Turnaround day in Southampton

What's the best way to get to the West Quay Shopping centre?

Has anyone walked the 1.2 miles in 25mins? It looks reasonably easy on the Google maps, but can you walk from the Ocean terminal to the port gate?

Does the port or cruiseline provide a free bus into town or the port gate?

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Yes, your ship is scheduled to be at Ocean Terminal (access via Dock Gate 4).

There's no free shuttle (and almost certainly no payable shuttle either), but the walk through the docks is safe, mainly on sidewalks. It's a 20 - 25 minute walk from Ocean Terminal to West Quay Mall, pretty simple, level ground, tolerably interesting.

You have several choices.

The simplest walk is :

5 mins to the port gate.

Turn left out of the gate.

In 5 mins, cross the road at traffic lights at the Town Quay / High Street junction (safe & easy with the traffic lights) and walk up High Street, with your back to the water.

In 10 mins you reach the Bargate (ancient gateway in the middle of the road).

Turn left alongside the Bargate, and West Quay Mall is directly in front of you.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Cunard+Rd&daddr=50.8966476,-1.4044282+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=50.898323,-1.40316&spn=0.010272,0.023646&sll=50.899731,-1.402581&sspn=0.010271,0.023646&geocode=FemVCAMdyqLq_w%3BFQefCAMd9JHq_yk93DINyXZ0SDHitl-VEcm3-w%3BFfu2CAMdlIzq_w&oq=West+Quay+Road&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&t=m&z=16

A more interesting walk, which will take you only 5 minute longer is:

5 mins to the port gate.

Turn left out of the gate.

In 5 mins, at those Town Quay / High Street lights, cross the road but continue in the same direction a few more yards, past Ennios Restaurant, & turn right into French Street, a narrow one-way street which runs parallel to High Street.

Medieval Merchant's House is a couple of hundred yards up French Street.

Turn left alongside the Medieval Merchant's House (footpath only), turn right at the Duke of Wellington pub - you can see the Tudor House from there. Just a hundred yards or less to Tudor House, then back to the Duke of Wellington & now turn right into Westgate Street. The West Gate is directly ahead of you, with Westgate Hall on its left. Not sure if you can access the wall here, but you can if you walk past Westgate Hall.

Walking the city wall to the Bargate involves steps down & back up a time or three due to breaks in the Wall, but well worth it for the views alone. Or you can just walk alongside the Wall - inside it or outside it - to West Quay Mall.

You can descend the city wall at Arundel Tower adjacent the Mall, or continue over the modern footbridge to descend adjacent the Bargate.

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Cunard+Rd&daddr=50.897303,-1.4056229+to:50.8989037,-1.406883+to:50.899823,-1.4068637+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=50.898932,-1.403482&spn=0.010272,0.023646&sll=50.898323,-1.40316&sspn=0.010272,0.023646&geocode=FemVCAMdyqLq_w%3BFZehCAMdSo3q_ynffNKvyXZ0SDF_OlxPuDExfQ%3BFdenCAMdXYjq_ynj38kzyHZ0SDGXdFvgkizXcA%3BFW-rCAMdcYjq_yn9XU3Xt3Z0SDE_i8zNVbcbzA%3BFfu2CAMdlIzq_w&oq=West+Quay+Road&dirflg=w&mra=dvme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=16

(the googlemap route is approximate, google doesn't do walls ;))

If you're feeling lazy there will be plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal, the five minute ride will cost about £6 to £8. Plenty of taxis ranked at West Quay Mall too, if you buy more than you intended.

There's a Uni-link bus service from the port gate to West Quay Mall. route U1. It runs from the National Oceanography Centre in the port & is used almost-exclusively by university students but they are public buses. Fare will be pennies.

http://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=1281

http://www.buscms.com/BlueStar/uploadedfiles/pdfs/Unilink_networkmap_1.pdf

JB :)

I'm not the OP but thanks a lot for the walking route to the mall. We were also looking for something to do on the day between our b2b. Definitely would go the scenic route with the wall.

I was looking at the area in Google Earth and there's a big park not too far from the mall. If it's a nice day it might be nice to get some take out and go to the park for a picnic. :) Then take a different route back to the ship.

I'm not the OP but thanks a lot for the walking route to the mall. We were also looking for something to do on the day between our b2b. Definitely would go the scenic route with the wall.

I was looking at the area in Google Earth and there's a big park not too far from the mall. If it's a nice day it might be nice to get some take out and go to the park for a picnic. :) Then take a different route back to the ship.

The West Quay Mall is to the left (west) of the main shopping street, called Above Bar. Above Bar, which is now mainly pedestrianized/buses & taxis only, and the parks to the right (east), were part of the re-building after the WW2 blitz.

Houndwell & Hoglands Parks, the nearest to West Quay, are the most bland, Hoglands is just a big green. But they improve as you head up Above Bar & the nicest is probably East Park (aka Andrews Park). In the top corner of East Park & facing Above Bar is a memorial to the engineers on Titanic.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1483&bih=817&q=East+Park+Southampton&oq=East+Park+Southampton&gs_l=img.12..0.4449.14138.0.16235.21.12.0.9.9.0.90.762.12.12.0....0...1ac.1.41.img..0.21.786.9QrABjijrrA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=k6LhCdKKbt_P_M%253A%3BxUAPgfXpM3UNXM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fs0.geograph.org.uk%252Fphotos%252F02%252F32%252F023233_2304fc2f.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.geograph.org.uk%252Fphoto%252F23233%3B640%3B427

Plenty of take-outs all the way up Above Bar.

Opposite East Park & overlooking Watts Park is the Civic Centre, which incorporates an Art Gallery and the fairly new Sea City Museum. The museum majors on Titanic, it has very very few artefacts but interesting dioramas of life on board & the people who sailed her. Worth an hour or so if you have the time. http://www.seacitymuseum.co.uk/

The West Quay Mall is to the left (west) of the main shopping street, called Above Bar. Above Bar, which is now mainly pedestrianized/buses & taxis only, and the parks to the right (east), were part of the re-building after the WW2 blitz.

Houndwell & Hoglands Parks, the nearest to West Quay, are the most bland, Hoglands is just a big green. But they improve as you head up Above Bar & the nicest is probably East Park (aka Andrews Park). In the top corner of East Park & facing Above Bar is a memorial to the engineers on Titanic.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1483&bih=817&q=East+Park+Southampton&oq=East+Park+Southampton&gs_l=img.12..0.4449.14138.0.16235.21.12.0.9.9.0.90.762.12.12.0....0...1ac.1.41.img..0.21.786.9QrABjijrrA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=k6LhCdKKbt_P_M%253A%3BxUAPgfXpM3UNXM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fs0.geograph.org.uk%252Fphotos%252F02%252F32%252F023233_2304fc2f.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.geograph.org.uk%252Fphoto%252F23233%3B640%3B427

Plenty of take-outs all the way up Above Bar.

Opposite East Park & overlooking Watts Park is the Civic Centre, which incorporates an Art Gallery and the fairly new Sea City Museum. The museum majors on Titanic, it has very very few artefacts but interesting dioramas of life on board & the people who sailed her. Worth an hour or so if you have the time. http://www.seacitymuseum.co.uk/

Thanks so much. It looks like we may skip the mall (unless there's something we need) and go to the park and the museum. There's a link on the museum website to a "Southampton Old Town Walk" brochure which has a bunch of neat places to visit.

I wonder how many people just stay on the ship on a turnaround day and don't bother to find out about the history of Southampton.

Thanks so much. It looks like we may skip the mall (unless there's something we need) and go to the park and the museum. There's a link on the museum website to a "Southampton Old Town Walk" brochure which has a bunch of neat places to visit.

I wonder how many people just stay on the ship on a turnaround day and don't bother to find out about the history of Southampton.

Beware, the map on that "old town walk" site is out-of-date.

But only by about 400 years. :D

This is truly excellent detail John...thank you so very much. I have now prepared a mud-map from your directions.

I "saw" the park on the Google steepview but never realised the Titanic museum was so close.

We're looking forward to exploring on our own...it's not such a daunting task when you can access CC members like yourself on the other side of the world :)

Cheers,

This is truly excellent detail John...thank you so very much. I have now prepared a mud-map from your directions.

I "saw" the park on the Google steepview but never realised the Titanic museum was so close.

We're looking forward to exploring on our own...it's not such a daunting task when you can access CC members like yourself on the other side of the world :)

Cheers,

No worries, glad to help, it's what CC is all about.:)

Was grateful to your countrymen on CC who were very helpful with our little jaunt around New South Wales in January.

And they hardly mentioned the Ashes :D

Edited by John Bull

There's no free shuttle (and almost certainly no payable shuttle either), but the walk through the docks is safe, mainly on sidewalks. It's a 20 - 25 minute walk from Ocean Terminal to West Quay Mall, pretty simple, level ground, tolerably interesting.

If you're feeling lazy there will be plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal, the five minute ride will cost about £6 to £8. Plenty of taxis ranked at West Quay Mall too, if you buy more than you intended.

There's a Uni-link bus service from the port gate to West Quay Mall. route U1. It runs from the National Oceanography Centre in the port & is used almost-exclusively by university students but they are public buses. Fare will be pennies.

Thank you for this info JB. Despite all efforts to date, we still have nothing booked for turnaround days. This looks like a perfect, low impact way to see Southampton.

Beware, the map on that "old town walk" site is out-of-date.

But only by about 400 years. :D

Good thing I don't expect to see a "new" wall. :) I've used Google Earth's "street view" to look at some of the areas. Being from the US where we get excited if something is 200 years old the idea of walking on top of a wall that's more than 400 years old is really neat. My camera is going to get a workout.

Good thing I don't expect to see a "new" wall. :) I've used Google Earth's "street view" to look at some of the areas. Being from the US where we get excited if something is 200 years old the idea of walking on top of a wall that's more than 400 years old is really neat. My camera is going to get a workout.

Yes, the map is about 400 years old.

But the city's defences are much older, the Bargate was started in 1180, the city walls were built & strengthened over the next 200 - 300 years.

Oldest buildings in the city are God's Tower (started 1400) which you'll walk past between Dock Gate 4 and Town Quay and which houses a small archaeological museum, the medieval merchant's house (about 1490) in French St, and the wool house (about 1417) on the corner of Town Quay & Bugle Street (just past French St).

I guess we get a bit blasé about our history. :rolleyes:

Hi

We have stayed in Southampton several times before cruises and there is plenty to do for the day. This link may be helpful.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/United_Kingdom/England/Hampshire/Southampton-305277/Things_To_Do-Southampton-TG-C-1.html.

Hope link works.

I recommend a visit to the Red Lion pub on the High Street for lunch and a drink.

The Red Lion is an extremely historic Inn

Cheers Selswick

What's the best way to get to the West Quay Shopping centre?

Your question has been answered Kinkacruiser as above. We sail from Southampton usually and always stop the night before. We walk up to the town via the park and head up into the shopping area in the High Street. We have have always found it to be pleasant start to the holiday.

I just searched on Southampton Town wall and it threw up a really interesting pdf of the old town and fortifications.

The High Street in England was nearly always the main street of the town, except where I am living in Cornwall where it is usually called Fore Street.

Enjoy your trip.

I was in Southampton, just for a day, about a year ago before a cruise and found plenty to do.

The shopping center has a good variety of stores/shops, there is an Ikea not far if you like that type of store, the walk along the historic wall is very interesting and informative, the parks are nice too. IMO it is all walkable.

Another idea for a meal and a drink is the Duke of Wellington. We had a pre-cruise get together there and really had a good time.

Happy and safe cruising! :)

clb

I was in Southampton, just for a day, about a year ago before a cruise and found plenty to do.

The shopping center has a good variety of stores/shops, there is an Ikea not far if you like that type of store, the walk along the historic wall is very interesting and informative, the parks are nice too. IMO it is all walkable.

Another idea for a meal and a drink is the Duke of Wellington. We had a pre-cruise get together there and really had a good time.

Happy and safe cruising! :)

clb

I'd noticed the Duke of Wellington using Google Earth and had it pegged as a possible stop for lunch. :D

Hey JB.

We will be at Southampton (turn around day) on Sun 11 May. We normally spend the day with friends from Brighton, but this time will be on our own. If the weather is OK we will probably just take a long walk (towards West Quay). If you are around that Sunday, and have a few hours, we could meet somewhere for a pint.

Hank

@JB

Is there a current website for the Red Lion Pub? I am not able to find one….Thanks

I don't think the Red Lion has ever had its own website, though it features on a number of other websites - pub guides, real ale guides, local newspaper (Southern Echo) features, websites of historic buildings, hauntings & such. And TripAdvisor (pretty well-rated) & probably other eats review sites.

Here's a few:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d2188432-Reviews-The_Red_Lion_Pub-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/leisure/pubs/4089380.The_Red_Lion__High_Street__Southampton/

http://www.southernghostsociety.co.uk/past-ghost-hunts/ghost-hunt-red-lion-southampton.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Southampton (scroll down to Medieval)

Can't remember the last time I went in there, but I have seen their menu fairly recently - typical pub fayre (incl fish & chips, meat & ale pies, bangers & mash) at typical pub prices.

Red Lion is a very common pub name in the UK, there are three in Southampton, and two in the High Street of nearby towns. So make sure that references are to the Red Lion, High Street Southampton.

It's in the High Street, between the waterfront at Town Quay and the Bargate, and not far from the Medieval Merchants House.

........................................................................................

The Duke of Wellington is in Bugle Street, just behind the Medieval Merchants House, and on the route in my earlier post.

http://www.thedukeatsouthampton.co.uk/

and on a few independent websites:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/leisure/pubs/4129422.Duke_of_Wellington__Southampton/

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d3244804-Reviews-Duke_of_Wellington-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html (similar rating to Red Lion)

Last ate there last summer, decent meal, sensible pub prices.

There's a third historic pub in the area, just up the road from the Duke of Wellington. Called the Juniper Berry -for a short while it was called the Bosuns Locker. I rate it as poor but that's just my opinion.

............................................................................................

Walking the City Wall - My Screw-up..

I was that way today & checked it out. Although you can ascend the Wall near Westgate Hall you can't walk the wall past it - you have to come back down the same way.

So amend that route to:

Up French Street to the Medieval Merchant's House. Take the footpath alongside it & in 75 yards it will bring you to Bugle Street, by the Duke of Wellington.

Cross Bugle Street to see the Westgate / Westgate Hall (75 yards) then return to Bugle Street & walk up it 100 yards to the Tudor House.

Carry on past the Tudor House for 75 yards & opposite the Titanic pub take the footpath between modern houses. In 75 yards this takes you to a break in the Wall. Turn right & beyond half-a-dozen modern houses are steps up onto the Wall, which you can walk to West Quay Mall & the Bargate.

Edited by John Bull

Hey JB.

We will be at Southampton (turn around day) on Sun 11 May. We normally spend the day with friends from Brighton, but this time will be on our own. If the weather is OK we will probably just take a long walk (towards West Quay). If you are around that Sunday, and have a few hours, we could meet somewhere for a pint.

Hank

Hi Hank.

Love to.

Need to check out for any commitments that day. When do you leave home?

Hi Hank.

Love to.

Need to check out for any commitments that day. When do you leave home?

We are leaving on Saturday, but will have access the internet (with lots of free internet time) on the ship.

Hank

We are leaving on Saturday, but will have access the internet (with lots of free internet time) on the ship.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Diary blank & decks cleared for your turnaround day next sunday 11th.

Will have a car (four seats). Happy to meet up for a swift pint, or the full-day guided tour, or anything in-between

My e-mail

chris@cneal6(dot)wanadoo(dot)co(dot)uk

Regards

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for your information and directions to the Mall. I googled the "West Gate Mall" and it does not look like it has anyplace that we would be able to buy wine before boarding the ship. Is there anyplace along the way, or around the port, that we would be able to walk to and pick up a couple bottles of wine?