Getaway Haven Restaurant

guerchino

Well, the quality of the food varies. I've had the good fortune of staying in the Haven long enough to have tried all of the menu items. Here are some thoughts on the best and worst their menu has to offer.

For breakfast they use a high quality filet for the steak and eggs. I always order medium-rare, and the steak is always cooked perfectly. I highly recommend trying it. The Tahitian French toast, walnut butter pancakes, and waffles are all fantastic if you have a morning sweet-tooth. However, the Cagney's crab cakes benedict has been subpar lately. The crab cakes are so small and thin that you can barely see them underneath the eggs. No large chunks of delicious crab to be found either, just a pale paste that tastes vaguely fishy.

For lunch, all of the appetizers are boring but decent. The shrimp cocktail uses delicious jumbo shrimp. I used to love their turkey burgers with pineapple. However, the last time I ordered it the patty was unnaturally round, thin, and bland. Perhaps they've switched suppliers or had to substitute something for that cruise, but it's turned me off from turkey burgers for the time being. The swordfish burger is decent. If the chefs understood that swordfish ought to be lightly seared rather than fully cooked, it could be great. The steak and fries are good, so long as you can tolerate the mountain of low quality truffles the fries are covered in. My current favorite is the flounder milanese, which they do very well. The worst thing on the lunch menu is the pan seared scallops. They are not only pitifully tiny, but extremely bland too. For dessert, the carrot cake is unbelievably rich and sweet, and the banana cream pie is good too. The brownies and macadamia nut ice cream is somewhat disappointing. The brownie is fine, but the macadamia nut ice cream is awful. The ratio of macadamias to ice cream is so low that you're lucky to get two or three small nut fragments per serving. Perhaps I am biased since I am from a tropical island where macadamias are abundant and I've had the best, but I don't think you could really call this macadamia nut ice cream. Vanilla with caramel would be a more appropriate description.

For dinner, my favorite appetizers are the roasted beets and arugula and the crispy shrimp cake. Fortunately, the shrimp cake is substantially larger and better than the poor crab cakes they serve with breakfast. The only appetizer I would stay away from is the ahi poke. If you're familiar with good Hawaiian poke, this will undoubtedly disappoint. I ordered it hoping to get a taste of home, but I ended up with a taste of mediocrity instead. For entrees, I love the duck breast and roasted salmon. The duck is succulent and the salmon melts in your mouth. I also enjoy the mushroom ravioli. The beef and chicken entrees aren't bad, just not memorable. For dessert, my favorite is the warm pear and ginger crumble. Sweet, crunchy, and delicious. The coconut mango soufflé is also very good. I doubted that mango and coconut would be a good flavor combination, but I was happy to be proven wrong. The chocolate desserts are nice, but I personally prefer the fruity ones instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Could some of you who have stayed in the Haven on the Getaway comment on the restaurant food?

Thanks very much for your response.

We just got off the BA a couple weeks ago and would think the same as GA. The breakfast and lunch was exactly the same as we have had at the other ships in Cagneys. We only ate dinner there once and it was great. Wish we had gone earlier in the cruise as our dinner at Cagneys the night before was crappy.

The last morning the one thing that was different is they didn't have the buffet spread set up like other days.

Well, the quality of the food varies. I've had the good fortune of staying in the Haven long enough to have tried all of the menu items. Here are some thoughts on the best and worst their menu has to offer.

For breakfast they use a high quality filet for the steak and eggs. I always order medium-rare, and the steak is always cooked perfectly. I highly recommend trying it. The Tahitian French toast, walnut butter pancakes, and waffles are all fantastic if you have a morning sweet-tooth. However, the Cagney's crab cakes benedict has been subpar lately. The crab cakes are so small and thin that you can barely see them underneath the eggs. No large chunks of delicious crab to be found either, just a pale paste that tastes vaguely fishy.

For lunch, all of the appetizers are boring but decent. The shrimp cocktail uses delicious jumbo shrimp. I used to love their turkey burgers with pineapple. However, the last time I ordered it the patty was unnaturally round, thin, and bland. Perhaps they've switched suppliers or had to substitute something for that cruise, but it's turned me off from turkey burgers for the time being. The swordfish burger is decent. If the chefs understood that swordfish ought to be lightly seared rather than fully cooked, it could be great. The steak and fries are good, so long as you can tolerate the mountain of low quality truffles the fries are covered in. My current favorite is the flounder milanese, which they do very well. The worst thing on the lunch menu is the pan seared scallops. They are not only pitifully tiny, but extremely bland too. For dessert, the carrot cake is unbelievably rich and sweet, and the banana cream pie is good too. The brownies and macadamia nut ice cream is somewhat disappointing. The brownie is fine, but the macadamia nut ice cream is awful. The ratio of macadamias to ice cream is so low that you're lucky to get two or three small nut fragments per serving. Perhaps I am biased since I am from a tropical island where macadamias are abundant and I've had the best, but I don't think you could really call this macadamia nut ice cream. Vanilla with caramel would be a more appropriate description.

For dinner, my favorite appetizers are the roasted beets and arugula and the crispy shrimp cake. Fortunately, the shrimp cake is substantially larger and better than the poor crab cakes they serve with breakfast. The only appetizer I would stay away from is the ahi poke. If you're familiar with good Hawaiian poke, this will undoubtedly disappoint. I ordered it hoping to get a taste of home, but I ended up with a taste of mediocrity instead. For entrees, I love the duck breast and roasted salmon. The duck is succulent and the salmon melts in your mouth. I also enjoy the mushroom ravioli. The beef and chicken entrees aren't bad, just not memorable. For dessert, my favorite is the warm pear and ginger crumble. Sweet, crunchy, and delicious. The coconut mango soufflé is also very good. I doubted that mango and coconut would be a good flavor combination, but I was happy to be proven wrong. The chocolate desserts are nice, but I personally prefer the fruity ones instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

True!!

On the Breakaway DH was having trouble deciding between the steak and eggs or eggs benedict one morning. The waiter suggested the eggs benedict with the steak "on the side".

Well...needless to say - that is now DH's new favorite! ;) :D

OP - between the Epic and the Breakaway - we too have tried almost everything on the Haven menu for breakfast and dinner. Have done lunch there once or twice - only because there are SO many other choices including the Haven grill menu.

We have found most of the meals very good to outstanding (especially the breakfasts) - and the service and atmosphere is what makes it spectacular! I do not think you will be disappointed unless it will bother you that the menu stays the same all week. ;)

Yum...definitely one of my favorites! ;) :D

I think it was the best meal of the trip. I had 2 servings it was so good. Then I asked the waitress for one more (as a joke) and we all laughed.

I am not even crazy about ravioli but it was the best ever!

I think it was the best meal of the trip. I had 2 servings it was so good. Then I asked the waitress for one more (as a joke) and we all laughed.

I am not even crazy about ravioli but it was the best ever!

Ravioli is not something I typically order - so maybe that's why it's a "treat"??? :confused: Whatever....I just know it is something I look forward to ordering! ;)

Edited by happy cruzin

True!!

On the Breakaway DH was having trouble deciding between the steak and eggs or eggs benedict one morning. The waiter suggested the eggs benedict with the steak "on the side".

Well...needless to say - that is now DH's new favorite! ;) :D

OP - between the Epic and the Breakaway - we too have tried almost everything on the Haven menu for breakfast and dinner. Have done lunch there once or twice - only because there are SO many other choices including the Haven grill menu.

We have found most of the meals very good to outstanding (especially the breakfasts) - and the service and atmosphere is what makes it spectacular! I do not think you will be disappointed unless it will bother you that the menu stays the same all week. ;)

While the breakfast steak was tasty on the BA a couple weeks ago, it was about half as thick as what they used to serve (or what we were used to seeing) when we last sailed on NCL in 2012 and prior. That is what we would do - order whatever mix/match you wanted plus the steak.

Edited by dexddd