Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Do you know which shared-ride companies will do a ride from FLL to the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 in FTL? The ones I've checked with so far said they either don't do that route (Jiffy Jeff), or don't have availability (QLS).

I know the taxi option is there, but they get really bad reviews on Trip Advisor, so I'm looking for other options. We've never used UBER and I don't see us starting anytime soon. :-)

I was all excited to rent through AVIS so we could skip taxis all days (we'll be in town 2 days before cruising), until I found out the parking prices at the hotel! So expensive to park. You'd think that if you rent a car on site, they would also let you park it either free, or at a reduced cost! :eek:

I think Go Shuttle goes everywhere, and that you might not need reservations, but you pay per person, which costs a lot more than taxi or uber usually, if you are party of more than one. You can reserve online. It's $12.50 per person including luggage and gratuities for a shared ride. It's the same company as Yellow Cab, LOL. This is the shortest ride, 4.6 miles, and about a third of that is the airport road itself! Of course if traffic is heavy and the bridge is up and there are only 2 of you, it might end up cheaper than a taxi, because it is a flat rate.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I would strongly suggest getting the Uber app, even if you only use it for this trip. You really don't need a car rental now that we have Uber, unless you plan on driving really far. I've used it to/from the airport, from the port, and around town. They arrive within minutes and are very courteous. Locals use it all the time when they go out drinking. If you feel unsure, you can post questions here and we'll help you. If they have it where you live, you could do a test ride to a friend's house. My DH is a technophobe and he uses Uber...he was really nervous at first, but he got over it during our first ride.

Regarding the hotel parking and the rental car, the hotel and Avis are separate entities, and it's even possible that the parking is a separate entity also.

Edited by royalcruz

I think Go Shuttle goes everywhere, and that you might not need reservations, but you pay per person, which costs a lot more than taxi or uber usually, if you are party of more than one. You can reserve online. It's $12.50 per person including luggage and gratuities for a shared ride. It's the same company as Yellow Cab, LOL. This is the shortest ride, 4.6 miles, and about a third of that is the airport road itself! Of course if traffic is heavy and the bridge is up and there are only 2 of you, it might end up cheaper than a taxi, because it is a flat rate.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I would strongly suggest getting the Uber app, even if you only use it for this trip. You really don't need a car rental now that we have Uber, unless you plan on driving really far. I've used it to/from the airport, from the port, and around town. They arrive within minutes and are very courteous. Locals use it all the time when they go out drinking. If you feel unsure, you can post questions here and we'll help you. If they have it where you live, you could do a test ride to a friend's house. My DH is a technophobe and he uses Uber...he was really nervous at first, but he got over it during our first ride.

Regarding the hotel parking and the rental car, the hotel and Avis are separate entities, and it's even possible that the parking is a separate entity also.

Thanks, Sharon.

I had previously checked out GO Shuttle. They have a ride share from the airport for $25 for 2, plus 20% tip, but their return trip would need to be a private car at $46 for 2, which is too much waste to me. Do you know about South Florida Shuttle? Looks like they are $30 for 2 each way.

Last night, I did take a look at Uber, both how to use it, and the safety of Fort Lauderdale users. What I found is a lot of complaints about Uber drivers accepting the ride, but then they call you to see where you are going. Once they find out that it's only to a local hotel (about a $12-$14 fare), they refuse the ride. Folks are complaining that they are waiting 40-60 mins on the curb until someone finally agrees to their route. My husband would blow his top by then. Best not to risk it with him!

Since we will be coming in on Friday evening, we wanted to be able to do a lot of "beboppin" around on Saturday, but didn't want to deal with a taxi for every leg. Then I discovered the Sun Trolley. Now I'm trying to learn about the routes, how they run, and from which end they start the Beach Link. Are you a local, by chance?

Thanks for your response!

Julie

Trying to decide which hotel is best between the Hyatt and Embassy Suites, both on 17th. Hyatt seems closer to the ship channel for spotting cruise ships coming and going, but Embassy seems to have more around it as far as restaurants and night life?

any suggestions? How far is Embassy from Hyatt? Can you see the ship channel from Embassy and if not how far is the walk? We are coming from Dallas and won't have a rental car. We are sailing on Princess and not sure which ones they have hotel and shuttle package to and from, but want to be prepared before I call them to see what they have to offer too. thanks

Plug the hotel address into Google Maps and you can see what is around and how far away you are from restaurants/bars/shopping.

did that, thanks. They both look great and both next to places to walk around and eat and drink at.

If anyone has stayed at either of these, would like your input?

did that, thanks. They both look great and both next to places to walk around and eat and drink at.

If anyone has stayed at either of these, would like your input?

We've stayed at both and would only choose the Hyatt 66 between the two. In fact, I would never stay at that Embassy again. It's very busy, loud and chaotic with all the cruisers and the free breakfast is not worth it.

We were at the Hyatt Pier 66 just a couple weeks ago and had a wonderful stay again. The grounds are beautiful and the restaurant by the pool is a great place for breakfast or lunch. Book an upper floor in the tower and you'll have great views of the waterways and cruise ships.

Also, we walked to the shops and Total Wine and it's an easy walk in about 20 minutes. We took an Uber there a few times and also to the ship and the fare was always in the $5 range and never a problem and pickup was always under 5 minutes.

We've stayed at both and would only choose the Hyatt 66 between the two. In fact, I would never stay at that Embassy again. It's very busy, loud and chaotic with all the cruisers and the free breakfast is not worth it.

We were at the Hyatt Pier 66 just a couple weeks ago and had a wonderful stay again. The grounds are beautiful and the restaurant by the pool is a great place for breakfast or lunch. Book an upper floor in the tower and you'll have great views of the waterways and cruise ships.

Also, we walked to the shops and Total Wine and it's an easy walk in about 20 minutes. We took an Uber there a few times and also to the ship and the fare was always in the $5 range and never a problem and pickup was always under 5 minutes.

Thanks, this is what I wanted feed back on. Have you been to Pelican Landing to eat? We weren't sure about walking to Total Wine from the hotel/pier 66, the road in looks busy, but would love to walk around the area over behind Embassy, as well. We enjoy having a drink in the evening and listen to music, any suggestions on a place?

Thanks, this is what I wanted feed back on. Have you been to Pelican Landing to eat? We weren't sure about walking to Total Wine from the hotel/pier 66, the road in looks busy, but would love to walk around the area over behind Embassy, as well. We enjoy having a drink in the evening and listen to music, any suggestions on a place?

We are booked at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 for March. I'm interested to know about Pelican Landing, as well. I hope it's a safe area to be walking around at night. Looks like there's a Dunkin Donuts across the street, but not much else besides those two places.

We've been to Pelican Landing a few times for dinner and drinks and always enjoyed it. It's a nice walk to get there through the marina past Spielberg's yacht. We loved bring on the water watching host traffic.

I also wasn't sure about walking the first time to Harbor Shops & Total Wine, but tried it and have walked it dozens of times now. The roads are busy, but there's crosswalks with timers at every intersection and I never felt unsafe. You'll see lots of people walking, jogging and a few bikers. I've taken Uber back to the hotel after shopping or getting nails done and it's $5 and super easy.

We've been to Shooter's on the waterway and had great food and service!! I believe they have music on certain days too.

I booked our room through Priceline...can I call the hotel to ask for a specific room location like that?

I would definitely call and request the upper tower. I booked directly through Hyatt so was able to choose and the price difference for the tower to the rooms around the marina or pool was under $20.

Btw, I was excited to see a Dunkin Donuts across the street so I went there and it's just a gas station/mini mart with a single case of donuts and limited variety.

You might be able to get a cheaper rate if you sign up for their rewards program or/and if you choose the senior rate. I think its 55+

We have April 9th booked at 208, total 230 with taxes. More then we like to spend but it is high season.

Trying to decide which hotel is best between the Hyatt and Embassy Suites, both on 17th. Hyatt seems closer to the ship channel for spotting cruise ships coming and going, but Embassy seems to have more around it as far as restaurants and night life?

any suggestions? How far is Embassy from Hyatt? Can you see the ship channel from Embassy and if not how far is the walk? We are coming from Dallas and won't have a rental car. We are sailing on Princess and not sure which ones they have hotel and shuttle package to and from, but want to be prepared before I call them to see what they have to offer too. thanks

Looks like you have the same dilemma we had..in the end we booked Hyatt 66 after weeks on searching where to stay. We made our decison purely for the location, we booked a tower high room and are looking forward to our stay,...what are your dates in March? We are cruising on Royal princess on 10th March.

We've been to Pelican Landing a few times for dinner and drinks and always enjoyed it. It's a nice walk to get there through the marina past Spielberg's yacht. We loved bring on the water watching host traffic.

I also wasn't sure about walking the first time to Harbor Shops & Total Wine, but tried it and have walked it dozens of times now. The roads are busy, but there's crosswalks with timers at every intersection and I never felt unsafe. You'll see lots of people walking, jogging and a few bikers. I've taken Uber back to the hotel after shopping or getting nails done and it's $5 and super easy.

We've been to Shooter's on the waterway and had great food and service!! I believe they have music on certain

How long did it take you to walk to the harbor shops? It does look a nice walk.... also Spielbergs yacht? Is this easy to identify lol DH would love to see that.

We've been to Shooter's on the waterway and had great food and service!! I believe they have music on certain days too.

How long did it take you to walk to the harbor shops? It does look a nice walk.... also Spielbergs yacht? Is this easy to identify lol DH would love to see that.

We have stayed a Hyatt 66 many times and liked it. Unfortunately it is already full for our dates in mid March, so we booked the Homewood suites. Anyone with thoughts on this hotel as it is new to us. They do have a shuttle to the port, a night time reception, and breakfast according to website, but I really don't know if it is good or not never having stayed there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The walk is approx 20 minutes.

Here's a pic of the boat right by Pelicans Landing 866c1fefc4eb665958e20a1d614198a7.jpg

It's just under 1 1/2 miles, up and over the Causeway.

You can't miss Spielberg's yacht moored right in front of the Hyatt Pier 66 Marina office and Pelican Landing. It's the biggest duck on the pond. In fact, you can walk right up to it and marvel at all 282 feet. It's for sale if you would like to buy it because he wants a bigger one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190652/I-m-gonna-need-bigger-boat-Steven-Spielberg-selling-120million-282ft-mega-yacht-small.html

We have stayed a Hyatt 66 many times and liked it. Unfortunately it is already full for our dates in mid March, so we booked the Homewood suites. Anyone with thoughts on this hotel as it is new to us. They do have a shuttle to the port, a night time reception, and breakfast according to website, but I really don't know if it is good or not never having stayed there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I told you in another thread, it is an excellent property, almost new, but for some reason they remodeled their reception/breakfast area. I haven't been in it since the remodel, so I don't know exactly what they changed.

It's just under 1 1/2 miles, up and over the Causeway.

You can't miss Spielberg's yacht moored right in front of the Hyatt Pier 66 Marina office and Pelican Landing. It's the biggest duck on the pond. In fact, you can walk right up to it and marvel at all 282 feet. It's for sale if you would like to buy it because he wants a bigger one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190652/I-m-gonna-need-bigger-boat-Steven-Spielberg-selling-120million-282ft-mega-yacht-small.html

WOW hope it's still there when we get there might put in an offer for it ;)