Walking in Greece and Turkey

hazeleyez3

Let me preface this with, I posted the question on the "Disabled Cruise" board a few days ago and still have yet to get a response...

My husband and I are interested in taking a Greek Isles cruise which visits Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus, Athens and Katakolon.

I have a slight disability which causes bad balance and not a ton of strength on my right side. I know that private tours would be the best bet, but I have a couple questions.

• The distance between the tender and the pier at the ports...how deep/steep is it? I was surprised in Montenegro and Split last year which caused some strategic planning, and even then it was difficult.
  • My husband is my human "railing" at times. That being said, are there many sights that even this would be difficult in?

Any info would be greatly appreaciated.

Edited by hazeleyez3

Ephesus, Katakolon and Athens all should be fine because these are dock ports.

Santorini would be the toughest; be sure to take a ship's shore excursion because you will get on a bus immediately after tendering. If you do not take a ship's tour, you use a different tender port, and the options are donkeys or cable car options and these are not good ones for you.

We docked in Mykonos so I do not know about the tender situation.

Edited by CintiPam

Could the original poster please advise us of your ports of call and then we can better answer your query ?

The OP listed all their ports in their second paragraph.

Depending on what you want to see, walking in any of these ports could be problematic.

I haven't tendered at Mykonos either, but if you port there, you can take the shuttle (small charge) into the center of Mykonos Town. The streets are somewhat hilly with lots of ups and downs but not otherwise hazardous.

If you want to see the ruins at Ephesus, the usual pattern is that tours or taxis drop folks off at the highest part of the site, then you walk downhill through the ruins and can be picked up after exiting at the bottom. The pathway through the site is uneven and there are no hand rails that I can recall (other than in the enclosed area for viewing the Terrace Houses, an extra charge but well worth it).

There's been a lot written about the Acropolis in Athens if you are interested in doing a search. Walking up and down would be difficult. There is an elevator for those who can prove need of it.

Let me preface this with, I posted the question on the "Disabled Cruise" board a few days ago and still have yet to get a response...

My husband and I are interested in taking a Greek Isles cruise which visits Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus, Athens and Katakolon.

I have a slight disability which causes bad balance and not a ton of strength on my right side. I know that private tours would be the best bet, but I have a couple questions.

• The distance between the tender and the pier at the ports...how deep/steep is it? I was surprised in Montenegro and Split last year which caused some strategic planning, and even then it was difficult.
  • My husband is my human "railing" at times. That being said, are there many sights that even this would be difficult in?

You have been given some really good info here. I am just going to add that if you use a cane or not...get a Hurrycane to use as it is a stablizer as well as a cane...you can Google it ofr the website. It will be a great tool for you to have.

I don't know how much has changed since I've been to Greece (March 2008), but it's very hilly/steppy. Especially at the Acropolis with the rock and gravel paths and uneven walkways.

That being said, we had 2 people on our tour that were in wheelchairs for some of the trip. I remember seeing them walking at times, but if it was a long walk, they were in the wheelchairs.

I wish I had more information, but I honestly think you'd be fine if you brought something to help give you a little more support while you walked.