Which port to rent a car?

cls711

We will be in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau in May. We have been to all before and done our favorite excursions in each. But we've never rented a car in any. What is the best port to rent in as far as places to go and things to see off the beaten path? Any knowledge or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

We will be in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau in May. We have been to all before and done our favorite excursions in each. But we've never rented a car in any. What is the best port to rent in as far as places to go and things to see off the beaten path? Any knowledge or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

Skagway would be the first choice . You can drive up to Emerald lake in Canada . Keeo in mind you need a passport to cross into Canada.

I've rented cars in Juneau and Skagway. The trip to Carcross from Skagway was the drive of a lifetime! In Juneau we went out to Mendenhall Glacier, and it was great, the only reason we rented a car was for some flexibility. So if it is down to one port, Skagway. Both were a short walk from where the ship docked.

I have rented cars in all of them. What else are you doing? You claim you've done your "favorite excursions"? Not sure how often you go there, but there could be many favorites. :) and very worthwhile tours to consider. I'm always looking for, and find, new things to see and do.

So, I instead suggest, you find out where you could drive to in each area, and determine where are the interests and activities you are going to be interested in. HFiead to your library and perhaps, get Fodor's Alaska/Frommer's Alaska, each has details of attractions and basic maps.

and you may want to repeat "some of those favorites" I always do- every trip. :) Then you can fit in a car rental into your itinerary.