Tipping in specialty restaurants

JoeLongIsland

Sorry but having paid for meal in MDR and then paying a supplement to eat in speciality restaurant and then pay a tip on top of the already $11-50 +15% for drinks per person per day I am afraid I would not at $11-50 per person a day plus 15% on every drink is already extortionate.

Care to tell us how the dining room is related to the specialty restaurants?

Mike:)

I think the point they were making is that if you tip $20 for the meal in the specialty dining room, do you then tip $20 a night in the main dining room? ($20 x 7 days = $140). Basically, most people who eat in the MDR for a 7 night cruise don't usually tip $20 a night extra, but many of you who eat in a specialty restaurant do tip $20 a night.

Care to tell us how the dining room is related to the specialty restaurants?

I think the point they were making is that if you tip $20 for the meal in the specialty dining room, do you then tip $20 a night in the main dining room? ($20 x 7 days = $140). Basically, most people who eat in the MDR for a 7 night cruise don't usually tip $20 a night extra, but many of you who eat in a specialty restaurant do tip $20 a night.

We usually tip $20 in the specialities for "above and beyond " and yes we also tip extra in the MDR to those that have gone "above and beyond" The value of a speciality meal is higher than the MDR therefore I feel the tip is a percentage higher as it would be in any other land restaurant. On a recent X cruise we were in the Blu restaurant which gave us such good service throughout, I gave the Maite D $240 to share amongst the 12 staff he had for dining there 21 nights. This was on top of the pre-paid gratuities.Some may think its too much, some may not, but its what I judge to be fair for what I received. Just my personal view -everyone must do what they judge to be right for them :)

The only thing those two have in common is that they serve food.

It is two totally different dining experiences.

FREE!!!! Paying at least a thousand dollars more per person then a mini suite is not free it's INClUDED. What about every mornings breakfast in Sabitini's, do you tip there? I didn't since I already did my tipping in the daily service charge which I leave intact.

Well thats true however does not mean that one can't offer a tip for great service.

Totally agree with you Colo Cruiser;)

I don't tip every morning at Sabatini's, but I tip the last morning breakfast for the entire cruise.

That's certainly your prerogative and no one has the right to question or belittle your actions.

Tipping is a personal matter that is left to one's discretion.