DAM Dollars

newfielover

Actually, the “Dam Dollar” program is alive and well on all of the HAL Grand Voyages. The name has been changed to “Grand Dollars” but the program is exactly the same. Also, the old Dam Dollars have been accepted as part of the Grand Dollar program.

A feature of the program is that the Grand Dollars are good on subsequent Grand Voyages, even if on different ships. This is great for us as we have a bunch of Grand Dollars from our last World Cruise and plan on redeeming them on the Grand South America cruise next year.

Scott & Karen

We participated in quite a few "dam" dollar events and we were never on a team.

The person with the highest score or most points in an event got the most "dam" dollars, next person got a smaller amount, third winner got so many "dam" dollars. The rest of the people got o

ne "dam" dollar just for participating.[/QUOT

If they were not highest scorer in each event that was a team effort, then you were not encouraged to join them for the next team event. I was always happy with just trying to do my best and earn my 1 or more dollars. The fun went out of it when you HAD to win or else. Not my thing.

I don't disagree with what is stated above but I was on one or two cruises where the Dam Dollars handed out were photocopies. So, perhaps, HAL is partially to blame for the "counterfeiting".

Frankly, we never redeemed our dollars because there was the merchandise wasn't that appealing to us.

Call me old fashioned, but I just think it's sad that people would go to such lengths to take advantage of a fun perk. Photocopying fake money?!? I mean really people...

And no, HAL is not to blame for not using more advanced anti-counterfiting methods. The people making photocopies knew they were wrong.

I partially blamed HAL because it was HAL staff handing out the photocopied Dam Dollars on the few cruises that I was on. I understood that the staff were the ones who made the photocopies.

I guess we began sailing on Hal ships after the Dam dollars program expired. We did participate in a shipboard Olympics event while on a Panama Canal cruise. We earned points that were recorded throughout the trip and on the final day the top3 men and women were awarded gifts. I think I got a mug for third place. It was fun and a good way to meet different people.

The Grand dollars on grand voyages have replaced the Dam dollars. We get lots of these on any WC or grand voyages. Actually, last week we redeemed them for small media players and portable mini chargers. Small items, easy to bring home.

People here have mentionned photocopying of the DAM dollars, well actually on one of the Grand voyages, we were told that someone had stolen the Grand dollars package that the Cruise director had left behind his back !!!:eek:

Edited by happyglobetrotter