Must you reserve shows?

sjde

You don't HAVE TO do anything on NCL! :) The shows can be booked on board. There is always a chance that a particular time/date may be full at any given point. the thing is how important is it to you to have exact time and dates set for everything? It is kind of a double edged sword. The more stuff you book the more you know what you will be doing and when, but then to some that counteracts the whole idea of being on vacation. Also remember if you book just to 'hold a space' you may end up blocking someone who really does wnat to go at that time. So IMHO the best thing to do is balance what y'all want to do on your cruise and how importanat it is that you have everything set ahead of time with commoncourtesy of not blocking others etc. I hope this helps some you enjoy your cruise...

You don't NEED to do it - it's afterall, Freestyle Cruising with some IF's and BUT's.

Different shows on at different times for different nights - some are more popular than others, Burn The Floor is 60+ minutes and Rock of Ages is 120+ minutes, and with the relatively "smaller" Main Theater - your CAN go standby and take your chances, if it's fully booked or reserved - and a long line to replace the no-shows 10 minutes before showtime, you won't be allowed in as they swipe your Key Card for entry.

Reserve it online 45 days before sailing if you can, it's still open seating and not reserved seat assignments, doors open 30 minutes before showtime. There is no penalty to cancel or for no-shows, your "reservations" would be released by the cutoff time. I would book it to avoid disappointment and take out the element of uncertainity - and organize meal plans & bar hours, etc. accordingly.

We didn't reserved Jungle Fantasy Dinner Show ahead of sailing & waited until embarkation, walk over to the "Box Office" to book it for Day 1 - with a 25% discount, net $29.95 per person - and there was availability for both the early & late shows that evening. The Welcome Abroad Show for the evening of Day 1 did not require a reservation.

Edited by mking8288
Fixed, thanks Dexddd

You don't NEED to do it - it's afterall, Freestyle Cruising with some IF's and BUT's.

Different shows on at different times for different nights - some are more popular than others, Burn of Ages is 60+ minutes and Rock The Floor is 120+ minutes, and with the relatively "smaller" Main Theater - your CAN go standby and take your chances, if it's fully booked or reserved - and a long line to replace the no-shows 10 minutes before showtime, you won't be allowed in as they swipe your Key Card for entry.

Reserve it online 45 days before sailing if you can, it's still open seating and not reserved seat assignments, doors only 30 minutes before showtime. There is no penalty to cancel or for no-shows, your "reservations" would be released by the cutoff time. I would book it to avoid disappointment and take out the element of uncertainity - and organize meal plans & bar hours, etc. accordingly.

We didn't reserved Jungle Fantasy Dinner Show ahead of sailing & waited until embarkation, walk over to the "Box Office" to book it for Day 1 - with a 25% discount, net $29.95 per person - and there was availability for both the early & late shows that evening. The Welcome Abroad Show for the evening of Day 1 did not require a reservation.

I know we were on the same cruise but I think the names are somewhat reversed.

Edited by dexddd

Thanks!

So which are the most popular and therefore most likely to need pre-booking if you want to get in? Apparently Illusionarium is one.

I didn't see that Jungle Fantasy was a dinner show. Maybe it used to be, with a charge?

Premier, Bahamas. 6/90

HAL Maasdam , Alaska, 9/03

RCCL Jewel, New England/Canada, 10/04

RCCL, Vision, Mexican Riviera, 3/07

Celebrity, Solstice, Eastern /Southern Caribbean, 12/07

Azamara Journey, Mediterranean, 11/08

Celebrity Solstice, Eastern Med, 11/09

AMA Amacello, Danube, Nuremberg to Budapest, 10/10

Emerald Princess, Caribbean, 3/11

AMA Amadolce, Rhine-Luxembourg to Amsterdam, 6/12

Grand Circle, Danube Christmas Markets, Vienna to Nuremberg, 11/12

Azamara Quest, French Riviera, Barcelona to Nice, 4/13

HAL Maasdam, Canada/NE, 6/13

Oceania Marina, Barcelona to Barcelona, 11/13

RCCL Freedom, Eastern Caribbean, 6/14

NCL Breakaway , Bermuda, 9/14

Grand Circle , Christmas Markets on the Rhine, Strasbourg to Amsterdam, 11/14

Thanks!

So which are the most popular and therefore most likely to need pre-booking if you want to get in? Apparently Illusionarium is one.

I didn't see that Jungle Fantasy was a dinner show. Maybe it used to be, with a charge?

The Illusionarium is only on Getaway. The Breakaway equivalent is the Cirque Dreams show in the Speigel Tent. It's a dinner show and thus the extra charge for this show $39pp.

If there is anything you REALLY want to do or eat, and on a specific night, I would definitely reserve in advance. On our (early) Breakaway sailing, Cirque was pretty much sold out for every night before sailing (Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor weren't as bad). With the "free dining plan" promotion, a lot more people are trying to get reservations for the specialties (used to be not many ate in the specialties).. If you are not picky about where you eat or are very flexible with time (meaning before 6 or after 8:30/9pm), you should be able to get something, but I'd hate to have you disappointed if there is something you really want. On our recent Gem sailing, which did not offer the "free UDP", and even using the concierge, we had difficulty getting 7-8pm reservations even a couple days in advance. Cagney's was difficult to get at prime time all week, even booking five days in advance...

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Keeping in mind from now thru the Fall, it's peak cruise season out of NY and not knowing your sailing date otherwise, it's fair to assume that every ship will leave full - 4,000 plus pax. We loved LeBistro and well worth applying our generous OBC to offset the $20 p/p and NCL recently promoted more bookings with free specialty dining & wine, etc. so you will see more folks trying to get reservations onboard - especially at popular time slots.

Assumed you are in Haven, VIP, suite or have other elite/concierge guest status, it can be a challenge unless you are flexible with dining time and can work your meal times along with show times. But, all advanced booking required credit card payment whereas onboard booking can be offset by OBC posted to your Guest Account.

Sailing 10+ years on NCL, it's fair to say that you will unlikely have problems booking Asian Fusion and/or Italian dining on the BA, except maybe for Teppanyaki - depending on your group size. The MDR's and speciality venues all have PLENTY of tables for 2 to 4 and should be able to seat you even as walk-in, as long as they aren't busy.

What's popular to us isn't necessary the same for others on the same ship, suffice to say that we saw both Rock of Ages and Burn The Floor once each, and both times, it was packed to capacity - we had reservations for 6 and I don't know how many were walk-ins as standby / no-show replacements. If you wanted to see something and it can be reserved, especially the freebies. BOOK it and work around your meal times - you can always go to the buffet & grab some snacks pre-show (we had lobster tails & seafood newburg, LOL)

As for Americanized "Chinese" food, it's available in the buffet for lunch & dinner, nothing really as far as specialty, except for Shanghai Noodle's a la carte dishes, open generally for dinner - walkins are just fine. If you enjoy Indian/curry dishes - the buffet got you covered lunch & dinner as part of Asian dining, no need to pay anything extra.

Ocean Blue (3 - 7 days frozen/fresh ??) Seafood is $49.95 p/p surcharged - no comments from me.

Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy Show is offered several nights twice so must be popular (including children in the audience) and you get a price-fixed simple dinner along with it. We enjoyed it - our OBC took care of the discounted price paid, go see it on Day 1, Embarkation evening and you will get credited automatically for the 25% discount by Day 3.

Edited by mking8288

Keeping in mind from now thru the Fall, it's peak cruise season out of NY and not knowing your sailing date otherwise, it's fair to assume that every ship will leave full - 4,000 plus pax. We loved LeBistro and well worth applying our generous OBC to offset the $20 p/p and NCL recently promoted more bookings with free specialty dining & wine, etc. so you will see more folks trying to get reservations onboard - especially at popular time slots.

Assumed you are do not have Haven, VIP, suite or have other elite/concierge guest status, it can be a challenge unless you are flexible with dining time and can work your meal times along with show times. But, all advanced booking required credit card payment whereas onboard booking can be offset by OBC posted to your Guest Account.

Sailing 10+ years on NCL, it's fair to say that you will unlikely have problems booking Asian Fusion and/or Italian dining on the BA, except maybe for Teppanyaki - depending on your group size. The MDR's and speciality venues all have PLENTY of tables for 2 to 4 and should be able to seat you even as walk-in, as long as they aren't busy.

What's popular to us isn't necessary the same for others on the same ship, suffice to say that we saw both Rock of Ages and Burn The Floor once each, and both times, it was packed to capacity - we had reservations for 6 and I don't know how many were walk-ins as standby / no-show replacements. If you wanted to see something and it can be reserved, especially the freebies. BOOK it and work around your meal times - you can always go to the buffet & grab some snacks pre-show (we had lobster tails & seafood newburg, LOL)

As for Americanized "Chinese" food, it's available in the buffet for lunch & dinner, nothing really as far as specialty, except for Shanghai Noodle's a la carte dishes, open generally for dinner - walkins are just fine. If you enjoy Indian/curry dishes - the buffet got you covered lunch & dinner as part of Asian dining, no need to pay anything extra.

Ocean Blue (3 - 7 days frozen/fresh ??) Seafood is $49.95 p/p surcharged - no comments from me.

Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy Show is offered several nights twice so must be popular (including children in the audience) and you get a price-fixed simple dinner along with it. We enjoyed it - our OBC took care of the discounted price paid.

End of Sept sailing-there are 2 of us.

We have seen 3 Cirque shows in Vegas and a Cirque-like show on Celebrity so may pass this by, though the cost is a lot less than Vegas!

So no coffee bar on the Breakaway? How is the coffee? I have found it's not very good on most cruises and too, when you ask for cream you often get milk, not half and half.

We don't spend extra or use OBC coffee, MDR or buffet coffee are just fine, strong for us but might be bitter for others, YMMV. Has coffee n cream in buffet dispenser or via Room Service n ask wait team for yours. LeBistro brew excellent ones with French press, included as part of the deal - had 2 cups myself w. cream burlee.

Tapatalk sent from Nexus 5 via 4GLTE/HSI

Edited by mking8288

Do you mean the $119 dining package? yeah, for us, that probably wouldn't pay. I think we just want French and Asian. maybe Chinesesor Italian.

I didn't mean that YOU would have the Dining Package, what I meant was that a LOT of people will have the dining package that normally wouldn't, meaning there will be a LOT of competition for specialty dining that there wouldn't normally be. This is because NCL just had a BIG promotion (on the Breakaway and other new ships) that gave the package for free when you booked a balcony or higher cabin - and as that promotion was running, I watched the Breakaway fill up tremendously (so that means a lot of people in the specialty restaurants). Late September should be a much quieter time, though, and with a party of two you'll have an easier time than a larger party during the summer. Shanghai Noodle Bar should be pretty easy to get a seat, Le Bistro will be tougher (it's fairly small and late bookers tend to get seated on the noisy fake indoor patio), the Italian restaurant somewhere in between (it's large, but pretty busy on the BA). As long as you're flexible, you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure there's a coffee bar in the atrium (called, ironically, The Cafe and Bar at the Atrium). All restaurants can also get you cappuccino or espresso at an extra cost (I find the regular coffee pretty weak). As said before, the French press at Le Bistro is very nice.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

So no coffee bar on the Breakaway? How is the coffee? I have found it's not very good on most cruises and too, when you ask for cream you often get milk, not half and half.

There's a coffee bar in the Atrium on Breakaway. They give you half&half in tiny plastic containers in the restaurants, but there's both milk and cream up in the buffet.

I can't speak about the quality of the coffee since I rarely drink it. When I did it tasted good to me but I'm not sure my tastes match yours.

How do I reserve shows? On the Pearl to Alaska and I can see where to to reserve shore excursions, dining etc. but entertainment says 0 and I'm not able to access it.

The Pearl does not have shows to reserve in advance of sailing. Only the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway have them available right now. The Pearl has the regular two shows a night format of traditional cruising. There may be some, like a "Murder Mystery Lunch" etc that you can reserve, but only once you're on board.

Robin

apparently now for ultimate dining package you get this copied from NCL's site

Platinum level Latitude Members will receive a $20.00 discount off the total Ultimate Dining Package price

Beginning with Norwegian Getaway's 4/19/14 sailing - Guests who have purchased the Ultimate Dining Package can reserve the embarkation day performance of The Illusionarium at no additional cost.

Beginning with Norwegian Breakaway's 4/20/14 sailing – Guests who have purchased the Ultimate Dining Package can reserve the embarkation day performance of Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy at no additional cost.

Beginning with Norwegian Epic's 5/8/14 sailing – Guests who have purchased the Ultimate Dining Package can reserve the embarkation day performance of Cirque Dreams at no additional cost.

Just reserved show for free on first night glad i caught that!

We were on the breakaway march 23-30th. It was a full ship, we saw burn the floor twice and rock of ages twice. All early shows and there were empty seats at all four shows. We had reservations once for each show and we did standby once for each show. We definitely had better seats when we had reservations but there were seats available for all four shows. So no one was turned away at the early shows, reservations just got you a better seat.

The later shows may be a different story but we were sleeping by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums