools or beaches nearby , just the restaurants, shops, churches, museums, and forts of Old San Juan.

Another big plus was the on-site bakery. they offered good coffee and fresh baked goodies, plus a few breakfast items like a ham and cheese croissant and fresh orange juice.

Here is a picture of the outside of Plaza De Armas Hotel. Our room was the top balcony on the left.

IMG_8932_zps0ef06b90.jpg

Here is the lobby:

DSC08200_zps6c9f9a3d.jpg

And here is the "antique" elevator.

DSC08196_zps99e02ed8.jpg

There are steps next to the elevator for anyone who is a little claustrophobic.

Edited by MDSue

This picture didn't come out too good but it shows the view out of our balcony doors from our room. The room is fairly basic with a king-sized bed, a chair and desk, a tv, and a mini-fridge, and a bathroom with a shower (no bath).

DSC08062_zps9adb1060.jpg

A view looking towards the water and port area from our balcony- about a two or three block walk:

DSC08049_zpsf4a40297.jpg

And a view of the plaza from our room. On the weekends, there is usually live entertainment or arts and craft booths set up. It is a nice place to hang out and there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

DSC08044_zps22df9983.jpg

Good morning from Old San Juan (Well, not really). I'm back at home now, but I'm starting today's review in the heart of Old San Juan. We are going to walk around the city and take a tour of El Morro. There is so much history, art, and fun places visit in the city.

From our balcony, we had great views of the city and were within easy walking distance of pretty much the whole town. There was a trolley stop right outside our door which will take you around the city free of charge. Taxis were always parked right across the street.

We chose to spend our second day in San Juan just walking- and a lot of it!

We started our day at the bakery located on the premises:

IMG_8931_zps1fed775c.jpg

Then we headed towards the port area down Calle San Francisco. There is a nice overlook and patio area there to sit and relax or just enjoy the view:

IMG_9247_zps40c0e1f6.jpg

The streets are narrow and paved with blue cobblestones that were once used as ballasts in old Spanish Galleons.

IMG_9070_zps2fa94e4a.jpg

Along the way, we passed unusual sights like these caricatures hanging from a balcony. This was shortly before Easter and we assumed these were three wise men and part of a religious theme. Easter is a very significant holiday in all of the Caribbean islands.

IMG_9067_zps9a180cb0.jpg

A closer view of the men:

IMG_9069_zps007eb7ef.jpg

I honestly can't remember the order of the streets that we traveled during our three days in San Juan, so I'll just include a handful of the pretty streets and colorful buildings located throughout Old San Juan:

IMG_9127_zps05da0a25.jpg

IMG_9245_zpsd28abe89.jpg

More of Old San Juan:

The buildings and streets were a mix of homes, businesses, and government offices. We've always felt perfectly safe walking anywhere around the city. There are lots of pedestrians, tourists, and locals throughout the town.

IMG_9237_zps2a22c7e1.jpg

IMG_9236_zpsc2058140.jpg

IMG_9242_zps698364db.jpg

I have lots more of Old San Juan, but now I'm going to head over to El Morro- a fairly easy hike from our hotel. If you still haven't gotten enough pictures of OSJ from this review, I have tons more in my review of the Caribbean Princess (located in my signature)

Approaching El Morro National Park:

Before you reach the park, you'll pass the tall structure that is surrounded by water jets that come out of the plaza. It wasn't on at the time, but the kids love splashing in the spray when it is on

IMG_9108_zps69de6e2b.jpg

You may also see these statues:

IMG_9117_zps9d8e218c.jpg

IMG_9116_zps722a0a0e.jpg

And finally....

Welcome to El Morro:

IMG_9129_zpsff3c77f5.jpg

The large open field is a popular spot for picnics and kite flying. On the day we were there, there were many local school children on field trips. The parking lot is frequently full of familiar yellow school buses.

IMG_9119_zps186b92f7.jpg

IMG_9120_zps845d2591.jpg

Thee is a $5 admission fee that covers both El Morro and San Cristobal or you can pay $3 just for admission to El Morro. The $5 ticket is good for a few days.

IMG_9146_zpsfa50aac4.jpg

IMG_9145_zps32584208.jpg

IMG_9140_zps5dcaf1f6.jpg

Edited by MDSue

From the walls of the fort, there are beautiful views of the water and the city:

This view shows Condado in the distance, and the small area called "La Perla" in the middle, which is the one neighborhood that is not for tourists due to security and crime concerns. I noticed the path to San Cristobal goes right past La Perla, but I'm sure the path is well monitored by Park staff. There is also an historic cemetery right next to the park.

IMG_9185_zps543bd42c.jpg

A view of the ocean from the walls:

IMG_9151_zpscaa18b5f.jpg

IMG_9177_zps2c513c49.jpg

Sue - your pictures of OSJ are absolutely stunning! We will be there in a little over a week and plan to spend the afternoon before our cruise (Friday) in OSJ. Lunch at the Parrot Club, and then browsing through the city streets. This review is coming at the perfect time!:cool:

Sue - your pictures of OSJ are absolutely stunning! We will be there in a little over a week and plan to spend the afternoon before our cruise (Friday) in OSJ. Lunch at the Parrot Club, and then browsing through the city streets. This review is coming at the perfect time!:cool:

Thanks, I think the city is so much fun and a refreshing change from the typical island ports (not that I don't like the beachy island ports!)

My sister and travel partner is from AZ also. We meet up once a year for our annual cruise adventure.

Enjoy your trip!

Susan

Good afternoon, I'm just going to add a few more of El Morro and go back to Old San Juan. By tomorrow, I promise I'll be onto the Jewel and our island stops of St. Thomas (St. John), St. Croix, Antigua, Martinique, and St, Lucia.

El Morro con't:

These watchtowers are common at El Morro and at other locations around the city. Old San Juan is pretty much completely surrounded by fortification walls and towers.

IMG_9191_zps0244e2c6.jpg

The lighthouse:

IMG_9178_zpsecbe7fa3.jpg

A map of the forts that surround OSJ:

IMG_9147_zpscd2e1c2d.jpg

Views from the fort:

DSC08068_zps1f6305ed.jpg

DSC08066_zpsc734799e.jpg

Artillery:

DSC08073_zps6ddd9bbd.jpg

Well, I think that's about enough of El Morro, but there is a ton more to see. You can do a good walking tour in 2 or 3 hours unless you want to follow the path to San Cristobal. That looked to be quite a hike and we didn't go that far.

Leaving El Morro and returning to the heart of the city

The fortification wall continues right into the heart of OSJ and later in the evening we strolled this part of the wall. This prominent red door is featured in many paintings of the city:

DSC08114_zps0f647846.jpg

The walkway in OSJ at dusk:

DSC08098_zpsb23c45e5.jpg

DSC08100_zps9b500746.jpg

Many of the ships come later in the day and stay into the evening. Lots of people wonder what to do that late in the day. It is pretty easy to see that the trails are well lit and a nice place for a stroll. There are quite a few bars, restaurants, and food stands located on the pathway heading towards the waterfront. It is well-lit and safe in the evening

DSCN5981_zps973b9567.jpg

DSCN5982_zpscd643681.jpg

IMG_9267_zpscdca0850.jpg

Hi Maggie, We did bring the cruise compasses home with us. My scanner is not communicating with my computer so I'll have to take individual pictures of each page and upload. It will take me a few days before I can get to them:)

Thanks Susan! That would be so great to see them.

That sunset picture is breathtaking!

Thanks, I think the city is so much fun and a refreshing change from the typical island ports (not that I don't like the beachy island ports!)

My sister and travel partner is from AZ also. We meet up once a year for our annual cruise adventure.

Enjoy your trip!

Susan

Thanks! You should have your sister check out our Arizona Cruiser's Group, part of the Cruise Critic "Friends of Cruise Critic" forum. We chat and much more. Fourteen of us will be cruising together out of San Juan beginning next week.:) There is a link to our forum in my signature.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

The procession:

A few years ago, we were staying in Old San Juan at the same hotel on Good Friday. We were walking around the streets in front of the Plaza when we were met by a procession of hundreds (if not thousands) of people. Some of the men were carrying a large replica of Mary of Nazareth:

DSC01187.jpg

We didn't really expect to find another procession this year since it was a week before Good Friday. We noticed a large gathering in front of the Catholic Church by the El Convento Hotel. There was a marching band and hundreds of people. We waited around for awhile and then headed back to our hotel.

A little while later, we realized that they must be doing a practice run for the Good Friday procession and they were marching right by our hotel. We had a front row view from our balcony (another reason I love staying in the heart of town!)

The marching band:

DSC08143_zps1882e2cc.jpg

Followed by the priests:

DSC08164_zps3ab3be2e.jpg

Well, I think I've included enough of Old San Juan. I literally have hundreds of more pictures, but it's time to get on the ship!

Coming up next, I'll get to pictures of the Jewel- a beautiful ship. I'd like to say the radiance class ships are my favorite, but in all honesty, it's the only class of Royal Caribbean ships I've been on. We sailed the Serenade twice before and thought she was undeniably beautiful compared to those "other lines". I can't compare to other Royal ships, but I think the size is just right and don't really have a desire at this point to try a mega-ship.

Now off the picking out my favorite ship pics....

Susan

First, Sue- loving your photos and review...I'm bookmarking it for our daughter who has not been yet, so she can "choose" where she wants to visit in OSJ by looking at your great photos! I would also really appreciate Compass photos!

Our Bio Bay tour was canceled because the little bugs are going dark on Vieques island. I hope we can get to the other end of the island as there is another bio bay on the south east end.

Norine

Norine- we were able to do the Bio bay in Fajardo...it was crowded, and a little "bright" the night we went, but nothing could be done about the moon;) We had also heard that the organisms that luminesce are on the decline, lastly, the Fajardo experience is kayaking only, so if you have mobility issues, it's unlikely to be an option...we did see the glow, but it was faint, sadly. I would say that if you really want to see this phenomena, do it soon, hope for a dark day, and don't expect too much, but in the other hand, it's likely not getting better and it may be the last chance:( (I've got photos in my Jewel Southern review)

Edited by Familygoboston

First, Sue- loving your photos and review...I'm bookmarking it for our daughter who has not been yet, so she can "choose" where she wants to visit in OSJ by looking at your great photos! I would also really appreciate Compass photos!

Norine- we were able to do the Bio bay in Fajardo...it was crowded, and a little "bright" the night we went, but nothing could be done about the moon;) We had also heard that the organisms that luminesce are on the decline, lastly, the Fajardo experience is kayaking only, so if you have mobility issues, it's unlikely to be an option...we did see the glow, but it was faint, sadly. I would say that if you really want to see this phenomena, do it soon, hope for a dark day, and don't expect too much, but in the other hand, it's likely not getting better and it may be the last chance:( (I've got photos in my Jewel Southern review)

I'm glad you are enjoying the review. Make sure you check out my San Juan pics from my Caribbean Princess review, also. I tried to include different pictures this time around. We stayed in Condado last time, so I have pictures of that area also.

I also heard that the biobay was not as brilliant as it once was. I hope that we don't lose the opportunity to see it one day.

Here's a few lodging options beside the Plaza De Armas that your daughter may want to consider.

The Sheraton is right in front of the main dock in town (but not by the Pan Am pier). I have heard they have a two night minimum:

IMG_9261_zpsa4c12b8a.jpg

The El Convento was right in the heart of OSJ in a beautiful setting, but I've heard it is quite pricy (haven't checked personally)

ElCovento_zpsb3204cb3.jpgG][/url]

When we stay Condado, I like to stay at the Condado Hilton Plaza (formerly, the Conrad Condado). It is super close to the Pan Am pier and within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants in Condado. It has a rocky beach front, but it is located right next to an inlet with a calm beach and a lagoon that is great for swimming, paddleboarding (SUP), and snorkeling:

4292_zpsbfbacc40.jpg

I've got to run some errands for a few hours and then I'll be back with Jewel pictures.

See you soon!

Susan

Better late than never, I hope! I'm one of those people who compulsively researches every island we visit so I'll have a good idea of where to go or what to do. I check out all of the recommended local tour guides, and also see what the cruise-sponsored tours offer.

One thing I don't do too much of is look at pictures of the ship interior because I kind of like it to be a surprise. But I know many people want to see ship pictures and the Jewel is beautiful. My favorite place by far was the atrium. They used ever changing lighting designs to create beautiful and colorful designs that filled the atrium from top to bottom; especially in the evening.

It is a must see. Like I've said earlier, I just love the Radiance class ships.

Here are a few images of the atrium.

If you go up to the Crown and Anchor club area near the top of the ship you can peer down through a glass dome and see this view below:

IMG_9816_zpsd37f9677.jpg

There was changing views on the walls that reflected on the jewels hanging from the ceiling:

IMG_9812_zps36ef9b9d.jpg

IMG_9821_zpse6edd151.jpg