how do I cancel with trip insurance?

Grandma7

Due to bad news I have to cancel my cruise in 4 weeks. Thank goodness I got trip insurance thru Celebrity. The reason I have to cancel should be covered. Do I call Celebrity customer service? If so, I dread the waiting on hold. Any time I have called them for anything it has been a minimum of 30-40 minutes. Appreciate your help.

If you do not have a TA you will have to call....cut your best deal for any credit back...you will get refund on card less the ins cost, inc any cruise line booked excursions, dinners , add ons etc. Then make sure you review the policy in your cruise docs, brochure or elsewhere...must also call ins co to start the process.. Gather med reports or other proof of covered reason..

We had to cancel once w/Royal C many yrs ago due to a last min health emergency. For me...gallbladder....ran quite smoothly...we fly w/SW Air so just cancelled and got our air credit...

also had to cancel a much bigger trip on Princess for Europe a few yrs ago dtr received serious diagnosis...needed surgery (shes doing very well now) .we had pvt co. ins that also covered air, cruise and excursions...cancelling cruise was easy but we had to cancel all our privately booked excursions....that was a pain..on most we got refunds but one had to go thru the ins...glad we booked some with a tour company in dollars instead of Euros

dealing w/Virgin Atlantic for the air costs was awful...they are over automated and on diff

Zones...and not very people friendly or compassionate...they took a long time for the refund...and deducted the massive fees as permitted by law...so for the uncovered amts for this, the excursion we did not get refunded and cruise fare...had to go thru ins...

At first they tried to claim that newly diagnosed breast cancer was a pre-existing condition...had to submit lots of dr reports and get a more resonable ins rep to assist b/c I was never going to let them get away with denying our legitimate claim....

we belive in the ins....and hope u have an easy time with your claim and the cause of needing to cancel.

Edited by hcat

Thanks for info.My 34 yo daughter unexpectedly dx'd with breast cancer last wee.is in lymph nodes and very aggressive so staring txt this week. Will celebrity give me info of the insurance company and advise me of what to do? My brain isn't thinking very clearly.

Thanks for info.My 34 yo daughter unexpectedly dx'd with breast cancer last wee.is in lymph nodes and very aggressive so staring txt this week. Will celebrity give me info of the insurance company and advise me of what to do? My brain isn't thinking very clearly.

So sorry to hear of your DD's health crisis. :(

If you bought your trip insurance through X, they should be able to give you the phone number for CruiseCare, when you call to cancel the cruise. Back in the old days of paper documents, I remember that we used to receive a CruiseCare contract with information and phone numbers, when we got our docs in the mail. I guess that now you'd have to wade through all of those e-docs to find it, if the X reps don't know the CruiseCare number. Good luck and God Bless....

If you purchased insurance not through Celebrity, you need to call your insurance company to file a claim. Make notes of who you speak to and when. They will send you the claim forms. They will likely require a note from your daughter's doctor. The claim forms will tell you how quickly you need to send them back. Perhaps you have a friend who can make these calls for you and help deal with the paper work; I know I always look for ways to help in situations like this.

All the best to her and your family.

Our dtr was 33...also very type of agressive.cancer....she wss single, no children at time of diagnosis....but went through all the treatments and reconstruction and is doing well now...having a huge wedding in June to the man who stuck with her through it all...

They plan to start a family soon after the wedding...

once you make your call to cancel and start ins process.,.you can be 100% for your dtr..

I will pray for her and your family every day.,.,,

Prayers for your daughter and your family during this time of illness. If you booked with a travel agent, they should be able to take care of filing the claim for you so you will have one less thing to worry about. Make sure you keep record of every phone call you make with the date, times, person spoke to, and keep copies of all your paperwork you sent to them. Don't be surprised if it takes a month or longer to get your refunds. It seems sometimes the insurance company makes you jump through hoops just to delay payment.

Be patient and you will get your refund.

It seems sometimes the insurance company makes you jump through hoops just to delay payment.

I know it might seem that way sometimes, but I work for one of the major travel insurance providers and I can tell you that we, at least, try to process claims as quickly as possible. Depending on the situation, there can be quite a bit of documentation that needs to be provided (aka "hoops"), but the purpose is to certify that what the insured says happened did happen, and they lost what they say they lost. Would that we could go on the assumption that no one would ever provide incorrect information, deliberately or otherwise, but sadly that's not the case.

Ledbetn, I'm sending good thoughts for you and your daughter.