RCCL Insurance or someone else?

Look at InsuremyTrip dot com.

When I sailed with my mother I always bought insurance through RCL because of her age and the fact that we were driving to the port. When I started cruising solo on more "exotic" cruises that involved flying and pre and post cruise days, I started insuring the full trip from the time I left to the time I returned.

Unfortunately I had to use the insurance in Jan and it was good I covered the entire trip. Precruise I slipped on ice at my daughter's and badly bruised my back. Cruise had to be cancelled because I could barely move for several days let alone fly from Oregon to NJ in time for the cruise. Insurance was great - they did all the travel arrangements to get me back to Boston. The good news was that I missed the Explorer norovirus cruise from hell.

Look at InsuremyTrip dot com.

When I sailed with my mother I always bought insurance through RCL because of her age and the fact that we were driving to the port. When I started cruising solo on more "exotic" cruises that involved flying and pre and post cruise days, I started insuring the full trip from the time I left to the time I returned.

Unfortunately I had to use the insurance in Jan and it was good I covered the entire trip. Precruise I slipped on ice at my daughter's and badly bruised my back. Cruise had to be cancelled because I could barely move for several days let alone fly from Oregon to NJ in time for the cruise. Insurance was great - they did all the travel arrangements to get me back to Boston. The good news was that I missed the Explorer norovirus cruise from hell.

FYI RCI insurance does cover independently booked air.

The "third-party" policies are generally lower priced (especially the younger you are) and higher coverages than the cruiseline policies. The medical and evacuation coverage offered by the cruiseline policies is IMO too low and the cruiseline policy does not have "waiver of pre-existing conditions". The cruiseline policy does include "Cancel for any Reason" coverage which is usually an added 50% premium with most 3rd party policies. [To get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" and to be able to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" with 3rd party policies, you have to purchase Policy w/in 14-21 days of cruise booking, depending on the insurer.]

If you're a USAA member, their TravelInsured policies are a bit less expensive and include some higher coverages.

Compare the different policies for coverages that apply to your situation; there are policies that insure kids free with adults, that cover unexpected school year extension, that cover (sometimes optionally) cancellation for business reasons, etc., etc.

Be sure to check your Health Insurance for "out of country" coverage and your credit card for (usually minimal) Trip Cancellation and Luggage coverages.

ken

Edited by Ken076

So RCCL/RCI does cover for any reason? So if my wife becomes pregnant (you cant be more than 24 weeks with RCCL) then we could cancel for that reason and receive our money back?

If you are in North America, you can cancel at 24 weeks before the cruise and receive a full refund, no insurance necessary.

Be sure to check "how much" they cover. The "cancel for any reason" portion of most insurance policies, pays you a percentage of the fare, not the full amount, often 75% or less. Lots of fine print to read.

Found this on the Royal Caribbean web page:

"Waives the non-refundable cancellation penalties and refunds 100% in-cash if you need to cancel for a specified reason

Provides a 75% future cruise credit if you need to cancel for any other reason."

I couldn't find anything that lists the "specified reasons" that they accept, versus what would be considered "any other reason".

Edited by Gayle V

Q: What if my flight is delayed? s.gif A: If you miss the departure of your trip due to carrier-caused delays or other covered reasons, CruiseCare® package of benefits reimburses you for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses. Otherwise, you are responsible for any expense incurred to meet the ship at its next port of call. For this reason, many guests find it is easiest to arrive a day prior to sailing and stay in a hotel the night before to avoid any possible delays. We offer pre-cruise packages at resort hotels near the port where you board. You can also extend your vacation by booking a post-cruise hotel package. s.gif

The "third-party" policies are generally lower priced (especially the younger you are) and higher coverages than the cruiseline policies. The medical and evacuation coverage offered by the cruiseline policies is IMO too low and the cruiseline policy does not have "waiver of pre-existing conditions". The cruiseline policy does include "Cancel for any Reason" coverage which is usually an added 50% premium with most 3rd party policies. [To get "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" and to be able to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" with 3rd party policies, you have to purchase Policy w/in 14-21 days of cruise booking, depending on the insurer.]

We've used both RCI and 3rd party insurance....agree with your assessments.

So RCCL/RCI does cover for any reason? So if my wife becomes pregnant (you cant be more than 24 weeks with RCCL) then we could cancel for that reason and receive our money back?

To clarify - without any insurance you can cancel up to about 70 days (specifics are in the Cruise contract) from sailaway, without penalty.

Cancel for any Reason is only useful for cancellations within that ~70 days before sailaway. Note that the RCCL Cancel for Any Reason only refunds you a 75% future cruise CREDIT, whereas the 3rd Party Cancel for Any Reason option usually refunds about 80% "cash" but this amount varies widely between policies -- you have to carefuly read the Cancel for Any Reason coverage in choosing this option in a 3rd party Policy.

ken

Edited by Ken076

FYI RCI insurance does cover independently booked air.

????:confused:

What don't you understand?

FYI is a common abbreviation of "For Your Information"

RCI is a abbreviation of "Royal Caribbean International".

Edited by FLACRUISER99

What don't you understand?

FYI is a common abbreviation of "For Your Information"

RCI is a abbreviation of "Royal Caribbean International".

Boy my eyes are getting bad! Sorry I misread totally. It does cover independently booked air.

Royal Caribbean® CruiseCare Package of Benefits:

The CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver Program

waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise ticket contract and

pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the

event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation

(for specified reasons). In addition, should you or your traveling companion need

to cancel your cruise for “any other reason”, you may be eligible for Cruise Credits.

Brought to you by Royal Caribbean International

®*

The CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program

provides coverage for independently booked air, accident and sickness medical

benefits, evacuation, baggage protection and much more.

Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company

The CruiseCare Worldwide Emergency Assistance Program

provides 24-hour assistance services, including: pre-trip health, safety and weather

information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency

cash transfer assistance; medical consultation and monitoring; emergency legal

assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document

assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.

Provided by On Call International

Edited by steveru621
Correction

Boy my eyes are getting bad! Sorry I misread totally. It does cover independently booked air.

Royal Caribbean® CruiseCare Package of Benefits:

The CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver Program

waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise ticket contract and

pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the

event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation

(for specified reasons). In addition, should you or your traveling companion need

to cancel your cruise for “any other reason”, you may be eligible for Cruise Credits.

Brought to you by Royal Caribbean International

®*

The CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program

provides coverage for independently booked air, accident and sickness medical

benefits, evacuation, baggage protection and much more.

Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company

The CruiseCare Worldwide Emergency Assistance Program

provides 24-hour assistance services, including: pre-trip health, safety and weather

information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency

cash transfer assistance; medical consultation and monitoring; emergency legal

assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document

assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance.

Provided by On Call International

No problem I was confused why you were confused.:confused: