Redeeming Princess credit card points ?

petlover

I see that you can redeem 5,000 points for $50 Lotus Spa Credit but I don't see you're able to redeem 5,000 points for SBC ?? Perhaps I have an outdated Rewards Chart ?

Thanks.

OBC comes in 10,000 point increments.

Make sure you do not have to cancel the cruise after you apply your credit card points. I applied $300.00 in points for a transatlantic cruise last fall. A week after doing so I found that I had pancreatic cancer and neared surgery soon. I cancelled the cruise ,air, hotels all with no problem with the insurance. BUT when it came touring to get the credit card credit backI got a BIG can not do from all at the credit card company?? I have not used that car since and it still showing - in the credit balance,and will for ever .

Make sure you do not have to cancel the cruise after you apply your credit card points. I applied $300.00 in points for a transatlantic cruise last fall. A week after doing so I found that I had pancreatic cancer and neared surgery soon. I cancelled the cruise ,air, hotels all with no problem with the insurance. BUT when it came touring to get the credit card credit backI got a BIG can not do from all at the credit card company?? I have not used that car since and it still showing - in the credit balance,and will for ever .

Sorry to hear of your illness and hope all is going well. As far as the OBC points, you are correct. The nice lady I spoke with made it perfectly clear to me that once "spent" they were gone. No refunds for any reason. Seems a bit harsh. I know airline miles (Southwest for instance) have been refunded to our account if we cancelled. One more thing. When I hung up with the representative, I checked my credit card account. The points were already gone!:eek: But it takes "7 to 10 days to post the OBC". Go figure.

Pursuant to the above posts, I never cash in points for OBC. I want that money taken right off my credit card balance. In this case, you never have to fear losing anything.

YIKES...I think I'll forget using the points for anything to do with our cruise and just take it off the balance owed, the sure thing.

Forfeiting those points for some unexpected cancellation would be a shame.

GoSea, I'm so sorry to hear your story and I sure hope your health is OK now.

Pursuant to the above posts, I never cash in points for OBC. I want that money taken right off my credit card balance. In this case, you never have to fear losing anything.

You are right. I will do the same in the future.

Pia,

I tried this week to cash in my points for our April 28th Coral Princess sailing. Well, they wouldn't apply them for OBC because it was less than 15 days until we sailed, I was sick all day yesterday thinking that I was going to lose $500 onboard credt. So last night I called back and asked to talk to a supervisor, she said that she would be able to give me the credit on my card. Now as Im reading I can see that this is they way to go for all my future cruises.. JoAnn

When you 'purchase' the OBC they send a voucher to Princess - used to be via snail mail, may be email now, and someone at Princess has to process it manually. Hence the time frame.

Sorry to hear of your illness and hope all is going well. As far as the OBC points, you are correct. The nice lady I spoke with made it perfectly clear to me that once "spent" they were gone. No refunds for any reason. Seems a bit harsh. I know airline miles (Southwest for instance) have been refunded to our account if we cancelled. One more thing. When I hung up with the representative, I checked my credit card account. The points were already gone!:eek: But it takes "7 to 10 days to post the OBC". Go figure.

When you 'purchase' the OBC they send a voucher to Princess - used to be via snail mail, may be email now, and someone at Princess has to process it manually. Hence the time frame.

I cashed in points for OBC recently and it showed in my personalizer the next day.

I see that you can redeem 5,000 points for $50 Lotus Spa Credit but I don't see you're able to redeem 5,000 points for SBC ?? Perhaps I have an outdated Rewards Chart ?

Thanks.

I redeemed and received (this year in 2014) 3100 points for $25 in Spa credit and 5000 points for $50 On Board Credit. I just logged in to my account and I see that those are still available at those point levels.

Hope that helps.

i usually use my points for OBC. cashed in 20k point 4/7 to use on 4/27 cruise. Still waiting to see them on my CP. Will call Barclay's tomorrow to see when the credit was forwarded to Princess.

They usually are on my CP in about 5 days or less so I know something isn't right.

Thanks.

OBC comes in 10,000 point increments.

You can cash in just 5000 points for $50 OBC.

I have done it several times.

From the credit card web site:

Onboard Credit

Among the most versatile ways to redeem your Princess points is a shipboard credit. Use your onboard ship credit to shop in our amazing duty free boutiques, arrange an exciting shore excursion or participate in the thrill of an art auction. Your onboard credit can be applied to any purchase made onboard the ship.

Price: As low as 5,000 Points

Advantage:

Since your onboard charges will not be reduced by this OBC, the amount charged to your card will be that much higher and you will get that many more points x 2. Net effect (apply to credit card balance or to onboard OBC) is the same $$$ wise, but you do get the extra points for next time.

Disadvantage:

Don't get $500 OBC for just 40,000 points.

Advantage:

Since your onboard charges will not be reduced by this OBC, the amount charged to your card will be that much higher and you will get that many more points x 2. Net effect (apply to credit card balance or to onboard OBC) is the same $$$ wise, but you do get the extra points for next time.

Disadvantage:

Why would I want $500 OBC instead of reducing my CC bill? Bill?

Why would I want $500 OBC instead of reducing my CC bill? Bill?

I am so glad that this subject was brought up. I would have never thought of just applying what OBC I would have to my Credit Card then getting the extra double points for our next cruise.

As I recall the last time we redeemed Princess points we took it as a Cruise Credit instead of an Onboard Credit and it was applied as a credit to our credit card. I think it was required that we did this after final payment.

Advantage:

Disadvantage:

?????