Carnival Fantasy

qbren2u

We are considering this cruise out of Charleston this summer. It will be myself, DH, 3 kids (15, 13, 11) and my parents. I am wondering if we will regret not being on a larger ship? What do you think? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I absolutely loved Fantasy. She was my first ship out of New Orleans and we sailed her three times. She was a perfect size for us. The Elation is very similar except for decor, I think.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3

We just sailed on her on March 15th. She was the smallest ship we have been on. We thought maybe we would notice more movement in her in rough seas but we did not. The cons of her size was actually the main Shows only had 8-10 people in them. The bigger ships have a larger staff(we enjoy large Vegas style shows.) The pros were that you could get around the ship faster. We chose the Fantasy because she sailed out of Charleston where our daughter lives(free room and board and free taxi service to the ship.) Although we enjoyed the Fantasy, we prefer ships the size of Conquest or Miracle.

I wouldn't book the Fantasy unless it was my only financially viable option.

She sails from one of my closest port of embarkation which make her very ideal, but she's 24 years old, and the itineraries are mediocre. She does command a very loyal clientele though who appreciate her convenience and who truly enjoy these older and smaller Fantasy class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are considering this cruise out of Charleston this summer. It will be myself, DH, 3 kids (15, 13, 11) and my parents. I am wondering if we will regret not being on a larger ship? What do you think? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Fantasy next month. We love the smaller ships and it's an easy drive from TN to Charleston.

I have never sailed on the Fantasy or sailed out of Charleston but I am looking forward to it. We chose one of the few 7 day cruises she makes.

It always gets reviews on staff and service. I know it's an older ship but being an older adult that I am, I don't think that matters. I still have a lot of life in me and maybe the Fantasy does too.

I know the amenities may be limited but I don't cruise for them. I like being out to sea and traveling anywhere. It's all about a matter of choice. I will post an honest review in June when we get back.

I absolutely loved Fantasy. She was my first ship out of New Orleans and we sailed her three times. She was a perfect size for us. The Elation is very similar except for decor, I think.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3

AGREED> We love Fantasy too. Sailed her twice. Again, the perfect size. She is small compared to the mega liners but offers a feel of being less crowded. My children (17 & 22) have always enjoyed sailing her and have never once cmplained about activities. You will enjoy. The most negative thing about the entire experience was the port terminal.

Personally, I really like the Fantasy because she is smaller. She may be old, but it's still a good ship, same entertainment, and same great food as the larger ones. The only downside for me is the ports of call. Nassau and Freeport are not my favorite places to visit, but again, that's my opinion...other people love those ports. We, too, have an easy drive to Charleston from Charlotte and have no complaints with the terminal. It's always been quick and easy for us.

We book the Fantasy when we need a short get away and actually have booked it for September. Instead of Freeport, it's going to Coco Cay which we've been to years ago on the Fantasy and I'm looking forward to being there again. Old and small are not necessarily bad things.

Edited by Terre

We just got back from the Fantasy, as noted elsewhere, the port is confusing. The lifejacket drill was ridiculous and over 40 minutes long. Food was just food although I could not get the server to understand I did not want a whole second meal with veggies swimming all over the plate. Actually embarking and disembarkation was great. Cabin u-144 was normal except the weird odor from 10pm til 11 pm. All in all, a relaxing cruise which was what we wanted.

I've sailed out of Charleston on Norwegian Majesty, and while it is almost comical how you have to get in line and go around to park, it's not as bad as, say, driving in NY to either terminal there.

I am sailing Fantasy because I want I sail on her before she is sold, just like I did with Majesty, and because I loved Elation. I've been on much bigger ships but I don't like the big ships and I don't go to the shows, anyway.

I'm also on Fantasy instead of Splendor, my previous plan, because I got a seven and five day B2B, one leg of that in a suite, for less than one cruise on Splendor. I'm in Buffalo, it's a 12 hour drive, but we'll stay in a Charleston hotel with a cruise/park offering the night before.

I've tried and tried to be a gourmand but the truth is, as long as it's good and I don't have to cook it or clean up after it, I'm a happy woman. Nothing beats having the family there and just relaxing and getting served. My kids (now kid) never go in the pool so I'm not worried about the size of the pool. A few trips down the slide and that's it, off with the teen club.

The ports are terrible, no way to sugar coat two trips to Nassau for sure, but it's better than Port Canaveral and hey, there's always the beach.

And throughout it all is the knowledge that I am saving thousands! Can't wait.

I love the Fantasy. My kids' first cruise was on the Fantasy (they were 12, 13, and 15 at the time). They loved it! As a matter of fact, we went on the Disney Dream the following summer, and although they enjoyed that cruise, they said they preferred the Carnival Fantasy because it was smaller and they liked the staff at the teen clubs better.