Do Reviews Influence you?

babs135

Decision made. Was going to be the Aurora, but saw an itinerary we really really fancy and its on the Oriana. Only concern is that the reviews are even more mixed than with the Aurora, including problems with the plumbing! However, what I find fascinating is how 2 people on the same cruise can have such different views, they either love it or hate it. They even differ over the plumbing problems!!!

Anyway, we've booked and we'll take our chances; hopefully they will be positive :)

Hmm, after reading some concerning reviews of the ship for our June cruise, I realize that "influence" is not the best choice of words. The concerning issue isn't enough to make us jump ship and loose a lot of money, but if we had known a year ago what we know now, we likely would have chose differently. In this case, 9 out of 10 replies agree with the issue stated by the OP. Oh well, we will have a good time.

Burt

I try not to read the negative reviews, those with two stars and under. I feel like I am old enough (60s) to make up my own mind. Then if I go on a ship that I don't particularly like I just chalk it up to life's experience.

I try not to read the negative reviews, those with two stars and under. I feel like I am old enough (60s) to make up my own mind. Then if I go on a ship that I don't particularly like I just chalk it up to life's experience.

It sounds like you read the 3-star and above reviews. Why? If you make up your own mind anyway, what do you glean from neutral to positive reviews that you would not (or choose not to) glean from negative ones?

Just trying to understand your point of view.

Its hard for me to imagine some folks will spend the large amount of money for a cruise without first learning much about it. But I guess it's like elections, some folks vote by the looks a politicians, not by their substance.

Burt

I do something similar for hotels, cruises, etc.: I read all the recent reviews that I can find. Then, I toss out the top and bottom 10% -- and base my decisions on the remaining reviews. This pretty much eliminates the trolls, as well as the hopeless cheerleaders. I also prefer facts to hyperbole. So, statements like: "X,Y,or Z Cruise Lines -- never again", "all the food was inedible -- I nearly starved", "the entire crew was rude and never made eye contact", just get a big :rolleyes: from me.

And, I totally agree -- by a "certain age", we know what we want (and don't want). :cool:

I like to read the trip reviews that are posted in the forums section. The one's listed on the review page are sometimes questionable.

One person reported they had not sailed Carnival almost 15 years. (Wouldn't you assume there have been changes?).They complained that their luggage handler refused to send their water with their checked luggage to their room and that a security officer tore apart their capri suns *shock* looking for alcohol. They are familiar enough with this website to write a review here, so why didn't they check the Carnival forum? How many times lately have their been posts on carrying on drinks, what's allowed, how to smuggle, etc ?! It's their own fault for not being prepared.

Another poster said they were platinum and had expected to be treated as such the entire cruise. How exactly were any of the staff or other cruisers suppose to know they were platinum just walking through the ship unless they were holding up a big sign ?! And honestly, as many people that cruise several times a year, or even every year, wouldn't a big portion of the ship ALSO be platinum?!

One complained that they had booked the cheapest rate possible and let the cruise line choose their room. Yet, they were not given an ideal room selection - how dare they - when other's were given better cabins. They were also 'loyal' cruisers so expected top of the line. Ummmm.....then don't book bottom ~ pay more and pick the cabin you wanted in the first place !

I've read about 'throwing cash' at the guest services agent, empty ice buckets, etc. I take those reviews as they appear.

I appreciate the informative reviews......facts about finding your way around the ship, tips of information to make it more fun or something unique to know. Information about the ports is always nice....how to get taxis, how long it takes to get somewhere, the price, good excursions or outside places to book. I wouldn't have known you can get special desserts like chocolate covered strawberries from the coffee shop or that there are great appetizers for $3.33 at the Red Frog Pub without reading it in a review.