Holland America Intros Dive-In Burgers and Dogs

LauraS

LOVED the Freestyle burger on our Westerdam cruise in April. My wife and I are both vegetarian and found these much better than the dry black bean burgers offered on the other ships. The fries with the Dive-In sauce were delicious!!! Enjoyed them around noon each day and do like the pager system. The wait was about 10 minutes. Big improvement! Sorry they didn't yet have them on the Zaandam Alaska cruise a couple of weeks ago.

rare or med-rare? Nathan's franks are kosher like ny dogs.

I grew up on Nathans franks, if those are supposed to be, they sure didn't taste like it. Did not like the hot dog at all.

The burger they'll do however you like it, with whatever you want on (or not on) it.

Beef brisket must be an 'American' thing, as I've never heard of it! :confused:

Yeah, but Americans don't know what pea meal is:D:D:D

I had the hot dog on the Maasdam, and it was far superior to the " old" version. The taco bar was still there, and still in use. What was missing was Pizza...

DW and I very much enjoyed the Dive-In burgers, the fries and the sauce (which i'm going to try to replicate). Also liked the buzzer system which worked well, I don't understand why anybody would rather stand and wait.

Edited by EdBed

We are just back from our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Hubby and I both loved this new addition. We both liked both the burgers and the hot dogs, and had them a few times, which we would not often do! The Freestyle (vegetarian) burger was also good - I tried that. And the buzzers were a plus so you could sit down with a drink while you waited. But trust me, the wait was not long at all. Four thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed the Dive In onboard Zuiderdam last week. I sampled the Canon Ball, DW tried the Hot Dog, and Grandson ate the Portabella Mushroom burger. I enjoyed the my burger, although the bun was cold. DW enjoyed the dog. I tried a bite of the portabella mushroom burger and it was delish! We all liked the fries, didn't try the sauce. One thing to be aware of is that the Dive In closes prior to the Lido opening for dinner service. So, if a burger is your thing, stop by the Dive In prior to 5:30 PM!

Anyone know if the Dive In is available on the Veendam yet? Boarding Saturday for a 14 day cruise and this sounds great.

It is. We enjoyed it a couple of times on our May 24 Canada/New England cruise.

It is. We enjoyed it a couple of times on our May 24 Canada/New England cruise.

How was the cruise? Any tips for the ports? We leave Quebec City on Sunday on this cruise and then hit all the same ports on our way back. So anything we miss on our way to Boston we will catch on our way back to Quebec City:). Only wish we had more time in Boston:(

How was the cruise? Any tips for the ports? We leave Quebec City on Sunday on this cruise and then hit all the same ports on our way back. So anything we miss on our way to Boston we will catch on our way back to Quebec City:). Only wish we had more time in Boston:(

Overall, we enjoyed the trip, but we were, frankly, disappointed about some things that were important to us. I don't want to belabor the point, as I posted a trip report here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42942275#post42942275

If you'd like any specific information, feel free to email me at MrOZDelaware@gmail.com

Two words... Lobster roll.

Enjoyed the burgers on the Rotterdam last week. They were delicious. On my survey I did suggest to HAL they should look for a procedure to disinfect the pagers. People walk around with the pager in hand, and of course burgers tend to be eaten by hand. Did not feel very hygienic to me.

Check out the latest Holland America news from Cruise Critic:

Holland America Intros Dive-In Burgers and Dogs

Glad to hear this. I would hate to see the grill disappear. It can be the only place to get food after a late shore excursion return, other than room service. I will have to try the guac/chicken sandwich.

I had this on the Noordam, soaked in the hot tub while I waited for the page to go off. I think the pager is a good system.

I liked the burger, but I didn't like the hot dog. Maybe I'm too spoiled by NY Kosher hot dogs.

I'm with you. I am very particular about my dogs!!!

This is a huge improvement over the grill!!!

We usually ate at the grill once each cruise, but did Dive In 3 times. (4 times for DW because she didn't want grilled salmon.). Burgers and chicken were great. The fries were amazing! Pager system is a wonderful idea.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

DW AND I HAVE BOOKED ON RYNDAM FOR 21 days B2B on Nov 30.

Am looking forward to the new set up for burgers etc on the LIDO.

We live about 15 minutes from port in Jax fl so do a lot of 5 day trips

on the Carnival ship there between our real cruises on HAL.

Since Carnival owns HAL I've always wondered why they don't check

each others operations for ideas on how to improve things.

Nobody is perfect but it is nice to see that they are heading in the right direction.

I hope it's good bye to the precooked cardboard burgers soaked in hot water till ordered. The fries are always great (sweet tater and cheese ).

Now I'm wondering if the new beach towels will get you any drier than the old plain dark blue ones?? I noted that the price has gone UP.

Does Holland not have pizza available?

Now that is a sensitive issue. HAL does have something they call Pizza and it even has some resemblance to pizza. But I have had a lot of good pizza in my life, and I know my pizza. And that stuff that HAL serves (which has often sat under a hot lamp for an hour) is a very poor substitute for pizza. For years, we have urged HAL to send their staff over to Princess to learn how to make good pizza. Now that HAL has made some needed improvements at their grills, perhaps they would consider doing the same with pizza. The formula is quite simple. Pizza should be made from fresh dough (made every day) which is cut and shaped where it is baked. And any pizza not served within a few minutes out of the oven should be used to feed the fish.

It seems that different lines do different things well. When on a Princess ship we actually look forward to "Princess Pizza" which is good enough to compete with most great land-based pizza. On HAL we usually head to the sandwich station where we can have a decent sandwich made to our specifications. We will usually try HAL pizza early in every cruise (hoping that HAL has learned how to make the stuff) but seldom go back a second time.

And now we can move on to HAL ice cream! Ooops..we will save that for another day :)

Hank