aft or side????

eddiesgal

Hello everyone,

We've recently booked a veranda on the Constellation and was offered an

aft balcony. I've cruised 6 times before but never with a balcony. Which does everyone prefer.....aft or side and why????

Thanks in advance for your imput.

This depends a little on you. The balconies are bigger on an aft but it is aft which means more movement (sea sickness if prone) and depending on which deck engine noise could be a problem. You will also have long walks to the entertainment areas, short to Dining Room.

I will admit that I never stayed in an aft balcony. I book my cruises far in advance and have had the choice of either. I always choose a side balcony mid ship. Close to everything and supposed to be less movement. For just two of us we certainly do not need a large balcony. We do spend time on the balcony but not that much time. A standard size balcony is comfortable for two. If I was taking children I am sure I would go for the larger balcony.

but it is aft which means more movement (sea sickness if prone)

Huh? :confused:

I always thought that the prow of a ship moved way more than the aft! Especially in vertical movement. Way less "up and down" on the back of a ship than up front. Are you saying that there is significant "side to side" motion? Help! I'm confused! (Again) :cool:

We've been in aft cabins for our last 4 sailings, all of which were on the Millennium and the Summit. Never had bit of motion! We love the size of the balcony, which is the same width as the other balconies - just much longer.

These balconies are covered 3/4 of the length and if you stand at the railing you can be seen from the decks above (and from the Penthouse Suites below if your are on the Vista -7th - deck).

There are NO drawbacks to these aft balconies, however, some feel they are tunnel-like. The only minor inconvenience (due to night time windiness) we experienced is finding all kinds of things from other cabins on the balcony floor in the mornings: a shower cap, a toothbrush, a washcloth and some small trash items. It was actually a hoot every morning - "honey, what's out on the balcony today?"

My husband felt we needed a change of pace, and wanted to try a side cabin again; we're booked for April, 2006 in 6136 on the Millennium and in 6144 on the Constellation for April, 2007. By 2008 I'm sure we'll be back to aft - if we don't get beaten out!!! :cool:

Hi Miamiroo,

Could you explain a little about "being seen" at the railing on the aft balconies on the Summit? Also, would you recommend Vista Deck with Panorama above and only suites below, or Panorama with Sky Deck above and Vista below?

Thanks!

Just had an Aft cabin ont he Grandeur of the Seas. Every warned me about the terrible motion that I woud fee. Still waiting for that motion to occur. Had two days of very hard windy rain and the only thing wrong was that we could not have breakfast on the balcony.

Once you have a balcony - you can not go back AND once you have a AFT balcony you will NEVER go back

Take the AFT and enjoy

When you stand at the railing of your aft balcony you can look down at the people standing at the rail of the balcony below you, and those above can look down at you. We've actually had nice conversations with our up and down neighbors this way. But don't worry, 90% of your balcony is private (not TOTALLY private because you can see your side neighbors through the slight cracks between the partitions - no big deal). I actually think the Penthouse Suites have the worst of it...their decks are so big you can see more of them. And you can see way more of the corner afts, too. I didn't find myself spying on my neighbors too much because we are too busy looking at the ocean and everything out there.

I just wanted to make a slight correction that you do not see JUST the balcony that is directly below you, but all the balconies to the left and right (just the railing part, maybe a foot or two in). It is in no way a detriment to booking these fabulous cabins.

Our first two afts were on Deck 8, Panorama. Loved it. This time 8 was not available so we are on 7, Vista. Not sure if it will be weird to be even closer to the Penthouse Suites.

warmwinds, if the folks below are nice I hope I can make friends with them and who knows? I might get a tour around the Penthouse Suite along with others from our roll call that are nearby. If I don't get invited, then I'll just stare long and hard and maybe turn just a slight shade of green;)

The only minor inconvenience (due to night time windiness) we experienced is finding all kinds of things from other cabins on the balcony floor in the mornings: a shower cap, a toothbrush, a washcloth and some small trash items. It was actually a hoot every morning

Jill, your comment made me smile.:) I haven't seen that one before. I am going to see what I can gather and if it's worthwhile I may hold an impromptu "garage sale". Might pay for half a glass of wine:D

Phil

How many times could one type "AFT" before the message buffer overruns?

Motion? Never had any more in an aft CC than noticed elsewhere on the ship. Then again, we don't saiil duruing hurricane season;) .

Check the pictures in the signature link below. You can also look at the Family View cabin (another "aft") that lie on each side of aft CC cabins. There's a better view of the veranda in that set, and are the same verandas as the CC cabins in between.

Unlike the verandas elsewhere and on other ships, these don't suffer from "tunnel syndrome". The transluscent glass panels that taper at the end towards the railing give them a much more "open" feeling as well -- so you win both ways... they're not only bigger in square feet, they feel bigger than that. Partly shaded by the canvas above, and partly open to the sun, it's a perfect combination.

Try not to give in to the temptation to barricade yourself in your cabin at the end of the cruise. It's easier to get your fellow aft CC mates to help you just barricade the two hallways in a cooperative effort:D .

That's funny about barricading the halls...when people talk about how "far" they are from everything, I actually think they are so easy...just walk down either side as far as you can. You never have to worry about whether you're on the correct side of the ship. And to everyone who says they don't spend that much time on their balcony...with one of these, you will live out there.

So if you had the choice, would you all prefer an aft cabin on Vista Deck or Panorama Deck? Is it better or worse to have the suites below you?

Thanks!

In my opinion, either Vista or Panorama would be fine. I've had cabins on both decks and the cabin below never made any difference.

So if you had the choice, would you all prefer an aft cabin on Vista Deck or Panorama Deck? Is it better or worse to have the suites below you?

Thanks!

No difference at all. I'd be happy with 7, 8 or 9, having done each of them at one time or another in either CC or FV.

Thanks to both canderson's and Mahdnc's pix we booked 8166 on Constellation in May 06. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
The fact that you'll get to enjoy this cabin for a 14nt cruise is a real bonus, even though you have a pretty port intensive itinerary there. Have yourselves a great trip!

We had an AFT balcony, 7203, on the Summit back in October 2003. It was GREAT but we did have rough weather the first two days out of FLL and the back rolled quite a bit, fortunately we don't get seasick easily but our neighbors unfortunately did. The walk to the back is nothing - another 20 seconds at most to the elevatios or steps from a normal side cabin. Unfortunately these wonderful cabins are now at a premium. We wanted the same cabin for our April 07, 10 day SO Caribbean Constellation cruise and they were a $1000 more per couple than I paid in 2003. We booked a side balcony instead and will spend the extra $$ on something a little extra for the DW in St Thomas

Unfortunately these wonderful cabins are now at a premium. We wanted the same cabin for our April 07, 10 day SO Caribbean Constellation cruise and they were a $1000 more per couple than I paid in 2003.

I certainly feel your pain, too. When we sailed in an Infinity FV back in Feb 2002 to the S Carib, our FV was less than $900 pp (1st/2nd) and $200 pp (3rd/4th) including all fees, port charges, etc. So all told our family of 4 sailed on the brand new Infinity for under $2200--and this was pre-9/11 pricing mind you (no dramatic sale pricing after the attack) and we made the reservation 19 months in advance so no Happy Hour stuff here.

We are now booked on the Constellation in the exact same FV cabin to the Carib and the 1st/2nd person pricing on a per person basis exceeds the entire cost of the Infinity cabin for all 4 of us!! Our deposit on the Constellation cruise is only less than $400 more than the full cost for the Infinity cruise! Now the Constellation cruise is a 10 night affair (vs 7 night Infinity) and it is occurring over the New Year holiday so there are some factors that would naturally account for some of the difference. But still......

Archived