First cruise to Alaska, what to do in Juneau?

Sun lover 123

If you can afford to splurge go for the helicopter-landing-on-a-galcier excursion!

Our first port was Juneau and we did that excursion, on the way back to the ship my partner said to me: "we can go home now, that was worth the whole trip".

It really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

(We had the same feeling about a helicopter excursion over a vulcano in Hawaii. No, we don't always do expensive excursions!)

Ok, my dh & I committed to taking our first cruse to Alaska in May 2015. OMG!

that is a long time away. We are going on Westerdam. I enjoy reading all of your tips and advise. I have started making bookmarks for thing I want to return to. We haven't booked as of yet. I am waiting for the online TA

that is mentioned on CC to have a big sale. We will definitely get a balcony….

I just had to share :D

This is a link to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center....

if you take the city bus it will drop you off a mile and a half from the visitor's center....

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5401451

I would rather take the HAL tour.......

There is a special shuttle that goes straight to the entrance of the Visitor center. the "City Bus" is something different. that is the bus the locals use to get to and from downtown.

There is a special shuttle that goes straight to the entrance of the Visitor center. the "City Bus" is something different. that is the bus the locals use to get to and from downtown.

Good....a 3 mile walk sounded a little much....:)

Since I'm a virgin cruiser - I booked the 6.5 hour whale watching with Mendenhall, and something else through HAL. Not sure who the tour is with, i'm going by faith in the people who posted reviews, and to prevent the issue of being late - which I now know is probably not a problem even if you book outside the cruiseline. Whale watching is a bucket list

So far, I haven't booked anything for Sitka and Ketchikan, money will keep me from the flights this time [as in, there will be a next time!!!]

I also pre-bought the tram tickets up the mountain in Juneau, hopefully for a trip up before and after.

If you can afford to splurge go for the helicopter-landing-on-a-galcier excursion!

Our first port was Juneau and we did that excursion, on the way back to the ship my partner said to me: "we can go home now, that was worth the whole trip".

It really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

(We had the same feeling about a helicopter excursion over a vulcano in Hawaii. No, we don't always do expensive excursions!)

Two years ago I took a helicopter trip to a dog sled camp on a glacier. It was a a great experience. It is expensive but to me well worth it.

Edited by Traveler 13

Mr and Mrs Joseph S Schmoe (representing the Schmoes of Tallahassee) had the privilege of visiting Juneau last year. We rented a car near the docks for about $50. Did what we wanted when we wanted. Mendenhall Glacier (great), Alaskan Brewery (also great but Mr Schmoe is memory impaired), Walmart (overrated as a source of memorabilia). There is also a Costco in town. You can learn alot just by looking. Saw lots of humpbacks from the boat so whale watching tour was not high priority....maybe next time.

We rented from Juneau Car Rentals which was formerly the Rent-a-Wreck franchise...only have nice things to say about them

We visited Juneau last June and it was a clear, sunny day (89 degrees). We took the Mt. Roberts tram and were treated to some amazing views and photo opportunities! That said, better check the weather outlook. Next day in Sitka it was cool, (50ish) and foggy. We enjoyed it nonetheless, but no magnificent views. That cruise overall was memorable and we will definitely go again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How can you tell which is which...the special shuttle vs the city bus?

Is it a different colour? Also where do you get on it? And lastly how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance for your help:D

How can you tell which is which...the special shuttle vs the city bus?

Is it a different colour? Also where do you get on it? And lastly how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance for your help:D

MGTs Blue Glacier Express - This is the shuttle we used to get to Mendenhall independent of the cruise ship on our first cruise. At the time it was $16 pp round trip. Their website says $20 now when you try to buy online (but still says $16pp) so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up at the pier this year. You can buy tickets at the little booths outside the cruise ship terminal dock. The bus picks up right near the cruise ship.

Edited by Kesstral

MGTs Blue Glacier Express - This is the shuttle we used to get to Mendenhall independent of the cruise ship on our first cruise. At the time it was $16 pp round trip. Their website says $20 now when you try to buy online (but still says $16pp) so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up at the pier this year. You can buy tickets at the little booths outside the cruise ship terminal dock. The bus picks up right near the cruise ship.

This is the blue bus that goes direct to the glacier. Question for those that have taken it...can you spend as much time as you want at the glacier and have variable return times? Or is it a set departure and return ticket time?

This is the blue bus that goes direct to the glacier. Question for those that have taken it...can you spend as much time as you want at the glacier and have variable return times? Or is it a set departure and return ticket time?

You can take any of the blue busses back to downtown Juneau until the last one runs.

I booked the HAL Westerdam for 5/31/14. First time cruising and first time to Alaska. I wonder is it possible to book a helicopter tour after arrival in Juneau? I want to make sure the weather is fine before spending a fortune. Please advice.

Is it ok with your, IF you don't go? Are you looking for only a single seat? This really isn't a good plan, since, there is no way for you to "tell" how the weather is. IF flights can not fly due to conditions, you get a full refund.

Are you willing to have no plans during your port time, and then trying to snag anything left?

The only suggestion I have, if the "weather" is to your liking, before you even port in Juneau, get on the phone to all 3 vendor's who have the glacier landings, or add the 4th, if you are open to a trek, and see what may still be available.

Is it ok with your, IF you don't go? Are you looking for only a single seat? This really isn't a good plan, since, there is no way for you to "tell" how the weather is. IF flights can not fly due to conditions, you get a full refund.

Are you willing to have no plans during your port time, and then trying to snag anything left?

The only suggestion I have, if the "weather" is to your liking, before you even port in Juneau, get on the phone to all 3 vendor's who have the glacier landings, or add the 4th, if you are open to a trek, and see what may still be available.

How far in advance do you need to book the helicopter tour (family of 2 adults/2kids)? And which company do you recommend? Is the helicopter/dog sled tour worth the $$? Thanks!

Edited by lifesimplified