Will I have enough time to catch my return flight at Seattle?

lifesimplified

We will be cruising on Holland America's Westerdam RT from Seattle to Alaska 5/31-6/7/14. I booked a same day return flight out of Seattle at 11:35am with Alaska Air. The ship arrives Seattle at 7am. Never cruised before, don't know if it will take a long time to get off the boat and check into the airport. Please help! Thanks!

Even though the ship will arrive before 7 AM, that does not mean that you can get off right away.

You have to wait until the ship is cleared by the local authorities.

Also remember that pier 91 is not close to the airport.

There is an option for Luggage Direct where people with flights after 11:30 can put out their luggage the night before and you don't see it until you get home. I don't know if Alaska Air is included in that.

There is also the option that if you are able to carry ALL your own luggage off the ship without any help from the crew and the porters, called Self Disembarkation, you can be among the first off the ship -- usually around 7:30 if all has gone well.

The Luggage Direct passengers are also among the first off the ship.

You will have to go through immigration and customs before you leave the terminal.

One problem we have had at pier 91 -- very few porters in the terminal to help people with their luggage.

Hoe are you planning on getting to the airport?

We will be cruising on Holland America's Westerdam RT from Seattle to Alaska 5/31-6/7/14. I booked a same day return flight out of Seattle at 11:35am with Alaska Air. The ship arrives Seattle at 7am. Never cruised before, don't know if it will take a long time to get off the boat and check into the airport. Please help! Thanks!

May 2013 we had a noon flight. We used luggage direct & took a taxi to the airport. Arrived at the gate by 10:00 am.

Aug 2013 my flight was at 1:45 pm. arranged everything else the same as May trip. But I was picked for the random luggage customs search. We didn't make it to the airport until 12:15 that trip. Then the TSA lines were long.

Seattle has some of the worst security lines . Saturday will be bad because there are at least three if not four cruise ships in port . Most people will be trying to a noon flight so that they get to the East Coast at a reasonable hour.

I also plan on getting a taxi---is it readily available or do I have to prearrange for one? Thanks for the info on Luggage Direct and Self Disembarkation, I only plan on taking two luggages to the cruise (a family of four), I will utilize one of the methods for sure. I will aim for the first ones to get off and rush to the airport, hopefully the traffic to the airport is okay on a Saturday morning.

Also, could someone please tell me how far in advance should I book the shore excursions through local providers?

Thanks

Yifeng

I also plan on getting a taxi---is it readily available or do I have to prearrange for one? Thanks for the info on Luggage Direct and Self Disembarkation, I only plan on taking two luggages to the cruise (a family of four), I will utilize one of the methods for sure. I will aim for the first ones to get off and rush to the airport, hopefully the traffic to the airport is okay on a Saturday morning.

Also, could someone please tell me how far in advance should I book the shore excursions through local providers?

Thanks

Yifeng

Taxi's line at pier no need to prearrange! Some shore excursions can be arranged

Right on the pier as you disembark.

Thanks

Yifeng

YES. TAKE A CAB. They are at the port. Just make sure it is a real cab with fares posted. Sometimes there are renegades that are not licensed cabbies and drive town cars with no postings on the car. DO NOT get in one of those.

Again, you will have no problem making the 1135 flight. A cab will save you some time as the shuttles need to fill up, and sometimes take a long convoluted route to the airport and may drop off passengers at another terminal first, etc.

There will be little traffic on Saturday morning. The route may take 20-30 minutes. I guarantee you will be at the airport no later than 10am, which gives you 1 1/2 hours to get on the plane. I would not worry at all. Trust me on this.

Thanks

Yifeng

You shouldn't have any problem getting a taxi though that's somewhat dependent on the number of ships in port that morning. Personally I'm not a big proponent of Luggage Direct and if I'm in a hurry to get to the airport it means I'm not going to be doing last minute touring in the disembarkation port so I'm not concerned about hauling my luggage around town that morning so why bother. While I live in San Antonio now I grew up in the Seattle-Tacoma area and up until my mother's passing a year ago I travelled up there frequently. Got to say that SeaTac International is not one of my favorite airports and getting from the cruise terminals to the airport is sometimes difficult in terms of traffic. While I think you'll be fine I wouldn't go as far as to guarantee it, unfortunately stuff happens and some stuff is not good.

Thanks

Yifeng

I personally would book private excursions now. Some providers get booked up early for the best time slots.

There is a lot of good information about cabs/cars/fares etc on the West Coast Departures forum.

I've been hanging out there finding out about the best way to spend my day and a half in Seattle. Lots of recommendations for transportation there.

Just returned from an extended visit to Seattle. This city has SERIOUS traffic, especially in the congested downtown area. The I-5 to the airport is always heavy, so please take that into consideration. If you can do an "express walk-off" (meaning handling all of your luggage), that would speed up your departure. If the ship is cleared early and security lines cooperate, you should be ok.....

We've done Alaska several times and that will not be a problem I guarantee it. also note that she is just sailing from Victoria the night before so the chance of a late arrival is "ZERO" . you should be fine.
Even if the ship is docked and cleared on time, there's always a possibility of a problem between the ship and the airport. Edited by catl331

There is an option for Luggage Direct where people with flights after 11:30 can put out their luggage the night before and you don't see it until you get home. I don't know if Alaska Air is included in that.

They deliver the luggage to your home?

Yep, Seattle does have traffic issues....even on Saturday morning (they are doing resurfacing and other construction projects, weekend shutdowns of lanes on I-5 are not unheard of.)

There is another way to SeaTac in addition to I-5, it's SR-99 (true, it's a mess because of viaduct construction, but it is another route). It's about a mile longer than taking I-5 to the airport.

Ask your driver if there are any lane closures or accidents and let him/her know that you would like to take the less congested, most direct route to SeaTac. They should know.

When you get to the airport, there is one really big main security line area and two other smaller security line areas. You will be able to tell. There are also people who will direct you to the other areas - believe it or not, listen to them, it can save you time.

SeaTac also takes the electronic boarding passes, so if you check in on your phone you can save a step.

Good luck, have fun, and be patient.

Edited by n0w0rn3v3r