Southern Caribbean Excursions/Activities Help

Hello!

We have traveled on RC multiple times but never to the Southern Caribbean which our party of 9 could not be more excited about. We are open to beach activities, food tours, sport stuff...Our group ranges in age from 60s to 18 years old. I would love any insight, tips and suggestions on what to do on the following islands::

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. John

Thanks so much! Happy Cruising!

Gina

You may already know that there is much information to be found on the individual ports of call boards for these islands.

I'll mention a few things I have personal experience with, and you can also check out reviews on trip advisor, etc.

St. Kitts, we enjoyed Royston's open-window van tour, and the nice thing was, while some of our group was very active, others were not, and he made an effort to "get close to the action" in the van so even the ones who couldn't always get out and walk around could see something.

By St. John, I'm thinking you might mean Antigua, we loved Antigua Paddles, which does a kayak/snorkel/hike. This one was very active, however.

Thank you! Yes I did mean Antigua, St. Johns.

There are so many excursions to choose from on the actual RCCL site I was hoping to get some top suggestions using this method in order to narrow the search. Also some of the better excursions are not even listed on their website and have been suggested by other cruisers, hoping for some of that special insight too. :)

Hello!

We have traveled on RC multiple times but never to the Southern Caribbean which our party of 9 could not be more excited about. We are open to beach activities, food tours, sport stuff...Our group ranges in age from 60s to 18 years old. I would love any insight, tips and suggestions on what to do on the following islands::

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. John

Gina

Good morning Gina,

In St. Lucia, I would recommend Cosol Tour. http://www.cosol-tours.com/

It is a great deal for only $65/ person. You spend all day seeing the sights of the island and then you take a water taxi to a gorgeous beach located between the Pitons for swimming / snorkeling. It includes "breakfast" consisting of local snacks and fruits, all of your beverages throughout the day including water, soda and local beer as well as freshly baked bread and cheese later in the day.

In Barbados, I would suggest that you look into a snorkel / catamaran tour offered by a company called Calabaza. The cost is $110/ person and they only take 12 guest out sailing per day. http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/

Thank you! Yes I did mean Antigua, St. Johns.

There are so many excursions to choose from on the actual RCCL site I was hoping to get some top suggestions using this method in order to narrow the search. Also some of the better excursions are not even listed on their website and have been suggested by other cruisers, hoping for some of that special insight too. :)

The previous poster is correct, if you go to the port of calls on Cruise Critic, you can see each island and read reviews of different experiences.

We did Eli's Ecotours (Adventure Antigua) in Antigua, and enjoyed that excursion. St. Lucia, can't recommend our tour as it was not that great - local boat tour that was overcrowded and not enjoyable. St. Kitts we did the zipline and that was great.

We love Barbados for the beautiful beaches.

Edited by MIcruiser99
spelling

If you are in the mood to have a non-beach day in St. Kitts, I would recommend Greg's Safaris. He has a tour that goes for two hours touring out of the way spots in an open air safari truck, followed by a two hour hike in the rainforest. We really enjoyed this. He takes the hike (on his own trail that he maintains) fairly slow--telling about many plants. The hike is mostly shaded, without insects. It can be somewhat muddy and you have to be moderately fit. I am 60 and don't exercise much, and I did it just fine.

We enjoyed the peaceful nature of this excursion.

In Barbados, we have done an all day island tour with Glory tours as well as a catamaran sail and snorkel with Calabaza. Both were good, but I enjoyed the water excursion the most. A splurge excursion, but one we loved.

In St. Lucia I recommend Cosol's tour. I thought I would dislike the beach between the Pitons, but the scenery was unlike anything I had ever seen. Just take your Bonine for those roads,and be prepared for lots of vendors along the way. Great guides, well paced.

In Antigua we had a tour with Lawrence of Antigua. He was okay but I would not go with him again.

Hello!

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. John

Gina

We've been on Silver Moon catamaran on Barbados twice and they are GREAT. They have two boats, 24 and 12 passenger. If interested book early and try for the 12 person, as with any tour anywhere the fewer people the better:) Some friends went with them this winter and said it was the best excursion they've ever done. For a cheap day on Barbados at a great beach, take a quick taxi to the Boatyard. For 12.00pp they provide chairs, umbrella, a cocktail, and a ride back to the ship:)

We just did the Treetops zip lines on St. Lucia and it was awesome. But if it's your first time there the island tours with Cosol, Spencer Ambrose, etc are a good idea. They take in some great sites and stops including the beach at the Pitons. St. Lucia is a beautiful island.

A couple weeks ago on Antigua we took a taxi to Valley Church beach - beautiful!

As someone else noted, start researching the options here on the individual port boards.

We love the Southern itineraries!

St. Kitts - We've done the volcano hike through Poinciana Tours. We've also just spent the day relaxing at Palm Court Gardens. Next time we would want to do an island tour.

St. Lucia - I'd definitely recommend Cosol's tour. We had a great time last year.

Barbados - Last time we took a taxi to Payne's Bay beach and snorkeled with the turtles. This year we are going with Calabaza. Lots of different options depending how much money you want to spend.

St. John - The first time we took a taxi to Valley Church Beach. Beautiful spot. Our second time we toured with Lawrence of Antigua and it included beach time at Valley Church. For only two of us the tour made a lot more sense because the difference in price was minimal!

Here are some more suggestions and as others have said, a ton of information on the Caribbean boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

St. Kitts----Did the Caribbean Scenic Railway Tour and Caribbean Plantation and Beach, both were ship excursions and very enjoyable.

Also did the beach splash tour with Thenford Grey, another enjoyable tour. Mr. Grey has other tour options and his company is highly rated.

We also spent a day at Carambola Beach, a little more upscale beach, about 15 mins from the port. They have chairs, umbrellas, daybeds and cabanas to rent and a restaurant. Had lunch there, food was good, the water was calm, no rocks, so you didn't need water shoes, like we needed at Frigate Beach.

St. Lucia---Haven't been there yet, will be in November.

Barbados--It's been so long, don't remember what we did.

St. John Antigua----Did the Scenic Antigua & Beach tour, ship excursion which was good. Second time just walked around town, shopping, eating and gambling.

You picked a nice itinerary.

Anyone been zip lining on any of these islands? If so, which one do you recommend? Book through the cruise ship or on our own?

Thanks!

See my reply in post #8;) We booked Treetops on St. Lucia independently and really enjoyed it. They picked us up in an open air "jeep" for a nice trip to the ziplines which was a fun scenic ride of about 30-40 minutes. Our guide Lisa was terrific and rode in back and provided a lot of information about St. Lucia as we went. Just the three of us, but even if they booked more the vehicle would have only seated maybe 10 so a nice small group compared to ship booked excursions. The guys who operate the lines are a nice bunch of young men who made it so much fun. After the zipline Lisa took us on a hike nearby to a beautiful water fall in the forest where we swam in the pool under it, and fresh mangoes and coconut to enjoy. Then another nice drive back to the ship with rum punch :)

I think we paid 89, whatever it was I recall it was maybe 10.00 cheaper than the ship tours. TreeTops calls it the "triple adventure" on their website (Jeep ride, Zipline, Waterfall Hike). And the ship tours wouldn't include the hike to the waterfall or the much more personal service. We were the first ones there that morning and went out with the crew as they zipped to their stations at each platform.

Edited by bouhunter

Thanks bouhunter!

Whoa your zip lining experience sounds incredible! I'm really torn because it appears that doing a Cosol tour on St. Lucia is the way to go??? I was hoping another island had the exact same fabulous experience that you did.

I know what you're saying, St. Lucia is such a beautiful island it is nice to take more of an "island tour" on the first visit there.

In St. Lucia- it is important to do an organized tour and avoid aggressive vendors.

Almost every Caribbean Island has "aggressive vendors"........

We found that they were particularly pushy and would not take no as an answer the first and second times on St. Lucia. The only other place it bothered us as much was on Labadee in the one market area. On the beach in St. Lucia, someone making and selling jewelry approached us several times and kept coming back after we'd said no, thanks. Eventually he sat down on the end of one lady's lounger and began making a piece he said was for her, and he wouldn't leave until it was done and she bought it.

Gina, you have great port stops!:)

Here are things we've enjoyed doing in each of them:

St. Kitts -- Catamaran to Nevis

St. Lucia -- Catamaran to the Pitons

Barbados -- Catamaran to swim with the turtles

Antigua -- Catamaran that includes a long beach stop

LuLu

~~~

Here are some more suggestions and as others have said, a ton of information on the Caribbean boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

St. Kitts----Did the Caribbean Scenic Railway Tour and Caribbean Plantation and Beach, both were ship excursions and very enjoyable.

Also did the beach splash tour with Thenford Grey, another enjoyable tour. Mr. Grey has other tour options and his company is highly rated.

We also spent a day at Carambola Beach, a little more upscale beach, about 15 mins from the port. They have chairs, umbrellas, daybeds and cabanas to rent and a restaurant. Had lunch there, food was good, the water was calm, no rocks, so you didn't need water shoes, like we needed at Frigate Beach.

St. Lucia---Haven't been there yet, will be in November.

Barbados--It's been so long, don't remember what we did.

St. John Antigua----Did the Scenic Antigua & Beach tour, ship excursion which was good. Second time just walked around town, shopping, eating and gambling.

You picked a nice itinerary.

Do you happen to remember which beach the Scenic Antigua & Beach Tour took you to? That is the ship tour that we are thinking of taking as well.

Some more ideas things we have done

Antigua - Took a tour of the island saw sugar plantations and Devils Bridge and went to a beach for a couple hours

St Kitts- took a tour of the island and have gotten dropped of at a beach for a couple of hours have done this twice. In about 10 days my hubby and I are doing the 6hr Mt Liaumigia Hike with Poinciana Tours if you have anyone that is interested in that kind of thing. (look it up on tripadvisor) I'd be happy to answer any questions in a couple week if interested.

St Lucia- we have toured the island by taxi van got to see Twin Peaks, volcano and mud bath another trip we found a couple different guys offering a land sea combo for $65 pp (ship was $100) for a 3 1/2 hr tour. We did a fast boat ride for 45 mins. went slowly by a fishing village, saw the Pitons, George Foreman and Mike Jaguars vacation homes, then did a land tour up to the volcano and a warm waterfall. Went back to the boat and they took us to a black sand beach were you could snorkel if you wanted for 1 1/2 hrs. tour ended up lasting about 5 hours! This was our best excursion on this vacation!

Barbados- If you have your own snorkel gear you can have your taxi take you to the beach and you can swim out to see the sea turtles (where all the ships excursions end up) just be careful as boats are coming in and out.

We have also done a land tour and in 12 days are doing the Harrisons Cave through the ship as they have priority getting into the caves and the price I got quoted to have a tour guide take us seemed very expensive! Would normally just take the chance getting off the ship and doing on our own thing I didn't want to risk it as my DH wants to do it pretty bad for something different! Any questions feel free to ask.

Just remember a lot of these island you can get similar tours off the ship for a much better price and the more people you have you can bargain even more. When we have our 3 young adult children with us we usually get a way better price than by ourselves!

Edited by tidygirl

Hello!

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. John

Gina

Like others I would recommend Colsol's tour in St. Lucia. There were so many things to see and snorkeling between the Pitons was awesome.

St. Kitts. We did the Sky Safari Zip Line here and loved it. You zip over the rainforest. It has the new breaking system where you do not need to use your hands to break. It also has structures supported in concrete. I think all the zip lines are pretty safe, but my husband who is a civil engineer liked the construction details on this one the best. This one also involved less carrying of the gear as it was transported between all but one line in a truck. I do believe there are less lines in the St. Kitts zip than the St. Lucia one. In the port of call boards (either St. Lucia or St. Kitts, one poster gave very detailed comparisons of these 2 zip lines.

Barbados We went to. Harbor Lights on Carlsie Beach. We took our own snorkle gear and swam out to where the boats were bringing people to snorkel with the turtles. it was not too far. (We are in our 60's). You could also pay a boat $20 pp to take you to 2-3 shipwrecks and the turtles.