Power out at Port of Galveston

bus man

Suppose that will delay sail away. Enjoy the cruise

Yep, we left two hours late. Didn't get to eat anything before dinner, so we were all pretty famished by then. But it was all uphill from there!

Yep, we left two hours late. Didn't get to eat anything before dinner, so we were all pretty famished by then. But it was all uphill from there!

We were late getting on one afternoon and only got a note of a snack before muster drill so I know how tough that can be...had to be worse with No food

We were late getting on one afternoon and only got a note of a snack before muster drill so I know how tough that can be...had to be worse with No food

No food since breakfast, and two young children added to the mix, and yeah, it wasn't fun. Thankfully we were able to distract them with the games on our iPhones.

This was my first cruise out of Galveston, and it will be my last. Fortunately, the cruise itself was great. But it sure got off on the wrong foot.

I don't believe the Port "planned" for the power to go out to disrupt everyone:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, nothing in life is 100% guaranteed. Stuff happens.

As a retired Asset Manager for real estate office buildings, I am so glad I don't have to deal with the general public who just can't or won't understand when their little world is disrupted.

Power outages, broken water mains, hurricanes - nothing would stop the whining of "when was I going to get it fixed":confused:

Life is an adventure and there are many bumps in the road. Some have more bumps than others. Seems those who have the worst bumps deal with issues much better and with grace, not blaming anyone or anything.:)

Just saying

So you will never sail from Galveston again?

Does that mean that if there is a car accident on a nearby interstate highway, you will never drive on that highway again?

Does that mean that if a store is out of milk you will never shop there again?

Does that mean that if the Post Office loses a birthday card, you will stop celebrating your birthday?

Those that know Galveston, enjoy sailing from Galveston!

Edited by TEXASMUNK

I don't believe the Port "planned" for the power to go out to disrupt everyone:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, nothing in life is 100% guaranteed. Stuff happens.

Of course you are correct, stuff does indeed happen. The power failure was inconvenient, to be sure. (Let's see how patient YOU are if you've already been waiting for two hours in line, and you've got two tired, hungry, impatient young children with you -- and then you're plunged into an hour-long blackout.) But it wasn't the end of the world. What annoyed me was that during the entire one-hour duration of the event, not once was there any message of any kind relayed by anyone in authority (or, for that matter, anyone period) as to what was going on and what was being done to address the issue.

As you are a building manager, you can surely appreciate the need to keep people informed when the building you are managing is housing several hundred people and is totally dark except for a couple of small emergency lights by the exits and the glow of hundreds of cell-phone screens. And you know -- or you SHOULD know -- that power failures in crowded, auditorium-like buildings have been known to lead to panic and even stampedes (fortunately, nothing of the sort happened here), and therefore, timely information can be critical.

Does that mean that if there is a car accident on a nearby interstate highway, you will never drive on that highway again?

Does that mean that if the Post Office loses a birthday card, you will stop celebrating your birthday?

I gave a more detailed review of my experience in the Gulf Coast Departures board. (I don't know how to link to another post, but the thread title is "Not Impressed with the Port of Galveston.") The power failure was only one of several incidents that accumulated during my three-hour tenancy in the port terminal building, the totality of which has led me to the conclusion that the Port of Galveston is not right for me.

Oh, and to give a serious response to your first point: there is an intersection in my town in which I was involved in an accident that sent me to the hospital, and left my car a total loss. I continue to drive through that intersection every single day.

Contrary to your belief, one does not always know why something occurs or when the situation will change.

In this day and time, when wrong information is given (because OP demand immediate answers) then there is hell to pay because the info was not accurate.

Like asking the person who answers the phone for someone else - "Well, how long is he/she going to be on the phone"?

And, yes I have waited in long lines with small children. I was taught patience as were my children and grandchildren.

And I have dealt with major outages in buildings where the majority remained calm and sensible. There were always the one or two demanding immediate action, thus disrupting the protocol of trying resolve a situation.

Waiting to board a ship with circumstantial delays in not unusual in most ports due to medical emergencies, cleaning due to norovirus, power outages, etc.

Waited 3 hours in an un-airconditioned tent at the port outside of Rome (no facilities). All just took it in stride.

Kind of sad we have become a nation of whiners:(

I know it's not nice to pile on, but it seems that your decision to hold off eating anything between breakfast and boarding had a lot more to do with your family being hungry and impatient than an power outage.

I do agree, though, that someone ought to address the crowd, even if it to say that they are checking into what is going on. I expect the terminal had nothing to do with the power outage and neither had reason to know when it would be fixed nor power to do anything about it.

Stuff happens. Roll with it, and move on.

I know it's not nice to pile on, but it seems that your decision to hold off eating anything between breakfast and boarding had a lot more to do with your family being hungry and impatient than an power outage.

I do agree, though, that someone ought to address the crowd, even if it to say that they are checking into what is going on. I expect the terminal had nothing to do with the power outage and neither had reason to know when it would be fixed nor power to do anything about it.

Stuff happens. Roll with it, and move on.

In this instance at least, I agree with your piling on. It is no one's fault but our own that we didn't eat anything after breakfast. Our plan had been to enjoy lunch aboard the ship after boarding. But then the hotel shuttle took much longer than expected, then there was the two-hour wait in the check-in line, followed by the additional hour lost due to the power failure.

As I've never previously had a check-in take anywhere near this long, it simply didn't occur to me that it would would have this time. But stuff does happen, and this time it happened against me. Next time we'll prepare better.

And no, I don't hold the terminal responsible for the power failure. But I do hold them responsible for the failure to communicate.

As you are a building manager, you can surely appreciate the need to keep people informed when the building you are managing is housing several hundred people and is totally dark except for a couple of small emergency lights by the exits and the glow of hundreds of cell-phone screens. And you know -- or you SHOULD know -- that power failures in crowded, auditorium-like buildings have been known to lead to panic and even stampedes (fortunately, nothing of the sort happened here

Asset Manager - as in overseeing all building managers and property - retired 8years.

And power failures should not lead to panic or stampedes if people are educated to not panic, but remain calm and orderly.

Enough said:rolleyes:

I'm not the op, but my issue is with Royal caribbean's poor handling of a fog situation. Since fog is common during the times that I can sail, I am opting to cruise out of ports that are less likely to have that problem. In addition, Royal needs to invest more in a better embarkation system at this port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not the op, but my issue is with Royal caribbean's poor handling of a fog situation. Since fog is common during the times that I can sail, I am opting to cruise out of ports that are less likely to have that problem. In addition, Royal needs to invest more in a better embarkation system at this port.

OMG:eek: It is Royal Caribbean's fault that fog occurs?

Other ports have fog. RCI is not responsible for the weather.

I guess airports never shut down due to weather:)

Enjoy sailing out of other ports. May you never have any delays:rolleyes:

There are several threads regarding the $10 million improvement and expansion at the port.

Guess you were in a fog and never saw the posts:confused:

Oh please. Go back and reread before posting.

I didn't say the fog was anyone's fault. I said that Royal handled the delay very poorly. Until they get their act together, I won't sail out of that port.

I purposely avoid certain airports during specific times of the year. I won't connect In Chicago during the winter, for example.

Galveston gets fog in the winter and that is the only time I choose to sail the Caribbean. Therefore, I will avoid that port and opt to sail out of say San Juan....where I highly doubt they have regular fog delays.

And yes, wEll aware of the pending improvements. Note the use of the word pending.

But hey, I'm one less person you have to wait in that long line behind.

Lol...just a tad but defensive aren't we? Lol

Edited by seaofwonder

No food since breakfast, and two young children added to the mix, and yeah, it wasn't fun. Thankfully we were able to distract them with the games on our iPhones.

This was my first cruise out of Galveston, and it will be my last. Fortunately, the cruise itself was great. But it sure got off on the wrong foot.

Totally agree about not going out of Galveston. I hope to never go out of there again.

I know how it is to have to wait with children,and hungry ones make it worse. BUT,I would NEVER go anywhere, especially to a cruise terminal without snacks of all kinds for them.

Fog happens at every port,can't understand why others make like its only Galveston that has fog. I love to sail Jan/Feb and have once been delayed due to fog. I hate to agree, but your right, it will be one or two less for me to have to wait with. And, that is not meant to be ugly, just agreeing with you!

These "I'm mad as (heck) and not going to take it any more" threads make me laugh. :roll eyes:

Also, hurricane season starts in about 5 weeks. I will be waiting the first of the threads blaming the cruise lines for shifting ports due to storms. Those threads are always entertaining in the summer. :D

These "I'm mad as (heck) and not going to take it any more" threads make me laugh. :roll eyes:

Also, hurricane season starts in about 5 weeks. I will be waiting the first of the threads blaming the cruise lines for shifting ports due to storms. Those threads are always entertaining in the summer. :D

Good to see I'm not the only one Truckerdave. LOL

I know how it is to have to wait with children,and hungry ones make it worse. BUT,I would NEVER go anywhere, especially to a cruise terminal without snacks of all kinds for them.

Fog happens at every port,can't understand why others make like its only Galveston that has fog. I love to sail Jan/Feb and have once been delayed due to fog. I hate to agree, but your right, it will be one or two less for me to have to wait with. And, that is not meant to be ugly, just agreeing with you!

I agree...weather happens, but the cruise line needs to be prepared in a port where it happens frequently. It was chaos trying to get off the ship and employees were doing nothing to enforce any semblance of order.

But it's all good....there are lots of other options in the world :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app