Starting to put cruise together for LA and need suggestions

marcyjane

Starting to work on putting a trip together for next year 2015. Yes I know it's early.

Looking for information on hotel in LA near a good area to be able to do some sightseeing in walking distance and suggestions for good tour company. Would like to spend a couple of day upon returning from the cruise.

Also is LAX the best airport to fly into for a cruise out of Port of LA/Long Beach.

Also a suggestion for shuttle from airport to hotel near cruise port.

I know I'm asking a lot of question, but will take time to start putting this all together.

Thanks in advance for you time and information on any places you stayed, shuttle services you used, and how to see the most sites in 2 days in LA, Burbank, Hollywood.

Thanks,

Marcy:)

All those questions are covered with a little reading down the board. For example, if you fly into Long Beach or SNA (doable, but it limits your direct flights and increases connections), a taxi will probably be your transport of choice. Otherwise, SuperShuttle is commonly used out of LAX.

For your sightseeing in LA - decide what you want to see. Are you going to rent a car and drive? Do you want a place where you can walk around at night? We have a very spread out city - the ports (Long Beach and San Pedro) are not really close to a lot of the sites to see. If you are not renting a car you need to choose a hotel where you can meet tours - private or big bus.

Which airport? Look at transportation costs from the airports to the hotels you choose and to cost of flying.

Hi,

The best place to get LA info about hotels,sightseeing etc. is on the sister site to this one, Trip Advisor.

It will have lists of hotels with reviews and there are forums like this where you can ask questions.

Here is a link to the LA forum :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Angeles_California.html

There will be lots of info for you to read on the right side of the page. It will tell you about areas to stay,hotels, things to see etc.

The closest airport to the Long Beach cruise port is Long Beach but not sure if your local airport has flights that go into it. LAX would be next.

Starting to work on putting a trip together for next year 2015. Yes I know it's early.

Looking for information on hotel in LA near a good area to be able to do some sightseeing in walking distance and suggestions for good tour company. Would like to spend a couple of day upon returning from the cruise.

Also is LAX the best airport to fly into for a cruise out of Port of LA/Long Beach.

Also a suggestion for shuttle from airport to hotel near cruise port.

I know I'm asking a lot of question, but will take time to start putting this all together.

Thanks in advance for you time and information on any places you stayed, shuttle services you used, and how to see the most sites in 2 days in LA, Burbank, Hollywood.

Thanks,

Marcy:)

Marcy,

I'll try to be a little more complete here...But there are a lot of questions/a lot of variables...

First, Airports:

There are five airports that service the LA area (and it's a big area):

LAX: One of the five or six busiest airports in the world. It is not far from the pier--about 20 miles. It is also fairly close to the sights in Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the West Side of Los Angeles (10 miles or less from Santa Monica/Beverly Hills et al). It also has, by far, the most flights to the most places at the most times. Negative is that it is BIG and intimidating to some.

Long Beach: A little closer to the port (16 miles). But not all that close to the tourist sites. Very small airport, very good choice IF one can find the flights for those merely popping in and out for a cruise.

Burbank (Bob Hope): 36 miles from the port, but VERY close to Hollywood/Burbank/Universal City tourist sites. Small, very convenient airport if doing pre or post cruise in this area.

John Wayne (Orange County): 33 miles from the port, medium sized airport. Very, very far from the sites in West Los Angeles and Burbank/Hollywood/Universal, but excellent choice for those visiting Disneyland/Orange County (the county to the South of Los Angeles).

Ontario: 60 miles from the port. Not really convenient for much of anything--unless you have family out there...

More than likely, LAX will be the easiest choice for you--more direct flights from most places, convenient location, easiest transportation options to get to the ship or most other places...

Where to stay:

Pre-cruise, especially if it's just one night before the cruise...and I really recommend getting in at least one night early, just to avoid stress and the chances of delayed flights or other travel hassles messing up your plans...I'd stay that one night in San Pedro--right near the cruise port (unless you are cruising Carnival or select Princess cruises which cruise out of Long Beach, in which case I'd stay in Long Beach). Just a note here: The Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor is a VERY large harbor--the 3rd busiest in the WORLD! It is six to eight miles across and there are TWO cruise terminals--one in Long Beach on the Eastern edge of the harbor, used primarily by Carnival...and one across the other side on the Western edge of the harbor in San Pedro used by almost everyone else...

If you are cruising out of San Pedro, the two most recommended hotels are the Crowne Plaza San Pedro and the Doubletree San Pedro--both nice hotels in good locations. Both provide free shuttles to the pier--but not from the Airport. You will need a shuttle or other transportation from the airport to the hotel. If cruising out of Long Beach, pick one of these Long Beach hotels: Westin, Renaissance, Hyatt, Hyatt at the Pike, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown or Hilton...Don't stray from this list with rare exception--Long Beach is a big city and there are good and bad areas...These hotels are in the best cruise tourist area--close to the pier and with free shuttle services all over the immediate area--and walking distance to local sights, shops and restaurants.

For after the cruise with multiple days, you will want to be somewhere other than the harbor area. Where you stay may depend on whether or not you want to rent a car. Renting a car gives you a bit more freedom and choice, but it also may mean you are braving LA traffic, parking and other issues during your stay. No car means you are dependent on various means of transportation--and public transportation is NOT a good choice in LA for the most part.

Assuming no car, here are my best recommendations:

1) Santa Monica: Perhaps the premier tourist location in the LA area. Very upscale beach town. Great weather. Lots of tourist sites right there. A very good local bus system (for some local trips). The HOHO tour bus stops here. Some VERY nice hotels (I've actually stayed in a couple of these myself and can personally vouch for them). The area you want is near the beach, Santa Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade (the very nice walking/shopping/restaurant promenade). Top Hotels: Loews, Le Merigot, Shutters at the Beach, Fairmont Miramar, Casa del Mar. Great locations, very nice hotels. Downside for some is that they can be a bit pricey. To others, well worth the price. Secondary choices: Wyndham, Doubletree, Sheraton Delfina. Sheraton and Doubletree locations are a little further from the action and leave a little to be desired. Wyndham is old and right on the freeway--but also about to be torn down and rebuilt (not sure of dates). There are also several smaller hotels in this area, mostly on Ocean Avenue--but read reviews carefully. If you stay in this area, you do not need a car--just a shuttle from the ship and then back to the airport. You can use the HOHO or other tour company (they all pick up at Santa Monica hotels) to see the sights of Hollywood, etc....and there is lots to see and do right in Santa Monica.

2) Universal City. If your main interest is in the Hollywood/Universal sights, you can just stay here. There is a Sheraton and a Hilton right on the Universal property (The Beverly Garland across the freeway would be an alternative choice--though not as convenient, but I believe they have a shuttle to Universal). The Metro Red Line will take you from here directly into the heart of Hollywood. Universal is also a bit more upscale than Hollywood proper--which, despite the glamorous name, has become a bit seedy, rundown and sometimes dangerous of late. In Hollywood, the only hotels I really recommend are: Loews Hollywood--which is right in the Hollywood and Highland complex with Grauman's Chinese, etc. and the old stately Hollywood Roosevelt. There are a few smaller hotels in the area near Hollywood and Highland which MAY be acceptable--the Magic Castle, for one, comes to mind...

3) Marina del Rey/Venice Beach. Beween LAX and Santa Monica. Not quite as convenient as Santa Monica, but a little less pricey (except, perhaps, the Ritz Carlton). There's a lot to do around here and it's nice...but you lack the convenience of the HOHO bus if you choose...but a good alternative nonetheless...Thre are a few hotels right in the Marina or near the beach along Washington Blvd. Walk to the Venice Boardwalk. Local bus or cab to Santa Monica...or rent a bike and ride up the beach...Check with tour companies about pick-ups...

IF you have a rental car, there are other alternatives that make sense to many--but be very wary...Run your options by this board. Many hotel websites make it sound as though they are great places to stay--but many are either inconvenient, bad hotels or, even more likely, in very BAD areas...There may be some very questionable neighborhoods not all that far from the good ones...Only we locals know...Trust us...Among the areas that MAY make sense with a car: The South Bay (Redondo/Manattan Beach), Culver City (North of LAX, near the West side, but less pricey--specifically the Doubletree, Four Points, Courtyard or Extended Stay), the Sportsmen's Lodge in Studio City, West Hollywood/Beverly Hills.

Let us know aout your exact plans or desires vis-a-vis sites and thoughts on car/transportation...and your budget... and we'll see if we can offer some more advice.

Edited by Bruin Steve

You definitely got some good info here. A major thing to consider about your pre-cruise hotel is which port you're sailing from. As stated above, Carnival almost exclusively uses the berth (there's just one) at the Port of Long Beach. The other cruislines almost exclusively uses the World Cruise Center at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. The two ports aren't too far from each other, but you'll need to know which one you're going to; else, you risk getting on a hotel shuttle that takes you to the wrong one or getting a taxi driver who assumes which one you're going to.

The hotels that Bruin Steve is recommending are the two ones in San Pedro that gets the best buzz here and the good Long Beach ones not too far away from the Port of LB. Some hotels will have shuttles to the port closest to them.

But you've noticed that he didn't recommend downtown LA (which is really not a good place to stay unless you're at a convention there -- and even then, many businesspersons will stay elsewhere and use a rental or taxi to get to their meetings) or a LAX hotel (strip malls -- in the literal sense:o -- nearby and that's it). There's also other areas of LA that are in gang areas, rundown areas or just plain industrialized areas (parts of LB fall into the last category). You can go a mile from a nice area such Beverly Hills, Century City, etc. and it's a whole 'nother country.

But there are some really nice areas that are fun to stay in and shop in. Hollywood is an example -- it's going through a renaissance. There's some tour companies such as Sunseekers (I think?) that offer tours where they take you to the major attractions such as Farmer's Market (trust me, that is one of the top tourism spots of LA -- it's been around for more than 75 years), Hollywood, and the like. That'll be good for a post-cruise stay when you have a full day free.

There's also the Warner Brothers tour (that you would make a reservation for) in Burbank. If you get TV taping tickets, be aware that it is a time commitment for at least a few hours -- more tickets than seats are given out so the lineup starts in the afternoon. Tapings often start and stop so they usually last longer than the actual show that gets aired.

For your sightseeing in LA - decide what you want to see. Are you going to rent a car and drive? Do you want a place where you can walk around at night? We have a very spread out city - the ports (Long Beach and San Pedro) are not really close to a lot of the sites to see. If you are not renting a car you need to choose a hotel where you can meet tours - private or big bus.

Which airport? Look at transportation costs from the airports to the hotels you choose and to cost of flying.

Thanks we will be going on Celebrity so that will be Long Beach port I believe. Although the web site of Celebrity says: Port of Los Angles pretty much fiquried that out from reading here.

Thank you each and everyone so much:D. At work but printed off and will read tonight when I get home. Again Thanks so much!

Will to going on Celebrity out of Long Beach Port I believe. Flying in to LAX (southwest) Staying close to the port night before and then, the hotel in LA upon return for tours the next couple of days.

Thanks again so much for all the good information and saves from hours of looking and trying to find information.:):D

Thanks we will be going on Celebrity so that will be Long Beach port I believe. Although the web site of Celebrity says: Port of Los Angles pretty much fiquried that out from reading here.

Will to going on Celebrity out of Long Beach Port I believe.

NO!!!

If CELEBRITY, then most definitely, it is SAN PEDRO, not Long Beach...

It's CARNIVAL that uses the Long Beach terminal almost exclusively--with the exception of the occasional Princess or Cunard sailing (maybe only less than 5 such exceptions per year)...

Book that night before at the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree...Or, if you are into Priceline, bid 3.5 stars, San Pedro ONLY...

The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro...walking distance from the pier--but you'll take their free shuttle with your luggage. Lots of restaurants within just a couple of blocks of the hotel. I highly recommend San Pedro Brewing Co. (They are actually catering an event I am going to this Saturday!)...Lots of other choices as well.

Doubletree is along the waterfront further down the channel...on the yacht marina...There's a good seafood place nearby--22nd Street Landing...but the hotel will shuttle you to other local restaurants...and to the pier...

Both are very nice hotels and are great for a pre-cruise night...In the morning, you can sleep in and relax, knowing you have a very short ride over to the pier...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Will to going on Celebrity out of Long Beach Port I believe. Flying in to LAX (southwest) Staying close to the port night before and then, the hotel in LA upon return for tours the next couple of days.

This post raised my blood pressure about 20 points....thought I missed something. West Coast cruises are an obsession of mine.

I was not aware of and currently don't see any Celebrity ships in LA for calendar year 2015. A few things out of San Francisco, and a few out of San Diego. The 'Coastals' are cancelled for 2015. (We have Century here in Monterey tomorrow).

BTW, you can't book Southwest flights beyond October 31st 2014 right now.

This post raised my blood pressure about 20 points....thought I missed something. West Coast cruises are an obsession of mine.

I was not aware of and currently don't see any Celebrity ships in LA for calendar year 2015. A few things out of San Francisco, and a few out of San Diego. The 'Coastals' are cancelled for 2015. (We have Century here in Monterey tomorrow).

BTW, you can't book Southwest flights beyond October 31st 2014 right now.

Sorry if I made your blood pressure go up!!:eek: Yes, I know I can't book anything right now, I'm just getting information collected!!! Talked with Celebrity a few weeks ago and they told me that the 2015 schedule will not be released until sometime in August of 2014. With the information that I'm getting I can look at hotels, tours and shuttle services and other things til cruise site opens bookings, and also I travel southwest all the time and I know I can't do that either. But thanks for looking out for me.

We are sailing Celebrity out of San Pedro in 2 weeks. Flying into LAX 3 days early and using SuperShuttle to get to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. Have a tour of LA booked with SunSeeker tours. Have read many good reviews for them and they will pick us up at the Crowne Plaza. Will post more after we return.

Have free tickets for Arsenio Hall show one day. Still have to figure out the best way to get to that since we won't have a car. Anyone have suggestions?

Can't wait!!!!

We are sailing Celebrity out of San Pedro in 2 weeks. Flying into LAX 3 days early and using SuperShuttle to get to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. Have a tour of LA booked with SunSeeker tours. Have read many good reviews for them and they will pick us up at the Crowne Plaza. Will post more after we return.

Have free tickets for Arsenio Hall show one day. Still have to figure out the best way to get to that since we won't have a car. Anyone have suggestions?

Can't wait!!!!

Thanks so much and have a wonderful trip. I'm having fun starting my hotel and tour searches. We have Marriott points so looking into finding one of there hotels near San Pedro pre cruise and one for post cruise in LA to do some tours following return from cruise a couple of days. Looking forward to your post after you return. Thanks

Marcy

Edited by marcyjane

Okay, when you have a sailing date, you should check the cruise ship calendars for the Port of LA and the Port of LB. If it's Celebrity, the odds are it will be San Pedro. The exception would be if there was work being done on the World Cruise Center in SP and they needed to send a ship over to LB. There's only one berth in LB so Carnival ships would get preference.

Okay' date=' when you have a sailing date, you should check the cruise ship calendars for the Port of LA and the Port of LB. If it's Celebrity, the odds are it will be San Pedro. The exception would be if there was work being done on the World Cruise Center in SP and they needed to send a ship over to LB. There's only one berth in LB so Carnival ships would get preference.[/quote']

Good idea and info. Thank you very much:D