New Camera

dljones

So, just for the sake of argument, what would you all recommend in terms of a point and shoot camera? I do want to shoot videos with decent resolution and good sound quality (at least as good as it gets). Any suggestions?

Panasonic FZ-200 [aka Leica V-Lux 3] with accessory microphone [Panasonic DMW-MS1]

This will get you started to narrow the field. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html

I wish I could give you the simple answer such as buy this or that. Canon and Panasonic are fairly safe choices for P&S. Both will take nice pictures. Do not get caught up in the megapixel myth. More does not equal better. For example the difference between 16 and 20 megapixels is the size of hardcopy print possible not a better picture.

For video all cameras will boast "HD" but that is an aspect ratio not frame size. You want to look for 1920 x 1080 at 30 frames per second in the specs.

If you can try the out what I really recommend is seeing if you can live with the cycle time between pictures. In other words take a picture and see how fast you can take the next. Some cameras can take a couple of seconds to write the pic to memory the refocus and be ready to take the next. This can truly be frustrating and where DSLRs have the advantage.

Don't fall for the gizmo effects. You don't need 87 built in filter effects to make a picture look like old time Wild West. No to auto upload Picasso or crackbook...oh...sorry...Facebook...unless that's your thing then go for it. Kinda useless at sea or in another country.

If I were going to buy a new P&S I may include gps. Nice to know where you were when taking that picture. I take 1000 to 1600 when on vacation and my memory isn't that good.

Buy what suits what you need...and what suits your $. The add on the bells and whistles.

No matter your choice just have fun. Take lots of pictures. Kneel down. Get up a foot or two. Don't pose people. Let the camera be a participant sometimes.

I hope this helps a bit. Have fun.

I kindly and respectfully disagree. For vacation happy snaps in bright sun...sure...a kit lens will do well. Those slower kit lenses will show you get what you pay for when out of the bright sun such as inside museums or restaurants.

I'm not saying do or do not buy. I'm passing on what I've learned so the OP can make an informed decision to best suit them.

But isn't that the joy of photography. If I'm lucky that someone likes one of my shots I have 1000 other bad ones I learned by.

We don't disagree at all -- I said most lighting situations. Dark museums and restaurants, much better off with a fast lens.

Good outdoor lighting, you can get very good results with a kit lens. (As a bit of a perfectionist, I usually always prefer a better lens. But I'll admit that not even I can always tell the difference in the final product).

Indoors in flash situations, again the kit lens will do as well as a fast lens. ( though much better if you learn to properly bounce an external flash for indirect light. )

Night tripod situations, again the kit lens will do just fine.

And even in those more challenging situations -- if you keep your kit lens wide, the maximum aperture is usually 3.5. Not that far off from the 2.8 of advanced zoom lenses. So even in those situations, you're not necessarily that much better off with the better lens. (For real challenging situations, even a 2.8 zoom won't really do... Need a 1.4/1.8 prime).

This will get you started to narrow the field. http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html

Buy what suits what you need...and what suits your $. The add on the bells and whistles.

No matter your choice just have fun. Take lots of pictures. Kneel down. Get up a foot or two. Don't pose people. Let the camera be a participant sometimes.

I hope this helps a bit. Have fun.

Thanks for the suggestions one and all. Interesting about the megapixel thing. I had no idea. Basically... I want something that takes good pictures and video with decent sound. I know it won't be like a Hollywood movie production but something better than say a flip camera... :>

Edited by dljones

Interesting about the megapixel thing. I had no idea. Basically... I want something that takes good pictures and video with decent sound. I know it won't be like a Hollywood movie production but something better than say a flip camera... :>

I have a 20"x30" print of the Seattle Space Needle from a 10 megapixel camera and I swear you can't tell that it's digital. Others more critical than me (apparently there are one or two of those somewhere) do claim they can tell, but who cares. My wife's new camera is 22mp but mine is 18mp, and I could care less about those 4mp. It really only matters if you decide to crop a modest amount of border.

If you want video, I still say don't get a DSLR. You at least want electric zoom and I'm convinced that only a select few can do modest autofocus while shooting video. To do it well, you need to spend a fortune in "carrying gear" and audio gear (the onboard mic is always dreadful).

I have a 20"x30" print of the Seattle Space Needle from a 10 megapixel camera and I swear you can't tell that it's digital. Others more critical than me (apparently there are one or two of those somewhere) do claim they can tell, but who cares. My wife's new camera is 22mp but mine is 18mp, and I could care less about those 4mp. It really only matters if you decide to crop a modest amount of border.

If you want video, I still say don't get a DSLR. You at least want electric zoom and I'm convinced that only a select few can do modest autofocus while shooting video. To do it well, you need to spend a fortune in "carrying gear" and audio gear (the onboard mic is always dreadful).

I'm not a fan of electric zoom.

As to full video autofocus... The newer Canons with correct lenses, and all the current Sony dslrs, (a58, a77, a65) have full autofocus in video.

Though I kind of like the control of manual focus in video.

Anyone have any ideas for a compact point and shoot with a superzoom?

I have a DSLR (and all the heavy lenses), but find for a lot of my photos, I use a camera that can fit into my pocket or purse. My old Canon Elph has had it.

Any thoughts on the Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-WX300 - I saw a good deal on this for about $299?

Anyone have any ideas for a compact point and shoot with a superzoom?

I have a DSLR (and all the heavy lenses), but find for a lot of my photos, I use a camera that can fit into my pocket or purse. My old Canon Elph has had it.

Any thoughts on the Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-WX300 - I saw a good deal on this for about $299?

oops - just read the link for Steves best cameras http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html - Thanks - this is a suggested model,

but it looks like I need to do my shopping in the US. LOL