Weather in Scandinavia/Russia in May/June?

Hi.

I know the whole worldwide weather is changing (& every year will be different) but can anyone give me an idea as to how warm it may be the end of May beginning of June?

We are on the Eclipse on 24t May (first with Celebrity) going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg etc & just need to know whether to pack all jeans/trousers for day time or summer wear.

Hi.

I know the whole worldwide weather is changing (& every year will be different) but can anyone give me an idea as to how warm it may be the end of May beginning of June?

We are on the Eclipse on 24t May (first with Celebrity) going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg etc & just need to know whether to pack all jeans/trousers for day time or summer wear.

We were on the Constellation Baltic cruise that started May 20, 2013 from Amsterdam which included these same ports. For the most part my husband and I wore jeans and a light jacket. Under sunny skies it was warm, but for the most part we needed the jackets.

Enjoy!

We did that cruise in June 2011 (on board for the summer solstice). While we got some warm days they were never warm enough for just shorts and t-shirts. We mostly wore jeans with a light shirt during the day and layered with a light jacket or a cardigan. In a couple of the ports we even needed slightly warmer clothing due to the wind. Layers are best, then you'll be ready for anything.

We did our Baltic cruise sailing from England, May 15-27, and got very lucky with the weather for the most part.

All but one day in port was sunny! We started out needing a light jacket in the morning, and it warmed up to short sleeves weather by afternoon. We all wore jeans each day.

On the other hand, that non-sunny day had on/off showers and a high temperature of 45! And our cruise departed from Harwich, England and we were pelted that morning with sleet/hail while we waited in line to get into the cruise terminal!

As others had mentioned, you'll need to think layers and be ready for anything. Does Celebrity still give you an umbrella in your cabin? If not, you'll need to bring one. Rain is common there and we were lucky that our rainy days were mostly while at sea.

Ours was the first week in May, so it was a bit chancy.

The weather was glorious for most of the cruise until it changed on the second SPB day (I think our Alla guide had checked the weather forecast, cos all we went to all the outdoor sights/boat ride etc on day one & a wet day two was no big deal).

Helsinki was cold. Really cold. Gave up on walking plans & stuck with cafes & a tram ride. A combination of early-season & unlucky with a cold front.

That left only sea-days & Bruges in poor weather. And it always rains when I go to Bruges :rolleyes:

I'd have thought for your cruise summer wear, plus a pair of jeans, sweater & jacket.

And, most important, a light waterproof.

JB :)

Hi.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891935

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891929

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950674&highlight=weather

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025252

Thank you for starting this thread. We will also be in the Baltics in May/June...but mostly May.

The above links talk about weather in mostly July and August. Doesn't seem that the weather differences much with season, although the August cruises seem to be a little warmer.

I also heard that most buildings in places like St. Petersburg do not have air. Are the buildings heated? :eek:

Edited by Iamthesea

I'm going in early May. have decided to bring shorts just in case but mostly stick to loose sweatpants/stretchy pants. jeans can get constricting so I prefer something more comfy.Am going to use my FitFlops but sneakers will be a backup if those are not working out well due to rain or cold. checked the May weather for all these ports and 50-60 should be about what you get. rainfall is 14 days per month so you have a 50-50 shot.

does anyone know if Princess provides umbrellas? I am thinking not.

I'm going in early May. have decided to bring shorts just in case but mostly stick to loose sweatpants/stretchy pants. jeans can get constricting so I prefer something more comfy.Am going to use my FitFlops but sneakers will be a backup if those are not working out well due to rain or cold. checked the May weather for all these ports and 50-60 should be about what you get. rainfall is 14 days per month so you have a 50-50 shot.

does anyone know if Princess provides umbrellas? I am thinking not.

St. Petersburg means a lot of walking, and most of the other European ports in the Baltic Sea have uneven pavement, cobbled streets etc. I always try to pack sensible shoes or sneakers for walking all those miles on uneven surfaces. And tramping for 10 hours in open shoes, flipflops, sandals in St. Petersburg rain ( which can happen) is no fun.

The weather really differs from year to year - we have had May and June with glorious sunny and even hot summer weather and a year later we had rain, rain , rain, fog, drizzle and thunderstorms especially in May.

So let's keep our fingers crossed for the sunshine to happen again this year!!

Thank you all for your replies.

I will take a mixture of clothing & as some have said just layer if need be.

Really looking forward to trying Celebrity (on Eclipse) as I've read a lot of good reviews.

Normally go on P&O but the itinery & free drink package on Celebrity made us try another line for a change.

R

wanted to mention, FitFlops are specifically made for walking/comfort. I walked all over Japan in them and it was amazing. if you are looking for an attractive sandal which you can sight-see your heart out in look for FitFlops.

Hi.

We're on this same cruise, also our first with celebrity. I haven't seen you on the Roll Call here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1812379

Why not sign up and join in the meet and greet at sailaway.

We're packing for layers and will have shorts and t-shirts just in case. We nearly got caught out in Alaska before because it was hot. Not going to get caught out this time. :rolleyes:

Mumsey and Ronay, this is Knolmom. Looking for info about the weather and what to wear and funny that I found you on this forum. Posted tonight about DenRus excursion to Faberge Museum to see if there is any interest. Oh, and yes, layers. We are packing as if we are doing Alaska/ Vancouver, much as we did in 2006. Slightly dressier because we are doing London/ Paris pre and post cruise. Thinking about the shoes, though. I wear sandals about 11 months a year, so, what to do?

hey I see you are from Suffern... I'm originally from Bardonia! anyway, I live in CA and wear sandals nearly every day. I'm planning to wear FitFlops for the Baltic trip and use sneakers if it's too chilly. not sure if it's the best strategy but that's what I decided to do.

hey I see you are from Suffern... I'm originally from Bardonia! anyway, I live in CA and wear sandals nearly every day. I'm planning to wear FitFlops for the Baltic trip and use sneakers if it's too chilly. not sure if it's the best strategy but that's what I decided to do.

I am a FitFlop addict - this is a BRAND...not to be confused with regular flip flops! They are amazing...but honestly, I don't think they are good enough for the hard cobblestone streets in the Baltic. I have a pair of KEENS that I have worn all over Israel, Greece, Prague and more. I wear them with socks or peds and they don't rub at all. They have huge tire soles and are fab for walking! I have super high-maintenance feet and so far - never a blister or complaint! I will most definitely be wearing my FitFlops all over the ship, though!

• 3 weeks later...

My sister and I cruised late May/early June last year. I'd second everyone else's suggestion to pack layers. We had everything from cool rainy weather to unusually warm mid-70s in St. Petersburg. And the day we were in Stockholm we had both rain and sun. I'd say the high probably averaged around the low/mid 60s F.

And like everyone else, I'd highly recommend shoes that you have already broken in and that you know will be comfortable to wear for lots of walking multiple days in a row.