Your favorite Alaska excursion?

fdpevey

Your stories really are helping me form some plans. I appreciate the caution to get moving on this ... or have a Plan B. That's what I'm trying to do but am comforted by the fact that, with all these great stories, I could probably have a Plan A through Z!

Thanks again - and keep 'em coming. I enjoy hearing about the highlights of trips others have taken.

OP - Here's the thing. I'm easy to please! So here's what I can tell you.

First Alaska cruise I had no specific excursions booked and had an amazing time!

Juneau - I just walked up to the booth on the dock and purchased tickets on the "blue bus" to the Mendenhall glacier and back. I think it was like $15. There are other companies offering the same thing.

It was an easy trip but nothing fancy. Went out to the glacier, walked out to Nugget Falls, explored the national park exhibits. Come on, it's only $3. I was so glad I went early as when I was leaving around 2 p.m. all the cruise ship excursion people were arriving and it was a huge mob!

Ketchikan - First visit, I just walked around and shopped. Went up Creek Street, took the funicular up to Cape Fox Lodge ($1 at the time) , then walked down Married Man's Trail.

If you see any coupon books in the port as you are boarding the ship grab them because this is where they will come in handy.

Second trip I did the float plane trip on Island Wings. It was unspeakedly awesome! I highly recommend it.

On our Alaskan cruise we started in Juneau with Harv and Marv's Whale Watching/Mendenhall visit. If we had had to turn back that afternoon and head home I would have been ok. The excursion met and exceeded all of my expectations and I had dreamed of this for several years. My husband, on the other hand enjoyed the excursion but absolutely loved the trip into the Yukon with Dyea Dave and the railroad trip back down into Skagway while I found it fun and interesting. He happens to be from a RR family so it was perfect for him. We didn't have the funds to do a plane ride last time, but I am looking into that for my daughter and I while the guys are fishing in Ketchikan when we go in 2015. Do what interests you and what you can afford. I always take BudgetQueen's recommendations very seriously. Her comments on this board helped me immensely while planning my last Alaskan cruise in 2011. Be open to the amazing vista's and the great people of Alaska and I don't think you can go wrong!

I'm on a budget, so we haven't done any flight excursions. My favorites so far:

- Lake Bennett Scenic Journey with Chilkoot Charters from Skagway

- Whale watching with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises in Juneau

- Eagle Preserve Float in Haines from Skagway

I find it interesting that many people say they disliked certain excursions because the weather was bad and that they will never try them again. One of the reasons that the Eagle Preserve float trip is so memorable for me is because the weather was bad! It rained, but that just made it more of an adventure. We had a fun group on our raft and we joked and laughed about the weather and just made the best of it. I'm not sure it would have been as fun if it had been sunny and warm.

I've been on 3 Alaska cruises so far and both my favorite tours were in Juneau. The first was a helicopter trip up onto a Glacier with an hour hike before flying back. The other was the canoe trip across Mendenhall lake to the Glacier and back. I plan to do this one again next time I'm in Juneau. While the flight was a "once in a life time" trip (at least cost-wise for me) the canoe trip was a bargain and I really felt like I'd accomplished something paddling across the lake & back. Both trips let me really appreciate the wonder of the glacier so much more intensely than the bus trip to the visitor center and hike to the falls.

I highly recommend visiting Alaska Outdoor Rentals & Guides. They are located at Pioneer Park on the Chena River. They have a two- to three hour canoe or kayak float down the river. Beautiful way to see the town--and lifestyles of Alaskans! The float ends at the Pump House, a national historic landmark with a deck overlooking the river. Makes for a relaxing day...

I am impressed by the wide variety of experiences that you are sharing. Some of you are a bit more adventurous than I expect we will be (no, I am probably not going to canoe across a lake) but I am experiencing it vicariously through your stories.

Thanks.

My favorite is the all day trip from Juneau to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound.

This...Especially if you get to see both glaciers. Even though its a glacier/fjord tour, we have seen so much wildlife on this tour...bears, mountain goats, eagles by the bucketful, whales, and seals (with cute seal babies). Its a must do!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have only booked a float plane trip in Ketchikan. Time is running out and I still don't know if I should book something in the other ports or just "wing it". I know everyone suggests the train ride in Skagway, but I am not really a fan of slow train rides - other than renting a car - any other suggestions for Skagway?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have only booked a float plane trip in Ketchikan. Time is running out and I still don't know if I should book something in the other ports or just "wing it". I know everyone suggests the train ride in Skagway, but I am not really a fan of slow train rides - other than renting a car - any other suggestions for Skagway?

Take a look at the shore excursion list. Pretty comprehensive list to get ideas.

Why would YOU consider the "train", if it's not of interest? Plenty else to consider, from walking tours, hikes, bike rides, flights, fishing, rafting etc etc etc

http://www.skagway.com

Take a look at the shore excursion list. Pretty comprehensive list to get ideas.

Why would YOU consider the "train", if it's not of interest? Plenty else to consider, from walking tours, hikes, bike rides, flights, fishing, rafting etc etc etc

www.skagway.com

Thanks for the input. We have made a decision (finally) we are going to rent a vehicle, seems like the best option for us to see the sights. I booked a reservation through Avis, but now have found Alaska Green Jeeps - any opinions on which would be better? Anyone rent from Green Jeeps before?

Thanks for the input. We have made a decision (finally) we are going to rent a vehicle, seems like the best option for us to see the sights. I booked a reservation through Avis, but now have found Alaska Green Jeeps - any opinions on which would be better? Anyone rent from Green Jeeps before?

The reason to rent a "jeep" would be, because you want to drive one. :) As far as I have heard there is no off roading allowed. This is a higher priced option. I don't see any benefit for my priorities.

The reason to rent a "jeep" would be, because you want to drive one. :) As far as I have heard there is no off roading allowed. This is a higher priced option.

We have a jeep reserved for later this month, and the info provided says off roading is allowed and they encourage the drive to Dyea which I understand is not paved so rental car not allowed? Obviously we haven't been yet so I could be wrong. Just know what the contract says. They also provide road guide, drinks, & snacks. The OP might check out their website for details.

We have a jeep reserved for later this month, and the info provided says off roading is allowed and they encourage the drive to Dyea which I understand is not paved so rental car not allowed? Obviously we haven't been yet so I could be wrong. Just know what the contract says. They also provide road guide, drinks, & snacks. The OP might check out their website for details.

Dyea Rd is not the "off roading" I'm referring to. Will they let you drive down any "path" you might find? The Dyea Road is in good shape and plenty of rental cars drive it, legal or not. I don't find the "snacks" a benefit for my priorities, and Murray's Guide, is likely to be more detailed (if they aren't using it).

People like driving jeeps, so this is a good option for some people. But the jeep rental is more costly compared to a rental car, so two great options to consider.

On our trip we did some of the things others have already mentioned such as the Tundra Wilderness Tour , which was excellent , and the White Pass in Skagway , but my vote for the best would have to be whale watching with Harv & Marv in Juneau. Small boat , just six people , and they took it to a real personal level. We were treated like we were kings. Saw everything there was to see plus some bonus time at Mendenhall Glacier on the way back to the ship.

My vote is the "Adventure Bound" out of Juneau. We did this back in 2008 and are doing it again in August. If you have a long port day this excursion is wonder ful. I felt I saw the real Alaska. It was wonderful. Not every ship is in port long enough to do this so if yours is I would check it out. Best excursion we have ever done anywhere and we have been on 20 cruises.

• 1 year later...

My top favorite is still the Adventure Bound trip into Tracy Arm from Juneau. Did it again last year and will repeat every time I get the chance. In second would be a flightseeing trip over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying from Skagway (he is based in Haines) Spectacular flight and great value for the flight time I had.

Thanks for ringing in, Doug. Was your flight seeing trip from Skagway by helicopter or other plane? Did you happen to do copter glacier flight seeing in Juneau as well? I wonder how similar they are.

We loved Tracy Arm as well. My other two favorites were Juneau copter flight seeing and landing, and Misty Fjords flight seeing and landing. Also Sea Otter in Sitka.

We'll be visiting some ports we haven't been to on our upcoming (May) 14- day Vancouver-Vancouver trip. Not at all looking forward to either Prince Rupert or Wrangell, but mighty looking forward to going back to the other ports. Didn't much enjoy the towns, but sure loved the "natural"scenery!

Here are some ones I liked...

Skagway = White Pass Railroad is my favorite shore excursion out of 18 cruises.

I can highly recommend going into the Yukon. There is a tour which combines both.

Juneau= Mendenhall Glacier, Mount Roberts. I've been on the hiking tours twice.

Ketchikan= I found the boat to Misty Fjords better than the airplane considering the time/money ratio. My plane ride was too short for price paid !

Vancouver= should be more than simply an embarkation/debarkation stop. It merits a day or more in of itself. Gastown and Stanley Park are must see.

Victoria = the Empress Hotel ( high tea ) and Burchart gardens are fabulous .