Another dress code question

Hi. We have only sailed Disney in the past, & they have 1 formal and 1 semi- formal night. The rest ( for the main dining rooms) are cruise casual. On those nights nice men's shorts and polos or Hawaiian type shirts were ok. I also have some "dressy" capris that were ok. Is this not the case on RCI? I'm reading alot of conflicting reports. For the formal nights my husband does have jacket & tie. We will be on the Adventure, if that makes a difference. Thanks

You will get many conflicting answers on this as well, with what is allowed and what not and what other People have seen or come away with themselves.

Fact from the cruiseline is, while they don´t have much of a Dress code onboard These days, up to this Point there is one Thing clearly spelled out and that´s "No Shorts allowed at dinner in the MDR"

If it´s enforced or not is a different matter, though IMO I say if you say it enforce it, if you don´t want to eliminate the signs.

The only definitive answer is that the dress code is "a suggestion". The reason there is so many conflicting reports is because everyone is different and interpret the "suggestion" differently.

As long as you are not in bathing suits or that sort of thing you can go into the MDR (I think there are a couple more definite NO NOs, but I am sure some one will clarify the exact rules! Shorts may be in that bracket!).

I personally love being able to dress up when on holiday and I will be that person wearing smart clothes every evening (and a dress on the formal evening) as it is a treat for me. I would not turn up to a posh restaurant (which is what MDR is!) in casual shorts and t-shirt....but that is personal preference.

I personally think that there are more casual options like the Windjammer if you don't want to get dressed up. :rolleyes:

However I would like to add though, that I am not one of those cruisers that will shake my head and tut at those that do decide to go casual.

What others wear does not affect my meal, I wear what I like to wear...it's just that I like to wear (and feel comfortable in) smart clothes :D

Edited by jc24cruiser

If you go by the suggested dress you'll be fine, of course. But reality, the only thing they really don't want is shorts at dinner. You'll likely see everything from t-shirts and jeans to Tuxes on Formal Night. It seems fewer and fewer are really dressing anywhere near the suggestion. Smart Casual (Semi-Formal) is about dead. I am a "hold out," and even I have stopped. Sometimes I'll wear a jacket and no tie or sometimes a tie and no jacket. But most have stopped dressing "Smart Casual." Formal, I still wear a Tux as we just like doing it. I have owned one for years and it's as easy to pack as anything else, and my only chance to wear it. But I usually just wear it with a long tie, as that is the newer style. No vest or cumberbun. Really a jacket and tie will certainly be completely appropriate for Formal night. No need to get a tux or suit unless you want. You'll find many dressed in just a shirt and pants, and, as I said, some in t-shirt and jeans.

But if you are concerned, take the jacket and tie and you will not feel at all out of place.

In recent years, we've certainly changed the way we dress for dinner. On formal night we've gone from the long gowns to the short cocktail dress to dress slacks with a sparkly top. The men still wear a suit on formal night. I honestly can't tell the difference in smart casual and casual nights. Part of the reason is packing and flying. It's not just the airline charges for baggage. It's also the fact that packing light is so much easier and more convenient.

I wouldn't wear shorts, only because you are specifically asked not to. It is published each day (or at least has been on our cruises) in the Compass. Plus, sometimes there is a sign at the entrance advising that shorts are prohibited.

That said, if you decide to wear shorts any way, I doubt that you will be refused entry.

I doubt it will be too long before the wording is removed and shorts are no longer "prohibited".

We got off the Freedom last Sunday and on every night we saw shorts in the dining room, ratty looking clothes of all types, etc. We even saw a man in a tank top in the dining room...ugh!

There is a sign at the entrance saying no shorts, but at this point I wonder why they even bother...

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hi. We have only sailed Disney in the past, & they have 1 formal and 1 semi- formal night. The rest ( for the main dining rooms) are cruise casual. On those nights nice men's shorts and polos or Hawaiian type shirts were ok. I also have some "dressy" capris that were ok. Is this not the case on RCI? I'm reading alot of conflicting reports. For the formal nights my husband does have jacket & tie. We will be on the Adventure, if that makes a difference. Thanks

BermudaShorts01.png

CREASES, even.

Edited by hellsop