Frequency of sales promotions (3-2-1 go, PYP)

swixpat

Dear seasoned Celebrity Cruisers

Tomorrow 15 April the promotion "pick your perk" (or rather the included classic beverage package in my case) ends. This promotional offer seemed to follow seamlessly the 3-2-1 go promotion that ended end February.

I am interested in a cruise in October, but would prefer not to book yet. What are the chances that a similar promotion (again, looking at the classic beverage package) will be back before early August?

Many thanks for your replies

Swixpat

Dear seasoned Celebrity Cruisers

Tomorrow 15 April the promotion "pick your perk" (or rather the included classic beverage package in my case) ends. This promotional offer seemed to follow seamlessly the 3-2-1 go promotion that ended end February.

I am interested in a cruise in October, but would prefer not to book yet. What are the chances that a similar promotion (again, looking at the classic beverage package) will be back before early August?

Many thanks for your replies

Swixpat

I'd be careful - when we booked our cruise (with no 3-2-1 promotion or similar) almost a year in advance we got decent OBC and we pre-paid gratuities. Not long after we booked, the price of the cruise skyrocketed but had 'free' drinks and gratuities or OBC.

Definitely some clever marketing from Celebrity, as the extra cost would have paid for the drinks package anyway :)

I was researching cruises and my TA advised me not to book since there was a PYP promotion coming up.

It did, along with a $200/pp price increase.

I say find a cruise you like and book way in advance for the best price, then check often for price drops. You'll probably come out ahead that way!

All the promos really do begin to make me only want to book if there is something strong like a beverage package as an incentive.

It reminds me of Belk, a local store in the South, that constantly puts coupon flyers in the newspaper for two day specials. I find myself postponing shopping there on the other five days even when I'm in that neighborhood because I figure I'd be paying too much.

One way to decide is to consider how many beds are offered by all cruiselines on the itinerary you are considering. Pricing and promos are likely on a seven day Caribbean cruise, but less likely (or nonexistent) on more unusual itineraries with little competition - those often increase in price or sell out early.

By the way, we got a flyer from X in the mail the other day saying the Pick Your Perk was extended to April 20. It wasn't clear whether it was just for the couple of itineraries featured.

That is the big when to book question. Last year we booked in Feb during 123 promo. Our sailing went up an up, it dropped to within $140 pp after final but with no perk, and there were no comparable specials extended.

Our 11day this year is up almost $700 pp from what we booked at and now with no added perk.

As others posted, if you find the date you like at a price that you can handle, book it. The only ones that will have big price swings seem to be the longer exotic sailings, not a regular ole 7 day.

It is very obvious that the $200 OBC, Pre-paid gratuities or drink Package has been added to the cost of the cruise. We were pricing Alaska this summer, and the pricing is easily 200-300 more than it was last year for Celebrity.

2 years ago we got a "suite guarantee" on Century for less than what a regular verandah costs this season.

We went with Holland America this year for Alaska, got a slightly smaller OBC and drink package, but saved a ton of money.

I personally detest this new "free" program, as it is anything but free.

Book it. You can always cancel if required. Just make sure that the TA that you choose doesn't charge a cancellation fee or a fee for making any changes as there are a few that do.

I have never regretted booking a cruise too early, but have for not.

The promos that the cruise line offers or trying to predict them is like the stock market, past performance is no indication of the future.

🇺🇸

We booked Eclipse for a 14 night Caribbean for Mar 2015 during the 123GO. Received the beverage package & our TA did prepaid gratuities & a nice amount of OBC. Oh, by the way, the base cruise price was $500pp LESS than the same cruise 3 years ago (booked thru cruise line) without beverage package, gratuities or OBC included. I'm really happy & have a hump cabin in a better location too. Life is good, cruise on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is very obvious that the $200 OBC, Pre-paid gratuities or drink Package has been added to the cost of the cruise. We were pricing Alaska this summer, and the pricing is easily 200-300 more than it was last year for Celebrity.

2 years ago we got a "suite guarantee" on Century for less than what a regular verandah costs this season.

We went with Holland America this year for Alaska, got a slightly smaller OBC and drink package, but saved a ton of money.

1) Yes, for some of us $200-$300 is big, but not a ton.

2) This is the start of the 'Farewell run for the Century, and she will fetch higher than average pricing.

3) We made the mistake of sailing Princess in 2012 after a few years of not. There is a big difference in the product after Carnival bought them. We have friends that have sailed HAL and told us the same was true there. They will not look at booking HAL for awhile, and my wife will not book Princess either.

Bottom line, for some the $2-300 savings are worth the lesser on ship experience, for others, ie: us, it is not.

By, "very obvious", you mean, here is one example where I think... There are many instances where the opposite is true. The price is the same or cheaper than in years past. If they run this promo and demand is still low prices will drop. If it fills the ship, prices will go up. It is increasing the cost for Celebrity to run this promo. However, they must need to do this to fill the ship at a profit margin they are comfortable with.

A general question to ask of those who may know.....is there a Walgreens or such near the Hilton Miami Airport on Blue Lagoon Drive, where we can pick up sunscreen, bug spray, Copenhagan, etc? We arrive at midnight this Thursday and may need to stock up prior to boarding the shuttle to Fort Lauderdale the following am......

Many thanks in advance!

B4UC50

A general question to ask of those who may know.....is there a Walgreens or such near the Hilton Miami Airport on Blue Lagoon Drive, where we can pick up sunscreen, bug spray, Copenhagan, etc? We arrive at midnight this Thursday and may need to stock up prior to boarding the shuttle to Fort Lauderdale the following am......

Many thanks in advance!

B4UC50

You will get the best info on the Fl thread; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

1) Yes, for some of us $200-$300 is big, but not a ton.

2) This is the start of the 'Farewell run for the Century, and she will fetch higher than average pricing.

3) We made the mistake of sailing Princess in 2012 after a few years of not. There is a big difference in the product after Carnival bought them. We have friends that have sailed HAL and told us the same was true there. They will not look at booking HAL for awhile, and my wife will not book Princess either.

Bottom line, for some the $2-300 savings are worth the lesser on ship experience, for others, ie: us, it is not.

All I Know Is This....

Alaska pricing for all Celebrity ships is much higher this year than in the past.

Comparisons cannot be made with other markets like the Caribbean and Europe. I would imagine you can get a great deal in Europe right now, including all of the perks. The trick is to find a deal on the airfare.

I do agree with you...Celebrity is still our favorite mainstream line. we'll have to see how far HAL has slipped, as it has been 4 years or so since we sailed HAL.

I do agree with you...Celebrity is still our favorite mainstream line. we'll have to see how far HAL has slipped, as it has been 4 years or so since we sailed HAL.

I don't feel it is that it has 'slipped', and we know there are differences from line to line, it is that the little things were more pronounced to us. And we were not going out of our way to find nor look for them.

Look forward to reading your thoughts when you return.

All the promos really do begin to make me only want to book if there is something strong like a beverage package as an incentive.

I'm feeling the same way about the promos. I'm considering my next cruise and wondering how long I'll have to wait to see if a promo comes up for the recently released cruises and if it would even be worth it to book if I have to pay full price for the beverage package (prices on the cruises I've been looking at would have to drop some, and considering that the current promo doesn't even apply to them, I'm not sure they will.) For my BF and I, beverage packages are pretty much a requirement when we cruise, and Celebrity offering them for free (among other reasons) is keeping us booking with them, but at some point you figure they have to stop.

It reminds me of Belk, a local store in the South, that constantly puts coupon flyers in the newspaper for two day specials. I find myself postponing shopping there on the other five days even when I'm in that neighborhood because I figure I'd be paying too much.
I do the same thing with Macy's. As my BF says, anyone who pays full price at Macy's is an idiot. They have a Savings Pass EVERY WEEKEND. Why would I shop there on a Wednesday?

• 6 months later...

Last week we looked at a Baltic cruise next June via travel agents in England and America.

The 3-2-1 offer was on with both, but then on 4th November it disappeared. But by the 7th November it was back!

The UK Celebrity site said tips and drinks package was reinstated - "must book by 10th November - when it's gone it's gone".

Guess what, today, the 11th, in UK they have an even better 4-3-2-1 deal on, including free car parking.......

Moreover, there is a substantial discrepancy between the US and UK prices that cannot be explained by currency fluctuations.

What's going on, besides X trying to flog off cabins?

We are new to Celebrity and were worried about when to book. We went ahead and booked now for the Equinox next December. We were able to get an additional $500 OBC to the $300 that Celebrity is offering and the gratuities and Classic bev. included. I hope we got a good deal. We got burned on Carnival this past October so we were worried about booking early. I guess we can always cancel if we find it at a better price.