Princess hotels for port of Los Angeles/San Pedro?

sssteele

DH and I have our 1st cruise sailing out of the port of San Pedro, and we're thinking we might want to book Princess air,hotel and transfers.

Any idea who they are currently using or have used? Any thoughts on this tentative plan?

Thanks for your input.

DH and I have our 1st cruise sailing out of the port of San Pedro, and we're thinking we might want to book Princess air,hotel and transfers.

Any idea who they are currently using or have used? Any thoughts on this tentative plan?

Thanks for your input.

Last I heard, they were using the LAX Marriott...

If you get a great price...and you're only there for a quick overnight and trying to keep it simple, sure, it's okay...

The hotel is nice, the location is terrible...

There is nothing along that stretch but other airport hotels, airport-related office/industrial, long term parking lots and car rental lots.

For the transfer to the ship the next day, you are on their schedule--you will get to the ship when it's convenient for them...on a big bus with 40 others...

But, it does save you working out your own logistics...

My preference for a short one-night overnight is to grab an immediate shuttle from LAX directly to a hotel in San Pedro--preferably the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree...This gets all of your logistics out of the way right away...

The Crowne Plaza, for example, is only a few short blocks to the pier and the hotel provides a free shuttle to the ship...It will cost you around $34 plus tip for a shared shuttle LAX to San Pedro...If you are there for dinner, there are plenty of good restaurants within a couple of blocks of the CP...

In the morning, you can rise at your leisure...and arrive at the ship on your own schedule...

Hi,

We would not allow the cruise company to make decisions for us about flights and hotels. I'd book everything myself to make sure I got something that I would prefer. I don't like to wait for my transfers but prefer to go on my own schedule.

I suppose if it saved a lot of money I might consider it.

The advice you got above is easy to book yourself.

I too would avoid cruise air and hotels. We went through Carnival for my second cruise, first one out of Miami. It was supposed to be for a flight and a hotel room. Instead, we were given a red eyed flight arriving the morning of our cruise with use of a "day room" until leaving for the port. I immediately called my TA and said "no way." We changed it to a flight for the day before, getting into Miami in the evening with the hotel room for an actual sleep. The next morning we were at the elevator to go down for breakfast and the people coming out of the elevator looked bedraggled. Turned out they took whatever flight they were given and now were going to their rooms to nap before catching the shuttle.

Since then, I've made our flight or train arrangements and researched hotels. We can take a flight that best suits us and stay at a hotel in the area we want to stay at, as opposed to an airport hotel.

We did stay at the LAX Marriott once, but that was because we had an early morning flight to Honolulu to start our honeymoon. Other than that, I wouldn't want to stay by the airport. Think strip malls in the literal sense.:eek:

Many people recommend the San Pedro Doubletree or Crowne Plaza. I believe that both will shuttle you to the port for free so all you need to think about is getting from the airport to the hotel.

Like the others have said, Crown Plaza of Doubletree.

We have stayed at the Crown and they have their shuttle service fine tuned. We never waited for them.

This last time, our reservations got lost, and we were stuck trying to find a hotel near the terminal, due to the Long Beach grand Prix.

We ended up at the Sunrise Hotel.

It isn't the Crown, but it was pretty good, and they offer continental breakfast.

They offer a park and ride package, but I'm not sure about the shuttle.

We changed our minds and parked at the terminal.

Pat