Panama Cruise/Partial or Full Crossing?

Saskriders

On ships the size of the Zuiderdam the Canal the toll charges is $134 per passenger berth. As long as there at least one paying passenger on the ship, the 134 figure is applied to the total number of passenger berths. If for some reason there are no paying passengers on board then the toll drops to the rock bottom price of $108 per passenger berth!

As for a ship such as the Z'dam only going into one set of locks, turning around and exiting the same set of locks... no special consideration in the tolls at all. The Canal's policy is, they lifted you from one ocean... you can go back to the same ocean if you choose. Actually the reasoning for that is the fact that while you did not go from one ocean to another, it still took the same amount of fresh water to accomplish the "partial" transit as it would for a full transit.

I am just repeating what the captain told us. That was over 4 years ago though.

I am just repeating what the captain told us. That was over 4 years ago though.

I was just giving you the actual toll figure the Canal charges for FYI. The $248 that the captain stated could very well have been an accurate figure for what the ship paid spread over the number of passengers that were on board for that particular transit. Even though most ships do not have a paying passenger in every single passenger berth, the ship still is charged at that rate (the 134) for all passenger berths. The Canal also doesn't include a number of other fees in the actual toll, the problem is there is not anyway to avoid the additional fees so realistically they can be added to the tolls even though the fees are not technically part of the toll.

Here are a few examples;

Reservation for a certain day: $35000

Tug Services: 11000

Wire Charge: 4800 ($300/wire x 16 wires, 2 wires from each mule)

If you would like the Canal to provide for narration, pass the hat for another $400!

Cruise lines generally lump the Canal charges in Tax and Fee portion of your fare. As a result the taxes and fees for a Canal cruise often times are at least double that of an equal length cruise that did not include a Canal transit.

We are booked on a Carnival cruise full transit this summer. Really glad to find an August one!

I know Carnival is cheap but our PC cruise with them cost hundreds less then the same amount of days around the Med with other lines (we are paying £80 pp per night which is amazing).So if you shop around a PC cruise can be a bargain, especially if its a re positioning cruise.

The other reason we booked it is the ports on PC cruises look amazing...Costa Rica and Columbia are just for starters.

Edited by Velvetwater

We are booked on a Carnival cruise full transit this summer. Really glad to find an August one!

I know Carnival is cheap but our PC cruise with them cost hundreds less then the same amount of days around the Med with other lines (we are paying £80 pp per night which is amazing).So if you shop around a PC cruise can be a bargain, especially if its a re positioning cruise.

The other reason we booked it is the ports on PC cruises look amazing...Costa Rica and Columbia are just for starters.

If you like the heat & humidity you will love the cruise ;)

Pack your rain jacket as well

If you like the heat & humidity you will love the cruise ;)

Pack your rain jacket as well

I suffer from British skin but heat is fine as is rain obviously. We have to holiday in August due to work.

Hottest I have had is 35 and Columbia is supposed to be 40 as a record high so I will see how I go. :)

Edited by Velvetwater

I suffer from British skin but heat is fine as is rain obviously. We have to holiday in August due to work.

Hottest I have had is 35 and Columbia is supposed to be 40 as a record high so I will see how I go. :)

Sunscreen & drink lots of water

I find it is the humidity that kills me ;)

It is a great trip otherwise we have done it 3 times but in Jan Feb & March

Enjoy

Lyn

It is close to the equator as you are almost to the South American continent there-so my guess is it does not differ much year round-so if you can only go in August I doubt it is much different than January.

We did the partial on HAL. It gives a good idea of how the canal works. We are thinking of doing a full, but have enough other long itineraries which take precedence for the time being. Living in the East, the partial from Florida means much easier and less expensive pre- and post-cruise flights. We'll probably combine the full when we will spend some time on the West coast either before or after the cruise.

We did the partial on HAL. It gives a good idea of how the canal works. We are thinking of doing a full, but have enough other long itineraries which take precedence for the time being. Living in the East, the partial from Florida means much easier and less expensive pre- and post-cruise flights. We'll probably combine the full when we will spend some time on the West coast either before or after the cruise.

We're in the exact same situation. I've been putting off doing the partial because of that. Did you enjoy the partial when you did that?

Is it true that you can take a shore excursion that gives you an experience similar to the full? :confused:

We're in the exact same situation. I've been putting off doing the partial because of that. Did you enjoy the partial when you did that?

Is it true that you can take a shore excursion that gives you an experience similar to the full? :confused:

With us it is the time it takes as I would want to spend at least some time in CA either pre or post cruise. We plan that trip for after hubby retires as he can't take 3 weeks at once. The HAL cruise gave us a nice taste of the canal. We stayed on ship to experience it from the ship.

If we go there again we would be fine with Celebrity to the beginning of the canal as we have experienced the canal from ship. We would book the boat through the canal and if the train across land back. I am just afraid we would want to do a full transit even more. Hubby is still almost 9 years from retirement.

Yes, while the ship is anchored in Gatun Lake you can take a small boat through the remaining locks to the Pacific - then, I believe you take a train or bus back to rejoin the ship - this was the arrangement in 2009 - you might want to verify.

It is close to the equator as you are almost to the South American continent there-so my guess is it does not differ much year round-so if you can only go in August I doubt it is much different than January.

You're right, the temperature doesn't vary much throughout the the year. Honestly your choosing January is actually one of the best times for weather in Panama. The rains are not generally an issue since the Dry Season is usually well established by then. The Dry Season brings slightly warmer daytime temps but the humidity is about is good as it ever is going to get. Plus the Dry Season usually provides a pleasant breeze.

The August time frame will bring more partly cloudy to cloudy skies and slightly lower daytime temps. The downside is it is a bit more humid and less breezy, sometimes it can be rather still. The other negative is August is in the middle of the Rainy Season. Even in the Rainy Season, the rains tend to be the passing shower variety and not the all day gully washer. To velvetwater, don't let the "negatives" chase you off for the August date as they are only minor considerations... go and enjoy.

All the cruise lines that offer partial transit cruises that I have seen, also offer the shore excursion which takes you to the Pacific side where you pass through the two Pacific Locks and transit the Gaillard Cut. All of the cruise lines have their own name for this shorex, essentially it is a partial transit of the Canal on the Pacific side. When you combine your partial transit cruise which takes you through the Atlantic Locks into Gatun Lake and then take the partial transit shore excursion, that will give you an excellent view of the Canal. While it is not a complete transit of the Canal it certainly is a great alternative if you don't have the time do a full transit cruise.

There actually is one benefit in seeing the Canal this way. It is a great way to see the locks in operation from your Panamax cruise ship at the Atlantic Locks in the morning and then see the operation from the smaller "ferry" when you lock through the Pacific Locks later that day. Gives you a totally different perspective from the standpoint of the two vessels.

Taking a partial transit cruise first and then a full transit cruise at a later date, will not diminish the full transit when you decide to go. In fact I believe they compliment one another.

Edited by BillB48

Is this the excursion we would be looking at then (if we sail on Princess)?

Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat

PC1-615 | Panama Canal, Panama (Gatun Lake)

Experience the full wonder of the Panama Canal with a crossing of the canal by tour boat on this daylong adventure. This is the only tour that enables you to experience the other two sets of locks that control ship traffic and cruise through "The Cut." Sail across Miraflores Lake to the Miraflores Locks and enjoy a light lunch during your scenic cruise.

Is this the excursion we would be looking at then (if we sail on Princess)?

Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat

PC1-615 | Panama Canal, Panama (Gatun Lake)

Experience the full wonder of the Panama Canal with a crossing of the canal by tour boat on this daylong adventure. This is the only tour that enables you to experience the other two sets of locks that control ship traffic and cruise through "The Cut." Sail across Miraflores Lake to the Miraflores Locks and enjoy a light lunch during your scenic cruise.

That would be the one! Just so you will know, in Princess's description they have the tour starting in Gamboa, through the Cut, the two locks and ending in the Pacific. Many times the tour is run in reverse order, just all depends on the Canal traffic and where the "ferry" needs to wind up after the excursion. Either direction you ultimately wind up going is great.

when we were on Zuiderdam they said it worked out to a tax of $248 per passenger and that was only halfway and back to east coast.

I know some lines only go to the port near the Panama canal because of that. Hubby and I have discussed doing one of them and then taking the smaller boat through the locks and the train ride back to save money. I am just afraid we wouldn't be satisfied and it would be better to spend the extra. I have come to the point that I am willing to wait longer between cruises and take a better cruise less often than to keep doing Caribbean cruises we have done before.

We were on a partial transit and took the ship excursion's small boat through the Canal, and then a bus back to the ship. There were plusses and minuses to the small boat trip.

Plus:

You get very close to the locks -- literally within touching distance of the walls, and you see the construction, weathering, bumps and bruises, etc. of the original canal. (Of course, this may also be possible on the Promenade deck on your ship...)

You experience the size of the locks pretty well because you are in a small boat in a big lock (rather than in a boat that dwarfs the lock.)

You can quickly and easily walk around to the other side of the boat, or go from bow to stern, for different perspectives and photo ops. Getting from one side or end of a ship to another can take a while!

There is a running commentary (history of the canal, mostly) on the small boat. (There may be this as well on the ship -- don't know -- but those who have done the ship's full transit can tell you.)

Our boat was closely followed by numerous sea birds, which I enjoyed watching and photographing. (This may also occur with ships...?)

The bus (or train) ride back to your ship will give you views of the country, people, homes, etc. you will not get from the Canal.

Minus:

The small boat can be crowded, and not all seats are protected from sun or rain. Not all seats are created equal as regards views and photography. Folks are in their own world and will not pay much attention to how (or whether) other pax can see, take unobstructed pictures, etc. There can be a fair amount of jostling and jockeying for position.

The running commentary referred to in the "plus" column, though interesting, can become annoying as it never stops (at least it did not on our boat), and the info becomes repetitive. You can't get away from it. We had heard pretty much the same info on the bus from the ship to the boat, and then the tour guide talked pretty much all the way back to the ship on the bus when we got off the boat. There was virtually no moment of peace and quiet to enjoy the experience in one's own head, which is something I value.

The included-in-the-fare food and beverages on board the boat are not the quality you will get on your ship.

You will pay extra for the boat trip, whereas the ship's full transit is part of your cruise fare.

I am sure others who have done the boat trip will share their views. These are mine. I want to do a full ship transit someday, when time and money permit, but meanwhile, I am glad I did the boat transit, at least.

We were on a partial transit and took the ship excursion's small boat through the Canal, and then a bus back to the ship. There were plusses and minuses to the small boat trip.

Plus:

You get very close to the locks -- literally within touching distance of the walls, and you see the construction, weathering, bumps and bruises, etc. of the original canal. (Of course, this may also be possible on the Promenade deck on your ship...)

You experience the size of the locks pretty well because you are in a small boat in a big lock (rather than in a boat that dwarfs the lock.)

You can quickly and easily walk around to the other side of the boat, or go from bow to stern, for different perspectives and photo ops. Getting from one side or end of a ship to another can take a while!

There is a running commentary (history of the canal, mostly) on the small boat. (There may be this as well on the ship -- don't know -- but those who have done the ship's full transit can tell you.)

Our boat was closely followed by numerous sea birds, which I enjoyed watching and photographing. (This may also occur with ships...?)

The bus (or train) ride back to your ship will give you views of the country, people, homes, etc. you will not get from the Canal.

Minus:

The small boat can be crowded, and not all seats are protected from sun or rain. Not all seats are created equal as regards views and photography. Folks are in their own world and will not pay much attention to how (or whether) other pax can see, take unobstructed pictures, etc. There can be a fair amount of jostling and jockeying for position.

The running commentary referred to in the "plus" column, though interesting, can become annoying as it never stops (at least it did not on our boat), and the info becomes repetitive. You can't get away from it. We had heard pretty much the same info on the bus from the ship to the boat, and then the tour guide talked pretty much all the way back to the ship on the bus when we got off the boat. There was virtually no moment of peace and quiet to enjoy the experience in one's own head, which is something I value.

The included-in-the-fare food and beverages on board the boat are not the quality you will get on your ship.

You will pay extra for the boat trip, whereas the ship's full transit is part of your cruise fare.

I am sure others who have done the boat trip will share their views. These are mine. I want to do a full ship transit someday, when time and money permit, but meanwhile, I am glad I did the boat transit, at least.

Well maybe we will go again before hubby retires. Celebrity only goes to Colon but you can take the excursion from there. We did get to see the first set of locks from the Zuiderdam so I think I would be willing to do Celebrity next time. and then in 10 years the full canal hopefully after hubby retires.