Considering Jewel of the Seas

We are currently booked on the Celebrity Summit for February 2015, however, I am reading a lot of negative reviews. Since we have already booked our flights and we have our family coming down the week after, our only other choice is the Jewel of the Seas. We have cruised Princess and Celebrity, will we enjoy the Jewel?

This is not a specific answer, but just sharing my thoughts....

I have been on RCI 5 times, Princess once, and Disney once, and will be going on Jewel (for the first time) this June. I had a great time on all, and every ship has its own unique character/activities.

My impression of Jewel is that it will be more of the 'classic' cruise, unlike most of the other RCI that I have been on which were Voyager class and Freedom Class (which were loaded with activities). I expect to enjoy Jewel, but perhaps less active and more laid-back.

Regarding reviews of Summit (never having been on it), my experience is that reviews often over-emphasize the little negative things and that the overall experience is consistently good.

I have cruised on the Summit three times and radiance class ships (Jewel of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas 2X, and Brilliance of the Seas) and have had good experiences ever time. I wouldn't hesitate to cruise again on any of these ships.I always take negative reviews with a grain of salt as everyone's experiences and expectations vary.

Edited by marys350
add info.

Feel free to read my review that I started live for last week's cruise. The ship, the staff, and itinerary were wonderful. No complaints at all:).

The review is still currently being updated and is located in my signature.

Susan

Thanks for all your responses. I have went ahead and put Cabin 7108 on hold while we make our decision. From the deck plans, it appears that this cabin has a larger balcony.

Schmenge: We are not looking for a lot of activities, so I am beginning to think we are making the right choice.

Thanks for all your responses. I have went ahead and put Cabin 7108 on hold while we make our decision. From the deck plans, it appears that this cabin has a larger balcony.

Schmenge: We are not looking for a lot of activities, so I am beginning to think we are making the right choice.

We stayed in cabin 7108 on our recent Jewel of the Seas cruise and enjoyed the huge balcony.

You have made a great choice of ships and cabin locations..I have sailed JOS on a 12 night Baltic and will be sailing again on her to the Southern Caribbean this September and then again next September to the Pacific Northwest (so happy to have an RCI ship come back to the west coast)...Jewel is a classic Radiance class ship which hasn't had the updates yet and that is a plus to many of us that enjoy her...I don't doubt you will too. Have a wonderful cruise.

I sailed both of those ships last summer. They are both lovely ships, and both provide excellent cruising experiences. However, Jewel was the most boring ship we've ever been on. The shows were well below RCI standards, and the entertainment in smaller venues around the ship was terrible. On the other hand, on the Summit, we were blown away by the quantity and quality of live entertainment all over the ship. (There were 3 production shows on a 7 day cruise, with a significantly larger and more talented troupe. The lounge entertainer was amazing! There were jam sessions and extra concerts scheduled too) Service was superior, and so was the food. The only thing we thought was not as good on Summit was the buffet (less variety and not as pretty) however the free ice cream at the buffet entrance was a bonus (I wish I had a bowl of the cinnamon one now!)

There is no way I would take a cruise on Jewel over a cruise on Summit

Edited by DonnaK

I sailed both of those ships last summer. They are both lovely ships, and both provide excellent cruising experiences. However, Jewel was the most boring ship we've ever been on. The shows were well below RCI standards, and the entertainment in smaller venues around the ship was terrible. On the other hand, on the Summit, we were blown away by the quantity and quality of live entertainment all over the ship. (There were 3 production shows on a 7 day cruise, with a significantly larger and more talented troupe. The lounge entertainer was amazing! There were jam sessions and extra concerts scheduled too) Service was superior, and so was the food. The only thing we thought was not as good on Summit was the buffet (less variety and not as pretty) however the free ice cream at the buffet entrance was a bonus (I wish I had a bowl of the cinnamon one now!)

There is no way I would take a cruise on Jewel over a cruise on Summit

Our experience was just the opposite. We loved our 2 weeks on a jewel this January and are booked for 2 more next January and Yet again in January 2016. We cruised Summit the year before she was refurb end, and we're bored on board Summit. We couldn't sit through any of the shows in the theater, they were all so boring, and the lounges weren't any better.

Edited by Miss Vickie

I've sailed on the Summit and absolutely enjoyed it! Had an Aqua Class stateroom and loved access to their thermal spas and exclusive Blu Restaurant. I'm sailing on JOS for 1st time in July and looking forward to it! I put little stock in negative reviews because sometimes they are gripe sessions about small issues. Unless I see A LOT of the same negative reviews where the complaints are similar, I go with my gut. It's all based on personal choices.

I totally recommend the Summit!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Forums mobile app

I'm only posting because you asked.

We sailed the Jewel of the Seas last Dec.

First RC for us . Have been on many others

Carnival , Norwegian and Princess .

For us, it was the worst cruise ship we've

Been on. Not cruise, because the itinerary

Made up for it, but ship .

Our cabin was filthy with

Trash left from previous guests including

Their shoes. I notices windows , elevators

All dirty too. We had a hard time finding

Food outside of the dining room. I guess

In reducing prices they seriously have

Cut back. I was surprised how bad it was

Considering people rave about RC.

Princess has spoiled us by far and as far as

I'm concerned carnival is at least as good

If not better in my opinion.

We are going on RC again ( vision of the seas)in Oct but that's

Only because of a particular itinerary

But I have no expectations of anything

Royal and for the first time ill be bringing

Cleaning supplies!

I've sailed on the Summit and absolutely enjoyed it! Had an Aqua Class stateroom and loved access to their thermal spas and exclusive Blu Restaurant. I'm sailing on JOS for 1st time in July and looking forward to it! I put little stock in negative reviews because sometimes they are gripe sessions about small issues. Unless I see A LOT of the same negative reviews where the complaints are similar, I go with my gut. It's all based on personal choices.

I totally recommend the Summit!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Forums mobile app

I usually do not worry about negative reviews, however, when I see quite a few different reviews with the same complaints, I start listening.

Anyway, we have booked on the Jewel and looking forward to trying out Royal Carribean for the first time.

For us, it was the worst cruise ship we've

Been on. Not cruise, because the itinerary

Made up for it, but ship .

Our cabin was filthy with

Trash left from previous guests including

Their shoes. I notices windows , elevators

All dirty too. We had a hard time finding

Food outside of the dining room.

This was not our experience at all. We cruised on the Jewel in June 2013 and the ship was in great shape.

We are booked again for November of this year and very much looking forward to another wonderful cruise on the Jewel.

I usually do not worry about negative reviews, however, when I see quite a few different reviews with the same complaints, I start listening.

Anyway, we have booked on the Jewel and looking forward to trying out Royal Carribean for the first time.

Just got off the Jewell Sat. I went on the ship trying to figure out what everyone thinks is so terrible. I am pretty easy to get along with and as long as my room is clean I'm fine. The only things I did notice and I don't blame the crew members but the passengers for discarding glasses wherever they felt like even on the mini-golf course, and with the towel policy people aren't considerate enough to return them making it very difficult to know if the lounge chairs are empty! I know I am on vacation but I guess I am used to picking up after myself and don't think it's someone else's job to follow me around cleaning up my mess!