is Platinum check in reallly all the special??

lissa42886

people seem to be super keen on NEEDING that platinum check in.. but why ??

on the cruises i have been on i have never had to wait in any kind of extraordinary line for security or check in.. it was always quick and breezy.. maybe 15 mins security... and just a few in front of me for check in.. i swear i have alays been on the ship in about an hour ..

on the cruises i have been on i have never had to wait in any kind of extraordinary line for security or check in.. it was always quick and breezy.. maybe 15 mins security... and just a few in front of me for check in.. i swear i have alays been on the ship in about an hour ..

The check in isn't so important to me because even if we weren't Diamond I would still be getting to the port around 10:30 and probably on the ship by 11:30.

It is really nice not to have to stand in the long line at Guest Services, and it's also nice to be able to go directly to my cabin and drop off carry on's (legally).

Guaranteed dining times and free laundry are important perks to us, and the gift has been really great for the past few years.

I arrive at port at around 3 pm so platinum will not do anything special for me. For me arriving later is great as my room is ready and most everyone else is not in they way with their luggage and the elevators are available. Still 36 days away from platinum anyhow. I don't do laundry on the ship either, but the platinum gift would be cool and that's about it for me. I have only gone to guest services when they aren't swamped with people.

Edited by n6uqqq

I like having it but I certainly don't NEED it.

It depends on what your previous embarkation experience has been.

We have had many that were truly unpleasant.

Standing for hours waiting.

Computers barely working.

Getting on and waiting so long that we got on right before the muster drill and missed lunch.

We did not know any better, so we accepted it as part of the process, but I really do not want to go back to that.

I quess you aren't aware if the extras in the priority lounge. The slippers, complimentary massages from the spa staff and my favorite, the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I'm with you, the premium perks would be nice but we have never waited to board. We don't get there until 11:30 and usually walk right through everything. We waited about 15 min one time after we got our cards but that's it.

I've never used guest services but dropping off luggage would be sweet!

It is a nice little perk. In Miami, they put you in a nice room and serve little glasses of water and lemonade. Then you go upstairs and board with or just behind the first wave of people-- those with FTTF and those in the first few zones who are closer to the escalators and board in mass. What I really like about Platinum is being able to put your stuff in your room immediately upon boarding, which is a FTTF perk they decided to share with us.

The check in isn't so important to me because even if we weren't Diamond I would still be getting to the port around 10:30 and probably on the ship by 11:30.

It is really nice not to have to stand in the long line at Guest Services, and it's also nice to be able to go directly to my cabin and drop off carry on's (legally).

Guaranteed dining times and free laundry are important perks to us, and the gift has been really great for the past few years.

Carnival quit offering guaranteed dining times last summer. Platinum members now just have 'priority' for dining times. We cruised on the Legend a few weeks ago and early dining had been waitlisted. I went to the dining room soon after boarding to request early dining. They said they'd let me know the next day, but we needed to stick with anytime dining the first night. We were moved to early dining the next day. It wasn't a big deal, but I did like having guaranteed dining times.

Edited by D4

I quess you aren't aware if the extras in the priority lounge. The slippers, complimentary massages from the spa staff and my favorite, the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! You are so full of it! More likely stale lukewarm lemonade. But hey, say it a little louder! Maybe the powers that be at Carnival will get the idea to start doing it!!! After a long flight I could use that massage!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I actually do like it. The reason being is there are a couple of times that we have gotten to the port when we were not Platinum and had a couple of hours worth of waiting and it was not fun at all!

The other thing I like is priority disembarkation. That is really worth it, especially when one drives to the port.

It's all relative. Carnival is a budget cruise line which doesn't offer that many opportunities to feel extra special. The Platinum perks, while limited, do make us feel special when we cruise on Carnival.

We have seen ridiculously long check-in lines, with literally thousands of people snaking all the way out to the sidewalk, and we've been VERY grateful that we could proceed straight to the front of the line, go through security, and sit down in a private lounge while the check in process is completed.

Because I was FORCED to go on 4 cruises last year just so I could finally feel special! :D

I always arrive early, too, so check-in has always seemed smooth anyway. The other perks are cool, too.

I was also "forced" to go on 4 cruises last year and I'm already platinum! I would live on a cruise ship if they'd let me live there for free and not make me work in the kitchen. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

Carnival quit offering guaranteed dining times last summer. Platinum members now just have 'priority' for dining times. We cruised on the Legend a few weeks ago and early dining had been waitlisted. I went to the dining room soon after boarding to request early dining. They said they'd let me know the next day, but we needed to stick with anytime dining the first night. We were moved to early dining the next day. It wasn't a big deal, but I did like having guaranteed dining times.

I realize it's only guaranteed for those of us that are Diamond, but even when I was still Platinum I was never waitlisted.

I have always preferred to get to the pier early. I don't start really relaxing until I'm sitting there with my S&S card in my hand. The getting on the ship first part isn't that important to me, but I do enjoy the more comfortable VIP lounge.

The Platinum lounge really isn't all that special and getting on the ship early can be done without Platinum status, but having our room ready and luggage not far behind is very nice. We also like the priority line at Guest Services, priority debarkation and laundry.

Most cruises the VIP check-in doesn't make a tremendous difference. Just a little perk extended to those long-time repeat customers, suite guests and now those willing to pay extra for it.

There have been a few instances where I've saved quite a bit of time using it, especially when we weren't able to get to the terminal early enough. There have also been times when my friends in the regular check-in line got through before I did.

Sent from my Tricorder

I think that it depends on the port. For example in Baltimore, you may get processed just a bit faster, but you still essentially wait with "the masses" until boarding starts. In New York, there is a separate lounge with sofas and what not where you wait to board....much more comfortable. Didn't wait for a second in Seattle and we weren't platinum....did wait in Tampa. I can't remember what priority boarding was like in Miami.

I didn't know that we were able to drop off our carry-ons early until our last cruise, lol, so that was a new perk for us!

I personally don't think its a big deal.. We have always gotten to the Port early and in cases where we have cruised with non-Platinum guests, they have gotten Zone 1 or 2. Lately, at least at the Port of Miami, the VIP room has been so overcrowded that it has been standing room only :( ... In addition, on my last cruise the Carnival EmployeeTerri allowed the FTTF passengers to board before us telling me "What difference does it make"...

So, if you're asking specially about check-in, NO, not such a big deal.. at least at the Port of Miami...

And from what I've read/heard, someone needs to retrain the Port Staff on who is really suppose to board first etc... Sounds to me like the right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing as far as boarding procedures at the Ports.... :(